Folic acid is the synthetic form of folate, a B-complex vitamin that is also known as B-9 2. The terms “folic acid” and “folate” are used interchangeably, since they refer to the same nutrient. Orange juice is a natural source of folate, with 1 cup providing 74.4 micrograms of the vitamin.
Folic Acid’s Function
Folic acid facilitates the making of protein, red blood cells and DNA, the carrier of your genetic identity. The nutrient is also essential for tissue to grow and cells to function properly. Folic acid in supplement form corrects a deficiency of the nutrient. It also prevents birth defects. Your doctor prescribes folic acid supplementation when she sees it can benefit your health or the health of a fetus. Take the dietary supplement under your physician’s care.
- Folic acid facilitates the making of protein, red blood cells and DNA, the carrier of your genetic identity.
- Folic acid in supplement form corrects a deficiency of the nutrient.
Folic Acid in Orange Juice
Protein Content of Canned Salmon
The amount of folic acid in 1 cup of orange juice falls short of the adequate daily adult intake for the vitamin. The Food and Nutrition Board of the Institute of Medicine recommends 400 micrograms of the nutrient every day from the age of 14 years through adulthood. The intake for younger people ranges from 65 micrograms to 300 micrograms.
Complementing Orange Juice
Orange juice is nutritious, but it isn’t a complete source of nutrients. Include other sources of folic acid in your daily menu for variety and for the additional vitamins and minerals oranges do not give you. The foods that contain folic acid include:
- whole-grain products
- dark greens
Orange Juice, Folic Acid and Protein
Acorn Squash Nutrition Information
Folic acid, in combination with vitamins B-12 and C, makes it possible for your body to digest protein and make new ones. Orange juice provides vitamin C. B-12 is not available in oranges, but your body keeps stores of it in your liver. Thus, your in-house manufacturing system should be able to keep you well supplied with proteins when you have a serving of orange juice regularly.
Protein Content of Canned Salmon
Acorn Squash Nutrition Information
Nutritional Value for Raw Carrot Juice
Nutritional Values for Monkfish
Can You Take Vitamin B-6 if Taking Warfarin?
Folic Acid for Liver Damage
The Health Benefits of Herring
The Health Benefits of Liver
Baked Haddock Nutritional Values
Vitamins in Salad Greens
- SkipThePie.org: Nutritional Info: Orange Juice, Raw
- University of Maryland Medical Center; Folic Acid in Diet--All Information; David Zieve, M.D., M.H.A., et al.; Nov. 6, 2009
- University of Maryland Medical Center; Vitamin B12--All Information; Linda Vorvick, M.D., et al.; Mar. 14, 2009
- Donnelly JG. Folic acid. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2001;38(3):183-223.
- Scaglione F, Panzavolta G. Folate, folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate are not the same thing. Xenobiotica. 2014;44(5):480-8.
- Figueiredo JC, Grau MV, Haile RW, et al. Folic acid and risk of prostate cancer: results from a randomized clinical trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009;101(6):432–435. doi:10.1093/jnci/djp019
- Spina bifida and anencephaly before and after folic acid mandate--United States, 1995-1996 and 1999-2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53(17):362-5.
- Bastian H. Lucy Wills (1888-1964): the life and research of an adventurous independent woman. J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 2008;38(1):89-91.
- Visentin M, Zhao R, Goldman ID. The antifolates. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2012;26(3):629–ix. doi:10.1016/j.hoc.2012.02.002
- Greenberg JA, Bell SJ, Guan Y, Yu YH. Folic Acid supplementation and pregnancy: more than just neural tube defect prevention. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2011;4(2):52–59.
- Northrup H, Volcik KA. Spina bifida and other neural tube defects. Curr Probl Pediatr. 2000;30(10):313-32.
- Crider KS, Bailey LB, Berry RJ. Folic acid food fortification-its history, effect, concerns, and future directions. Nutrients. 2011;3(3):370–384. doi:10.3390/nu3030370
- Fousekis FS, Theopistos VI, Katsanos KH, Tsianos EV, Christodoulou DK. Hepatobiliary Manifestations and Complications in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Review. Gastroenterology Res. 2018;11(2):83–94. doi:10.14740/gr990w
- Hariz A, Bhattacharya PT. Megaloblastic Anemia. [Updated 2019 Jan 23]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537254/
- Maron BA, Loscalzo J. The treatment of hyperhomocysteinemia. Annu Rev Med. 2009;60:39–54. doi:10.1146/annurev.med.60.041807.123308
- Tinelli C, Di Pino A, Ficulle E, Marcelli S, Feligioni M. Hyperhomocysteinemia as a Risk Factor and Potential Nutraceutical Target for Certain Pathologies. Front Nutr. 2019;6:49. Published 2019 Apr 24. doi:10.3389/fnut.2019.00049
- Juhlin L, Olsson MJ. Improvement of vitiligo after oral treatment with vitamin B12 and folic acid and the importance of sun exposure. Acta Derm Venereol. 1997;77(6):460-2.
- Merle BM, Silver RE, Rosner B, Seddon JM. Dietary folate, B vitamins, genetic susceptibility and progression to advanced nonexudative age-related macular degeneration with geographic atrophy: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;103(4):1135-44.
- Tian T, Yang KQ, Cui JG, Zhou LL, Zhou XL. Folic Acid Supplementation for Stroke Prevention in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354(4):379-387.
- Hsu CY, Chiu SW, Hong KS, et al. Folic Acid in Stroke Prevention in Countries without Mandatory Folic Acid Food Fortification: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Stroke. 2018;20(1):99–109. doi:10.5853/jos.2017.01522
- McRae MP. High-dose folic acid supplementation effects on endothelial function and blood pressure in hypertensive patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. J Chiropr Med. 2009;8(1):15–24. doi:10.1016/j.jcm.2008.09.001
- Zhao G, Ford ES, Li C, Greenlund KJ, Croft JB, Balluz LS. Use of folic acid and vitamin supplementation among adults with depression and anxiety: a cross-sectional, population-based survey. Nutr J. 2011;10:102.
- Gisondi P, Fantuzzi F, Malerba M, Girolomoni G. Folic acid in general medicine and dermatology. J Dermatolog Treat. 2007;18(3):138-46.
- Reynolds EH. Folic acid, ageing, depression, and dementia. BMJ. 2002;324(7352):1512–1515. doi:10.1136/bmj.324.7352.1512
- Nucera E, Aruanno A, Mezzacappa S, Pascolini L, Buonomo A, Schiavino D. Hypersensitivity reactions to folic acid: Three case reports and a review of the literature. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2018;32:2058738418817704. Published 2018 Dec 17. doi:10.1177/2058738418817704
- Pieroth R, Paver S, Day S, Lammersfeld C. Folate and Its Impact on Cancer Risk. Curr Nutr Rep. 2018;7(3):70–84. doi:10.1007/s13668-018-0237-y
- Lewis DP, Van dyke DC, Willhite LA, Stumbo PJ, Berg MJ. Phenytoin-folic acid interaction. Ann Pharmacother. 1995;29(7-8):726-35.
- Selhub J, Dhar GJ, Rosenberg IH. Inhibition of folate enzymes by sulfasalazine. J Clin Invest. 1978;61(1):221-4.
- Kennedy DO. B Vitamins and the Brain: Mechanisms, Dose and Efficacy--A Review. Nutrients. 2016;8(2):68. Published 2016 Jan 27. doi:10.3390/nu8020068
- Starr RR. Too little, too late: ineffective regulation of dietary supplements in the United States. Am J Public Health. 2015;105(3):478–485. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2014.302348
- Troesch B, Demmelmair J, Gimpfl M, et al. Suitability and safety of L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate as a folate source in infant formula: A randomized-controlled trial. PLoS One. 2019;14(8):e0216790. Published 2019 Aug 19. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0216790
- Pintó X, Vilaseca MA, Balcells S, et al. A folate-rich diet is as effective as folic acid from supplements in decreasing plasma homocysteine concentrations. Int J Med Sci. 2005;2(2):58–63. doi:10.7150/ijms.2.58
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Committee on Genetics. Folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects. Pediatrics. 1999 Aug;104(2 Pt 1):325-7.
- Juhlin, L. and Olsson, M. Improvement of vitiligo after oral treatment with vitamin B12 and folic acid and the importance of sun exposure. Acta Derm Venereol. 1997 Nov;77(6):460-2. DOI: 10.2340/000155555577460462.
- Li, Y.; Huang, T.; Zheng, Y. et al. Folic Acid Supplementation and the Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases: A Meta‐Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. JAHA. 2016;5(8):pii: e003768. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.116.003768.
- Merle, B.; Silver, R.; Rosner, B. et al. Dietary folate, B vitamins, genetic susceptibility and progression to advanced nonexudative age-related macular degeneration with geographic atrophy: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Apr;103(4):1135-44. DOI: 10.3945/ajcn.115.117606.
- Zhao, G.; Ford, E.; Li, C. et al. Use of folic acid and vitamin supplementation among adults with depression and anxiety: a cross-sectional, population-based survey. Nutrition Journal. 2011;10:102. DOI: 10.1186/1475-2891-10-102.
Emma Watkins writes on finance, fitness and gardening. Her articles and essays have appeared in "Writer's Digest," "The Writer," "From House to Home," "Big Apple Parent" and other online and print venues. Watkins holds a Master of Arts in psychology.