What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Banana & Kiwi Allergies
Bananas and kiwi fruit often are high on the list of recommended foods because they are high in fiber and potassium, low in sodium and fat and good sources of needed vitamins, including A, C and E. Unfortunately, they also contain proteins that cause allergic reactions in some people. These fruit allergies typically occur in teens and young adults but occasionally appear in infants and children, as well.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Bananas are excellent sources of potassium, vitamin C and fiber. They also contain beneficial amino acids and very little sodium. Stomach and digestive reactions also may occur. Serious allergic reactions are rare with bananas but require immediate medical attention if they occur.
- Bananas are excellent sources of potassium, vitamin C and fiber.
- Stomach and digestive reactions also may occur.
Cashew & Mango Allergies
Kiwi fruit, also known as Chinese gooseberry, offers many nutritional benefits. One kiwi fruit provides as much potassium as a banana and more vitamin C than an orange, plus vitamins A and E and beta-carotene. It also is a good source of fiber and antioxidants. Like the banana, however, kiwi fruits contain proteins that can cause allergies. The most common reactions are itching, tingling and hives, similar to banana allergies.
- Kiwi fruit, also known as Chinese gooseberry, offers many nutritional benefits.
- Like the banana, however, kiwi fruits contain proteins that can cause allergies.
Related Fruit Allergies
Other fruits also contain proteins that may cause allergic reactions. An individual who is allergic to bananas or kiwi fruits is likely to have allergic reactions to melon, watermelon, citrus fruits or tomatoes. Those allergic to kiwi also may be allergic to bananas and vice versa, though this is not always the case. Typically, an individual with fruit allergies is allergic to any fruits containing the same family of proteins. For example, apples, pears, cherries, peaches and plums are one family of proteins. Melons, watermelons, zucchini, cucumbers and pumpkins are another. Bananas and kiwi fruit are most reactive with the foods in this second protein family.
- Other fruits also contain proteins that may cause allergic reactions.
- Typically, an individual with fruit allergies is allergic to any fruits containing the same family of proteins.
Individuals with allergies to either kiwi fruit or bananas often are allergic to other substances, particularly pollens and latex. These are known as cross-reactive allergies, in which an allergy to one of the substances is tied to allergies to one or more other substances. According to Allergic Living magazine, this is because the immune system identifies common elements of these substances and reacts similarly to them. Those with allergies to latex or pollen should be alert to possible signs of an allergy with bananas or kiwi fruit, and vice versa, but this does not occur in all cases 4.
- Individuals with allergies to either kiwi fruit or bananas often are allergic to other substances, particularly pollens and latex.
- Those with allergies to latex or pollen should be alert to possible signs of an allergy with bananas or kiwi fruit, and vice versa, but this does not occur in all cases 4.
Cashew & Mango Allergies
Symptoms of Allergy to Stone Fruit
Allergy to Cardboard
Allergic Reaction to Bactrim DS
Allergy to Eggplant
Can an Allergic Reaction Look Like Bites?
Which Fruits Are Low in Potassium?
Are There Foods That Act As Antihistamines?
Basil Allergy Reasons
- Allergic Living; Serious Fruit Allergy: Kiwi; Jennifer Van Evra
- Family Doctor: Latex Allergy: Is There a Connection Between Latex Allergy and Foods?
- Sydney Children's Hospital: Fact Sheet -- Fruit and Vegetable Allergy
- Asthma and Allergy Foundation of American; Food Allergies; 2005
- Forastiere F, Pistelli R, Sestini P, Fortes C, Renzoni E, Rusconi F, Dell'Orco V, Ciccone G, Bisanti, L, the SIDRIA Collaborative Group, Italy (Italian Studies on Respiratory Disorders in Children and the Environment). Consumption of fresh fruit rich in vitamin C and wheezing symptoms in children. Thorax. 2000;55(4):283-8. doi:10.1136/thorax.55.4.283
- Wang J, Vanga SK, Mccusker C, Raghavan V. A comprehensive review on kiwifruit allergy: Pathogenesis, diagnosis, management, and potential modification of allergens through processing. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety. 2019;18(2):500-513. doi:10.1111/1541-4337.12426
As a national security analyst for the U.S. government, Molly Thompson wrote extensively for classified USG publications. Thompson established and runs a strategic analysis company, is a professional genealogist and participates in numerous community organizations.Thompson holds degrees from Wellesley and Georgetown in psychology, political science and international relations.