How to Use the Ratios for Using Flaxseed Meal Instead of Butter
Flaxseed meal is an excellent source of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which reduce the risk of heart disease. You can use a 3-to-1 ratio to replace butter or oil with flaxseed meal. Substituting 3 tbsp. flaxseed meal for 1 tbsp 1. butter increases the calorie content of your recipe slightly because 3 tbsp. flaxseed meal contains 112 calories and 9 g fat compared to 102 calories and 11.5 g fat in 1 tbsp. butter. However, the substitution reduces the saturated fat of your recipe from 7 g to 1 g and adds 6 g fiber and 5 g omega-3 fat.
Determine the amount of butter or oil called for in your recipe.
How Much EPA & DHA Are in Chia Seeds?
Multiply the amount of butter or oil by 3. For example, if the recipe calls for 1/3 cup butter, multiply by 3 to equal 1 cup.
Measure the converted amount of flaxseed meal – 1 cup, in the example – and add it when your recipe calls for butter or oil.
You may need to add 1 to 2 tbsp. water or other liquid to your recipe for each tbsp. butter or oil you substitute with flaxseed. Liquid needs vary from recipe to recipe. If you're substituting for oil, you made need a bit of water to create a batter of the proper consistency; if you are substituting for butter, you are less likely to need added water. For a less drastic change in your recipe, substitute only part of the butter or oil with flaxseed. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup butter, use 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups flaxseed meal.
How Much EPA & DHA Are in Chia Seeds?
The Safe Amount of Flaxseed Oil for Children
Is Butter on the Glycemic Index?
Vitamins & Flax Seeds
How to Eat Ground Flaxseed
Diabetics and Butter
How to Use Annatto Powder
What Are the Benefits of Groundnut Oil?
Benefits of Flaxseed Oil Capsules
List of Roughage Foods
- USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Seeds, Flaxseed
- "Circulation"; Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations Revision 2006; Alice H. Lichtenstein, et al.; July 2006
- Goyal A, Sharma V, Upadhyay N, Gill S, Sihag M. Flax and flaxseed oil: an ancient medicine & modern functional food. J Food Sci Technol. 2014;51(9):1633-53. doi:10.1007/s13197-013-1247-9
- Ren GY, Chen CY, Chen GC, et al. Effect of flaxseed intervention on inflammatory marker C-reactive protein: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Nutrients. 2016;8(3):136. doi:10.3390/nu8030136
- Okinyo-Owiti DP, Dong Q, Ling B, et al. Evaluating the cytotoxicity of flaxseed orbitides for potential cancer treatment. Toxicol Rep. 2015;2:1014-1018. doi:10.1016/j.toxrep.2015.06.011
- Lowcock EC, Cotterchio M, Boucher BA. Consumption of flaxseed, a rich source of lignans, is associated with reduced breast cancer risk. Cancer Causes Control. 2013;24(4):813-6. doi:10.1007/s10552-013-0155-7
- Ramos CI, Andrade de Lima AF, Grilli DG, Cuppari L. The short-term effects of olive oil and flaxseed oil for the treatment of constipation in hemodialysis patients. J Ren Nutr. 2015;25(1):50-6. doi:10.1053/j.jrn.2014.07.009
- Styrczewska M, Kostyn A, Kulma A, et al. Flax fiber hydrophobic extract inhibits human skin cells inflammation and causes remodeling of extracellular matrix and wound closure activation. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:862391. doi:10.1155/2015/862391
- Ibrügger S, Kristensen M, Mikkelsen MS, Astrup A. Flaxseed dietary fiber supplements for suppression of appetite and food intake. Appetite. 2012;58(2):490-5. doi:10.1016/j.appet.2011.12.024
- Cetisli NE, Saruhan A, Kivcak B. The effects of flaxseed on menopausal symptoms and quality of life. Holist Nurs Pract. 2015;29(3):151-7. doi:10.1097/HNP.0000000000000085
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Flaxseed and flaxseed oil. Updated September 2016.
- O'Keefe A, Kapur S, Rex G, Watson W. Flax seed allergy in children: an emerging allergen? Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2010; 6(Suppl 2):P6. doi:10.1186/1710-1492-6-S2-P6
- Hackshaw-McGeagh LE, Perry RE, Leach VA, et al. A systematic review of dietary, nutritional, and physical activity interventions for the prevention of prostate cancer progression and mortality. Cancer Causes Control. 2015;26(11):1521-50. doi:10.1007/s10552-015-0659-4
- Carleton AJ, Sievenpiper JL, De Souza R, McKeown-Eyssen G, Jenkins DJ. Case-control and prospective studies of dietary α-linolenic acid intake and prostate cancer risk: a meta-analysis. BMJ Open. 2013;3(5). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2012-002280
- Setayesh M, Sadeghifar AR, Nakhaee N, Kamalinejad M, Rezaeizadeh H. A topical gel from flax seed oil compared with hand splint in carpal tunnel syndrome: A randomized clinical trial. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med. 2017;22(3):462-467. doi:10.1177/2156587216677822
- UW Medicine Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine. Medications to avoid before surgery.
- Mount Sinai Health Library. Flaxseed oil.
- Kajla P, Sharma A, Sood DR. Flaxseed--a potential functional food source. J Food Sci Technol. 2015;52(4):1857-71. doi:10.1007/s13197-014-1293-y
- Cockerell KM, Watkins AS, Reeves LB, Goddard L, Lomer MC. Effects of linseeds on the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: a pilot randomised controlled trial. J Hum Nutr Diet. 2012;25(5):435-43. doi:10.1111/j.1365-277X.2012.01263.x
- Kaithwas G, Majumdar DK. Effect of L. usitatissimum (flaxseed/linseed) fixed oil against distinct phases of inflammation. ISRN Inflamm. 2013;2013:735158. doi:10.1155/2013/735158
- Ward HA, Kuhnle GG, Mulligan AA, Lentjes MA, Luben RN, Khaw KT. Breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer risk in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition-Norfolk in relation to phytoestrogen intake derived from an improved database. Am J Clin Nutr. 2010;91(2):440-8. doi:10.3945/ajcn.2009.28282
- You may need to add 1 to 2 tbsp. water or other liquid to your recipe for each tbsp. butter or oil you substitute with flaxseed. Liquid needs vary from recipe to recipe. If you're substituting for oil, you made need a bit of water to create a batter of the proper consistency; if you are substituting for butter, you are less likely to need added water.
- For a less drastic change in your recipe, substitute only part of the butter or oil with flaxseed. For example, if the recipe calls for 1 cup butter, use 1/2 cup butter and 1 1/2 cups flaxseed meal.
Chance Woods has been a personal trainer since 2002, specializing in fitness and nutrition. She holds a Bachelor of Science in dietetics.