How to Substitute White Sugar for Brown in Caramel Sauce
The texture and taste characteristic of caramel sauce comes from heating white or brown sugar with a variety of additional ingredients 1. The sugar in a recipe often determines how difficult the sauce is to make. For example, caramel sauce recipes that use white sugar often take longer to make and include detailed instructions, while recipes that use brown sugar are usually much simpler 1. If simple sounds better but you have no brown sugar, you can easily substitute white for borwn with the addition of molasses.
Substitute equal amounts of white for the brown sugar in your recipe.
Calories in 1/4 Cup Sugar
Mix 1 tbsp. of light molasses per cup of sugar if your recipe calls for light brown sugar and 2 tbsp. if your recipe calls for dark brown sugar. This combination more closely resembles brown sugar and improves the color and taste of the caramel sauce 1.
Reduce the amount of liquid the caramel sauce recipe calls for by 3/4 tbsp 1. for each 1 tbsp. of molasses. For example, if you add 2 tbsp. of molasses and your recipe calls for 1/2 cup of liquid, remove 1 1/2 tbsp. of liquid from the measuring cup before adding it to your sauce. This keeps the sauce from becoming too thin.
Although 1 cup of white sugar weighs 8 oz. while a cup of brown sugar weighs only 6 oz., the difference in weight does not require adjusting the amounts of additional ingredients. However, substituting on a one-to-one basis affects the color and taste of the caramel sauce.
Calories in 1/4 Cup Sugar
What Is White Honey?
White Sugar vs. Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
How to Replace Sugar With Evaporated Cane Juice
Is Sucanat Healthy?
How to Make Jam With Honey
How to Substitute Applesauce for Sugar
How Many Calories in Red Stripe Beer?
How to Infuse Flavors Into Cupcakes
How to Substitute Olive Oil for Veggie Oil in a Salad Dressing
- Food Network: Caramel Sauce; Ina Garten
- O Chef: Using Sugar, Brown, Honey & Maple Syrup Interchangeably
- Soy sauce. FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2020.
- Blair RM, Henley EC, Tabor A. Soy foods have low glycemic and insulin response indices in normal weight subjects. Nutr J. 2006;5:35. Published 2006 Dec 27. doi:10.1186/1475-2891-5-35
- Rizzo G, Baroni L. Soy, soy foods and their role in vegetarian diets. Nutrients. 2018;10(1):43. Published 2018 Jan 5. doi:10.3390/nu10010043
- Wang H, Jenner AM, Lee CY, et al. The identification of antioxidants in dark soy sauce. Free Radic Res. 2007;41(4):479-88. doi:10.1080/10715760601110871
- Yang, B., Prasad, K. N., Xie, H., Lin, S., & Jiang, Y. Structural characteristics of oligosaccharides from soy sauce lees and their potential prebiotic effect on lactic acid bacteria. Food Chemistry. (2011). 126(2), 590–594. doi:10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.11.048
- Soy Allergy. American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. Updated April 9, 2019
- Shaking the Salt Habit to Lower High Blood Pressure. American Heart Association. Oct 31, 2016
- Questions and Answers on Monosodium Glutamate (MSG). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. November 19, 2012
- Soy Sauce. USDA FoodKeeper App. Updated April 26, 2019
- Although 1 cup of white sugar weighs 8 oz. while a cup of brown sugar weighs only 6 oz., the difference in weight does not require adjusting the amounts of additional ingredients. However, substituting on a one-to-one basis affects the color and taste of the caramel sauce.
Based in Green Bay, Wisc., Jackie Lohrey has been writing professionally since 2009. In addition to writing web content and training manuals for small business clients and nonprofit organizations, including ERA Realtors and the Bay Area Humane Society, Lohrey also works as a finance data analyst for a global business outsourcing company.