Folic acid is a B vitamin that everyone needs. Because it was originally popular for the prevention of serious neural defects, it's been a requirement by U.S. federal law to fortify foods since 1988. However, the popularity of the drug is breaking into new horizons, with bodybuilding being its latest conquest. You need to exercise care in your adoption of this drug in its new-found role, however.
Rational for Folic Acid Use
Folic acid helps in forming DNA. Proteins supply the building blocks you need to build body mass, but without folic acid, your body cannot access many of these amino-acid building blocks. As a B vitamin, folic acid is indispensable in many enzyme systems that your body needs to build the much-needed proteins. Though not an enzyme itself, folic acid supports enzymes in their work, a role referred to in medical parlance as a coenzyme. This explains why folic acid is popular among bodybuilders.
- Folic acid helps in forming DNA.
- As a B vitamin, folic acid is indispensable in many enzyme systems that your body needs to build the much-needed proteins.
How it Works
How to Put on a Hospital Gown
Folic acid works with vitamin B-12 to form hemoglobin in blood, then it helps your body to build new cells from amino acid building blocks. Were it to form body mass alone, you could become a lazy mass of muscle. However, by helping to form hemoglobin, folic acid gives you increased oxygen carrying power, which is indispensable for optimum performance. This dual role makes folic acid an important part of the bodybuilding process.
- Folic acid works with vitamin B-12 to form hemoglobin in blood, then it helps your body to build new cells from amino acid building blocks.
- However, by helping to form hemoglobin, folic acid gives you increased oxygen carrying power, which is indispensable for optimum performance.
When and How
In a June 2004 article in the journal Sports Medicine, researcher Charles Lambert and colleagues released detailed guidelines to help you as a bodybuilder. They gave detailed recommendations on what to eat during on and off-seasons. Their study emphasized that you need a high protein diet during off-seasons and pre-contest periods. Their study suggests high-protein diets build muscle and burn fat by generating more heat. Folic acid probably comes in useful at this point to help you benefit maximally from the high-protein diet.
- In a June 2004 article in the journal Sports Medicine, researcher Charles Lambert and colleagues released detailed guidelines to help you as a bodybuilder.
- Their study emphasized that you need a high protein diet during off-seasons and pre-contest periods.
Need For Caution
Can 1000 Jumping Jacks a Week Make You Lose a Pound?
A November 2009 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association raised fears of a link between folic acid and cancer 1. You might be deceived into consuming excess folic acid on the premise that it is a water-soluble vitamin. But be warned: folic acid is an exception. Though water-soluble, it is stored in the liver, putting you at risk for toxicity if you overuse it. Always seek medical advice before using dietary supplements.
- A November 2009 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association raised fears of a link between folic acid and cancer 1.
- Though water-soluble, it is stored in the liver, putting you at risk for toxicity if you overuse it.
How to Put on a Hospital Gown
Can 1000 Jumping Jacks a Week Make You Lose a Pound?
ATP & Protein
Is 800 Mcg of Folic Acid Too Much During Pregnancy?
Can Acetyl L-Carnitine Be Taken With Levothyroxine?
Bicycling & Increased Testosterone Levels
How to Treat a Rotator Cuff Injury at Home
Quadricep Pain While Sprinting
Examples of Therapeutic Communications
Sildenafil and Bodybuilding
- Journal of the American Medical Association; Cancer Incidence and Mortality ...; Marta Ebbing, et al.;
- Donnelly JG. Folic acid. Crit Rev Clin Lab Sci. 2001;38(3):183-223.
- Scaglione F, Panzavolta G. Folate, folic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate are not the same thing. Xenobiotica. 2014;44(5):480-8.
- Figueiredo JC, Grau MV, Haile RW, et al. Folic acid and risk of prostate cancer: results from a randomized clinical trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2009;101(6):432–435. doi:10.1093/jnci/djp019
- Spina bifida and anencephaly before and after folic acid mandate--United States, 1995-1996 and 1999-2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53(17):362-5.
- Bastian H. Lucy Wills (1888-1964): the life and research of an adventurous independent woman. J R Coll Physicians Edinb. 2008;38(1):89-91.
- Visentin M, Zhao R, Goldman ID. The antifolates. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2012;26(3):629–ix. doi:10.1016/j.hoc.2012.02.002
- Greenberg JA, Bell SJ, Guan Y, Yu YH. Folic Acid supplementation and pregnancy: more than just neural tube defect prevention. Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2011;4(2):52–59.
- Northrup H, Volcik KA. Spina bifida and other neural tube defects. Curr Probl Pediatr. 2000;30(10):313-32.
- Crider KS, Bailey LB, Berry RJ. Folic acid food fortification-its history, effect, concerns, and future directions. Nutrients. 2011;3(3):370–384. doi:10.3390/nu3030370
- Fousekis FS, Theopistos VI, Katsanos KH, Tsianos EV, Christodoulou DK. Hepatobiliary Manifestations and Complications in Inflammatory Bowel Disease: A Review. Gastroenterology Res. 2018;11(2):83–94. doi:10.14740/gr990w
- Hariz A, Bhattacharya PT. Megaloblastic Anemia. [Updated 2019 Jan 23]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK537254/
- Maron BA, Loscalzo J. The treatment of hyperhomocysteinemia. Annu Rev Med. 2009;60:39–54. doi:10.1146/annurev.med.60.041807.123308
- Tinelli C, Di Pino A, Ficulle E, Marcelli S, Feligioni M. Hyperhomocysteinemia as a Risk Factor and Potential Nutraceutical Target for Certain Pathologies. Front Nutr. 2019;6:49. Published 2019 Apr 24. doi:10.3389/fnut.2019.00049
- Juhlin L, Olsson MJ. Improvement of vitiligo after oral treatment with vitamin B12 and folic acid and the importance of sun exposure. Acta Derm Venereol. 1997;77(6):460-2.
- Merle BM, Silver RE, Rosner B, Seddon JM. Dietary folate, B vitamins, genetic susceptibility and progression to advanced nonexudative age-related macular degeneration with geographic atrophy: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;103(4):1135-44.
- Tian T, Yang KQ, Cui JG, Zhou LL, Zhou XL. Folic Acid Supplementation for Stroke Prevention in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease. Am J Med Sci. 2017;354(4):379-387.
- Hsu CY, Chiu SW, Hong KS, et al. Folic Acid in Stroke Prevention in Countries without Mandatory Folic Acid Food Fortification: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Stroke. 2018;20(1):99–109. doi:10.5853/jos.2017.01522
- McRae MP. High-dose folic acid supplementation effects on endothelial function and blood pressure in hypertensive patients: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled clinical trials. J Chiropr Med. 2009;8(1):15–24. doi:10.1016/j.jcm.2008.09.001
- Zhao G, Ford ES, Li C, Greenlund KJ, Croft JB, Balluz LS. Use of folic acid and vitamin supplementation among adults with depression and anxiety: a cross-sectional, population-based survey. Nutr J. 2011;10:102.
- Gisondi P, Fantuzzi F, Malerba M, Girolomoni G. Folic acid in general medicine and dermatology. J Dermatolog Treat. 2007;18(3):138-46.
- Reynolds EH. Folic acid, ageing, depression, and dementia. BMJ. 2002;324(7352):1512–1515. doi:10.1136/bmj.324.7352.1512
- Nucera E, Aruanno A, Mezzacappa S, Pascolini L, Buonomo A, Schiavino D. Hypersensitivity reactions to folic acid: Three case reports and a review of the literature. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2018;32:2058738418817704. Published 2018 Dec 17. doi:10.1177/2058738418817704
- Pieroth R, Paver S, Day S, Lammersfeld C. Folate and Its Impact on Cancer Risk. Curr Nutr Rep. 2018;7(3):70–84. doi:10.1007/s13668-018-0237-y
- Lewis DP, Van dyke DC, Willhite LA, Stumbo PJ, Berg MJ. Phenytoin-folic acid interaction. Ann Pharmacother. 1995;29(7-8):726-35.
- Selhub J, Dhar GJ, Rosenberg IH. Inhibition of folate enzymes by sulfasalazine. J Clin Invest. 1978;61(1):221-4.
- Kennedy DO. B Vitamins and the Brain: Mechanisms, Dose and Efficacy--A Review. Nutrients. 2016;8(2):68. Published 2016 Jan 27. doi:10.3390/nu8020068
- Starr RR. Too little, too late: ineffective regulation of dietary supplements in the United States. Am J Public Health. 2015;105(3):478–485. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2014.302348
- Troesch B, Demmelmair J, Gimpfl M, et al. Suitability and safety of L-5-methyltetrahydrofolate as a folate source in infant formula: A randomized-controlled trial. PLoS One. 2019;14(8):e0216790. Published 2019 Aug 19. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0216790
- Pintó X, Vilaseca MA, Balcells S, et al. A folate-rich diet is as effective as folic acid from supplements in decreasing plasma homocysteine concentrations. Int J Med Sci. 2005;2(2):58–63. doi:10.7150/ijms.2.58
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Committee on Genetics. Folic acid for the prevention of neural tube defects. Pediatrics. 1999 Aug;104(2 Pt 1):325-7.
- Juhlin, L. and Olsson, M. Improvement of vitiligo after oral treatment with vitamin B12 and folic acid and the importance of sun exposure. Acta Derm Venereol. 1997 Nov;77(6):460-2. DOI: 10.2340/000155555577460462.
- Li, Y.; Huang, T.; Zheng, Y. et al. Folic Acid Supplementation and the Risk of Cardiovascular Diseases: A Meta‐Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. JAHA. 2016;5(8):pii: e003768. DOI: 10.1161/JAHA.116.003768.
- Merle, B.; Silver, R.; Rosner, B. et al. Dietary folate, B vitamins, genetic susceptibility and progression to advanced nonexudative age-related macular degeneration with geographic atrophy: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 Apr;103(4):1135-44. DOI: 10.3945/ajcn.115.117606.
- Zhao, G.; Ford, E.; Li, C. et al. Use of folic acid and vitamin supplementation among adults with depression and anxiety: a cross-sectional, population-based survey. Nutrition Journal. 2011;10:102. DOI: 10.1186/1475-2891-10-102.
Solomon Nwhator's writing experience dates back to 1999, when he was an oral health columnist. His writing specializes in finance, science fiction, technology, religion, society and other areas. He has authored several research papers in the area of dentistry and oral health and has been published by the World Health Organization. He is a dentist and consultant in periodontology.