Sunken-eyes causes include aging, unhealthy habits and allergies. Lifestyle changes and facial exercises help reduce the appearance of hollows under your eyes.
With time and gravity, your eyes appear less youthful and vibrant. Crow's feet form, dark circles develop, eyelids droop and under-eye hollows appear. To address sunken-eyes causes, you can opt for invasive orbital rim implants or purchase a number of costly products claiming to reduce these issues.
Facial exercises, however, offer a free and easy method to achieve similar results. As a sunken-eyes treatment, the exercises can't make eye hollows go away on their own, but they can improve the appearance of the skin surrounding your eye sockets.
Understanding Causes of Hollows Under Eyes
Sunken-eye causes can't literally be corrected through facial exercises. They work best when used to tone the surrounding areas, helping to minimize the appearance of hollow eyes. It's also important to remember that when the area under your eyes darkens and looks sunken, it may be a sign of neglected health. Among the ways in which you can reduce the look of eye hollows are:
- Drink more water. Staying hydrated will "plump up" the look of parched skin.
- Eat a balanced diet. Vitamin deficiencies can lead to darkened circles and sunken-looking skin. Eat foods high in iron and vitamin C, along with vitamin K foods. In addition, salty foods cause surrounding skin to swell, making your sockets look even more sunken.
- Get more sleep. Not surprisingly, eyes look more sunken when you're not getting adequate rest.
- Quit smoking. The habit robs your delicate skin of precious collagen.
- Address allergy issues and sinus infections. See a doctor to help you ward off the bags caused by swollen blood vessels and nasal congestion.
Read more: 10 Ways Your Face Reveals Health Problems
Do the "Hollow Reducer"
With age, a loss of volume in your cheeks may lead to a hollow under eyes effect. To tone and lift all the muscles around your eyes, M. J. Saffon, beauty expert and author of The 15-Minute-a-Day Natural Face Lift, recommends the hollow-reducer exercise 2.
Apply a generous amount of moisturizing lotion to your hands and face before any facial exercise. Place the balls of your hands over your cheek bones with your fingertips resting lightly against the sides of your forehead. Use a smooth, lifting motion to massage your forehead while the balls of your hands gently move the skin on your upper cheeks. Perform the exercise for approximately two minutes.
Get "Temple Dancer Eyes"
According to Annelise Hagen, New York City-based yoga instructor and author of The Yoga Face: Eliminate Wrinkles With the Ultimate Natural Facelift, the temple dancer eye movements exercise the ring muscles of your eyes, helping to provide sunken-eyes treatment by correcting problems like sagging, without damaging the delicate tissue around your eyes 12.
Simply hold your head erect and still, and dart your eyes from side to center to side. Repeat the movement five times. Then, with your eyes closed, look down toward your nose.
Try the "Eye Squeeze"
The eye squeeze exercise tones the entire eye area, with special emphasis on the upper and lower eyelids, as well as the hollow under the eyes. The sunken-eyes treatment exercise is part of Deborah Crowley's facial exercise routine featured in her book Flex Effect Facial Resistance Training 3.
Place a fingertip on each of your shut eyelids. This will help you with concentration. Tightly squeeze your eyes closed while counting to five. Quickly pop open your eyes; Deborah Crowley then count to five while darting your gaze quickly from left to center to right and back again. Perform 10 repetitions.
Work That "Lid Lift"
Deborah Crowley also suggests the lid-lift exercise to build, strengthen and firm the region beneath the lower eyelids. She claims that it also improves circulation, helping you to appear years younger.
Use the three middle fingers of your hands to pull down your lower eyelids. At the same time, try to shut your upper eyelids. Maintain that position for three seconds. Repeat the movements 10 times, five days a week, for best results.
- Google Books: The Yoga Face: Eliminate Wrinkles With the Ultimate Natural Facelift
- Google Books: The 15-Minute-a-Day Natural Face Lift
- Deborah Crowley: Flex Effect Facial Resistance Training
- Time: Skip the Botox. Try Facial Yoga
- American Academy of Ophthalmology: Bags Under the Eyes
- Medical News Today: All You Should Know About Sunken Eyes
- LindaParton/iStock/Getty Images