What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
The Calories Burned During Firm Workouts
When you commit yourself to a new workout routine, you may be preoccupied with the numbers -- how many calories you'll burn and how much weight you'll lose. Whether you're using "The Firm" series of workout DVDs or any other fitness regimen, exercising at the highest possible intensity will burn the greatest number of calories.
The Firm's DVD series includes bouts of cardio as well as rounds of resistance training. While one DVD promises a "500 calorie workout," the number of calories you'll burn during any given workout depends on your age, gender, intensity level, and even the amount of muscle you already have, since muscle tends to burn more calories than fat. You can't do much about your age or gender, but you can give each workout your all, aiming for an intensity level that you consider to be a 9 or 10 on a scale of 1 to 10. Do each workout to the end to maximize your results. Since the workouts usually combine light weights and cardio, consider them a form of circuit training, which will burn roughly 240 calories in 30 minutes for a 125-pound person and 355 calories for a 185-pound person, according to Harvard Health Publications 2.
- The Firm's DVD series includes bouts of cardio as well as rounds of resistance training.
- Since the workouts usually combine light weights and cardio, consider them a form of circuit training, which will burn roughly 240 calories in 30 minutes for a 125-pound person and 355 calories for a 185-pound person, according to Harvard Health Publications 2.
How To Lose Weight with Dumbbells
How Many Calories Burned with Biggest Loser DVD?
How Many Calories Do You Burn While Jogging 4.5 MPH?
Exercises to Slim Hips, Thighs & Stomach
Calories Burned in Plyometrics
Bicep Muscle Strain
How Much Weight Is Lost Doing 20 Minutes on the Stair Stepper?
What Happens to Sugar Levels in the Blood While Fasting?
Why Am I Gaining Weight If I'm Working Out?
Top Three Exercises that Burn the Most Calories
- The Firm Direct: The Firm Store
- Harvard Health Publications: Calories Burned in 30 Minutes for People of Three Different Weights
- Levine JA, Lanningham-Foster LM, McCrady SK, et al. Interindividual Variation in Posture Allocation: Possible Role in Human Obesity. Science. 2005;307(5709):584‐586. doi:10.1126/science.1106561
- Kravitz L, Kinucan P. Controversies in Metabolism. The University of New Mexico.
- Vella CA, Kravitz L. Exercise After-Burn: Research Update. The University of New Mexico.
- Jung WS, Hwang H, Kim J, Park HY, Lim K. Comparison of excess post-exercise oxygen consumption of different exercises in normal weight obesity women. J Exerc Nutrition Biochem. 2019;23(2):22‐27. doi:10.20463/jenb.2019.0013
- Boutcher SH. High-Intensity Intermittent Exercise and Fat Loss. J Obes. 2011;2011:868305. doi:10.1155/2011/868305
Nicole Vulcan has been a journalist since 1997, covering parenting and fitness for The Oregonian, careers for CareerAddict, and travel, gardening and fitness for Black Hills Woman and other publications. Vulcan holds a Bachelor of Arts in English and journalism from the University of Minnesota. She's also a lifelong athlete and is pursuing certification as a personal trainer.