If you develop adverse reactions after drinking or touching pomegranate juice, you may have an allergy to it 1. Although pomegranates are not considered a common food allergen, some people may experience an allergic reaction. All symptoms need to be evaluated by your physician. Not all reactions after drinking pomegranate juice are related to an allergy 1. You may have a different condition that is causing the symptoms. Talk with your doctor for an assessment, diagnosis and treatment options.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Your immune system protects your body from potentially dangerous substances such as bacteria, viruses and parasites. If you’re allergic to pomegranate juice, your immune system identifies the proteins in the fruit as a dangerous substance 1. The body reacts with its defense system, which leads to creation of immunoglobulin E, or IgE, antibodies. These agents fight off the proteins in the pomegranate juice, causing inflammation, swelling and irritation in various parts of the body 1. A severe allergic reaction can lead to death.
Mandarin Oranges and Allergies
If you’re allergic to pomegranate juice, you may develop a skin rash simply by touching the juice to your skin 1. This condition is called contact allergic dermatitis and will develop within minutes of touching the fruit juice. Your skin will become red, bumpy and itchy in the area of exposure, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. To treat this condition, wash the affected area with soap and water, and apply hydrocortisone cream to reduce the swelling and itchiness.
- If you’re allergic to pomegranate juice, you may develop a skin rash simply by touching the juice to your skin 1.
- To treat this condition, wash the affected area with soap and water, and apply hydrocortisone cream to reduce the swelling and itchiness.
An allergic reaction will cause inflammation in soft tissue and can restrict your ability to breathe normally. Get medical help immediately if you become lightheaded, dizzy or unable to breathe.
Tart Cherry Juice Allergies
Treatment begins with a clinical diagnosis. If your doctor suspects that you’re allergic to pomegranate juice, she may recommend allergy testing 1. The most common type of allergy test is an injection of a small amount of the allergen under your skin to see if it reacts. Once diagnosed, your doctor will recommend that you avoid pomegranate juice and all other foods or beverages that contain pomegranate 1. The use of any over-the-counter medications, such as antihistamines, need to be evaluated by your doctor.
- Treatment begins with a clinical diagnosis.
- If your doctor suspects that you’re allergic to pomegranate juice, she may recommend allergy testing 1.
Mandarin Oranges and Allergies
Tart Cherry Juice Allergies
Fruit Pectin Allergies
Pear Cider & Allergies
Allergy to Lime
Puffy and Itchy Face from Allergies
What Are Allergy Symptoms From Nutmeg?
What Causes Stomachaches from Dried Fruit?
Allergic Reactions to Soy Milk
- Wellness.com: Pomegranate
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Food Allergy
- Pomegranate. Professional Monograph. Natural Medicine Database. Therapeutic Resource Center. 5/6/2019
- Bassiri-Jahromi S. Punica granatum (Pomegranate) activity in health promotion and cancer prevention. Oncol Rev. 2018;12(1):345. Published 2018 Jan 30. doi:10.4081/oncol.2018.345
- Bhadbhade SJ, Acharya AB, Rodrigues SV, et al. The antiplaque efficacy of pomegranate mouthrinse. Quintessence International. 2011;42(1):29-36.
- Danesi F, Ferguson LR. Could Pomegranate Juice Help in the Control of Inflammatory Diseases?. Nutrients. 2017;9(9):958. Published 2017 Aug 30. doi:10.3390/nu9090958
- Hidaka M, Okumura M, Fujita K, Ogikubo T, Yamasaki K, Iwakiri T, Setoguchi N, Arimori K. Effects of pomegranate juice on human cytochrome p450 3A (CYP3A) and carbamazepine pharmacokinetics in rats. Drug Metabolism and Disposition. 33.5 (2005):644-8.
- Ismail T, Sestili P, Akhtar S. Pomegranate peel and fruit extracts: a review of potential anti-inflammatory and anti-infective effects. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 2012;143(2):397-3405.
- Kim H, Yoon YJ, Shon JH, Cha IJ, Shin JG, Liu KH. Inhibitory effects of fruit juices on CYP3A activity. Drug Metabolism and Disposition. 34.4 (2006):521-3.
- Sahebkar, A., Ferri, C., Giorgini, P., Bo, S., Nachtigal, P., & Grassi, D. (2017). Effects of pomegranate juice on blood pressure: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Pharmacological Research, 115, 149–161. doi:10.1016/j.phrs.2016.11.018
- Sharma P, McClees SF, Afaq F. Pomegranate for Prevention and Treatment of Cancer: An Update. Molecules. 2017;22(1):177. Published 2017 Jan 24. doi:10.3390/molecules22010177
- Sorokin AV, Duncan B, Panetta R, Thompson PD. Rhabdomyolysis associated with pomegranate juice consumption. American Journal of Cardiology. 98.5 (2006):705-6.
- Taheri Rouhi SZ, Sarker MMR, Rahmat A, Alkahtani SA, Othman F. The effect of pomegranate fresh juice versus pomegranate seed powder on metabolic indices, lipid profile, inflammatory biomarkers, and the histopathology of pancreatic islets of Langerhans in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced type 2 diabetic Sprague-Dawley rats [published correction appears in BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017 Apr 13;17 (1):214]. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2017;17(1):156. Published 2017 Mar 14. doi:10.1186/s12906-017-1667-6
- Wang D, Özen C, Abu-Reidah IM, et al. Vasculoprotective Effects of Pomegranate (Punica granatum L.). Front Pharmacol. 2018;9:544. Published 2018 May 24. doi:10.3389/fphar.2018.00544
- Zarfeshany A, Asgary S, Javanmard SH. Potent health effects of pomegranate. Adv Biomed Res. 2014;3:100. Published 2014 Mar 25. doi:10.4103/2277-9175.129371
Diane Marks started her writing career in 2010 and has been in health care administration for more than 30 years. She holds a registered nurse license from Citizens General Hospital School of Nursing, a Bachelor of Arts in health care education from California University of Pennsylvania and a Master of Science in health administration from the University of Pittsburgh.