Turmeric is a unique spice, with a musky, earthy flavor that gives depth to curries and soups. Its rich yellow color is so brilliant that the spice is sometimes used as a fabric dye. There is no spice that is a reasonably close substitute for turmeric. However, it is often used as part of spice combinations such as curry powder, which won't be glaringly different if you simply leave out the turmeric 2.
Curry powders can be very simple, with mainly cumin, coriander, pepper and turmeric, or they can be more complex, with cinnamon, cardamom, fennel and fenugreek, among other spices. There is no single right way to make curry powder, and some curry powder recipes only include a small amount of turmeric, or none at all. When following a recipe that calls for turmeric as part of a curry spice blend, add a little extra cumin to balance the brighter, sweeter flavors such as cinnamon and cardamom.
- Curry powders can be very simple, with mainly cumin, coriander, pepper and turmeric, or they can be more complex, with cinnamon, cardamom, fennel and fenugreek, among other spices.
- There is no single right way to make curry powder, and some curry powder recipes only include a small amount of turmeric, or none at all.
Curry Powder Substitution
Spices That Help You Lose Weight
Because curry powder includes turmeric and takes its characteristic color from the spice, you can substitute the spice blend for the individual spice. However, if you substitute curry powder for turmeric in a recipe that calls for a combination of individual spices typically used in curry powder rather than the complete spice blend, you should use the blend as a substitute for all of the spices, rather than just the turmeric 2.
Substituting for Turmeric Color
Turmeric's color is its most distinctive feature. Its flavor takes the background to other curry flavors, but its color stands out and gives the blend its distinctive hue. No other readily available spice provides the same intense yellow, but other spices can partially stand in, providing some brightness and some gold. Saffron has more of an orange tint, but its tone is somewhat similar to turmeric. Annatto seed is also not an exact match, but it colors food a comparable orange-gold.
- Turmeric's color is its most distinctive feature.
- Its flavor takes the background to other curry flavors, but its color stands out and gives the blend its distinctive hue.
Turmeric on Its Own
How to Infuse Flavors Into Cupcakes
Some recipes, especially African-based curries, use turmeric separately from other spices, as the main seasoning for a dish. Such recipes rely so heavily on the distinctive flavor of turmeric that it's better to wait until you have turmeric available than to make an inadequate substitution. Although it won't give precisely the same flavor, smoked paprika can provide color and muskiness, and mace can provide a pungent spiciness that is somewhat similar to turmeric.
Spices That Help You Lose Weight
How to Infuse Flavors Into Cupcakes
What Is a Turmeric Rhizome?
What Can I Substitute for Yellow Mustard in Cooking?
How to Grate Orange Rinds
What Is the Difference Between Cayenne Powder & Cayenne Pepper?
How to Eat Turmeric Root
Side Effects of the Curcumin in Turmeric
Cumin vs. Cumin Seed
What Makes Collard Greens Less Bitter?
- Epicurious: Homemade Curry Powder
- The Kitchn: In Defense of Curry Powder
- Cook's Thesaurus: Indian Herb and Spice Mixes
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH). Turmeric. Updated November 27, 2018.
- Gupta SC, Patchva S, Aggarwal BB. Therapeutic roles of curcumin: lessons learned from clinical trials. AAPS J. 2013;15(1):195-218. doi:10.1208/s12248-012-9432-8
- Daily JW, Yang M, Park S. Efficacy of turmeric extracts and curcumin for alleviating the symptoms of joint arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Med Food. 2016;19(8):717-29. doi:10.1089/jmf.2016.3705
- Hewlings SJ, Kalman DS. Curcumin: A review of its effects on human health. Foods. 2017;6(10). doi:10.3390/foods6100092
- Cavaleri F. Presenting a new standard drug model for turmeric and its prized extract, curcumin. Int J Inflam. 2018;2018:5023429.
- Khayat S, Fanaei H, Kheirkhah M, Moghadam ZB, Kasaeian A, Javadimehr M. Curcumin attenuates severity of premenstrual syndrome symptoms: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Complement Ther Med. 2015;23(3):318-24. doi:10.1016/j.ctim.2015.04.001
- Maulina T, Diana H, Cahyanto A, Amaliya A. The efficacy of curcumin in managing acute inflammation pain on the post-surgical removal of impacted third molars patients: a randomised controlled trial. J Oral Rehabil. 2018;45(9):677-683. doi:10.1111/joor.12679
- Buhrmann C, Mobasheri A, Busch F, et al. Curcumin modulates nuclear factor kappaB (NF-kappaB)-mediated inflammation in human tenocytes in vitro: role of the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase/Akt pathway. J Biol Chem. 2011;286(32):28556-66. doi:10.1074/jbc.M111.256180
- Fusar-poli L, Vozza L, Gabbiadini A, et al. Curcumin for depression: a meta-analysis. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2019;1-11. doi:10.1080/10408398.2019.1653260
- Kunnumakkara AB, Bordoloi D, Padmavathi G, et al. Curcumin, the golden nutraceutical: multitargeting for multiple chronic diseases. Br J Pharmacol. 2017;174(11):1325-1348. doi:10.1111/bph.13621
- Burge K, Gunasekaran A, Eckert J, Chaaban H. Curcumin and intestinal inflammatory diseases: molecular mechanisms of protection. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(8). doi:10.3390/ijms20081912
- Bai X, Oberley-deegan RE, Bai A, et al. Curcumin enhances human macrophage control of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection. Respirology. 2016;21(5):951-7. doi:10.1111/resp.12762
- Lee SW, Nah SS, Byon JS, et al. Transient complete atrioventricular block associated with curcumin intake. Int J Cardiol. 2011;150(2):e50-2. doi:10.1016/j.ijcard.2009.09.530
- Milton S. Hershey Medical Center. Possible interactions with: turmeric. Updated January 5, 2015.
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology. Can spices cause allergic reactions?
- Tayyem RF, Heath DD, Al-delaimy WK, Rock CL. Curcumin content of turmeric and curry powders. Nutr Cancer. 2006;55(2):126-31. doi:10.1207/s15327914nc5502_2
- Gupta SC, Kismali G, Aggarwal BB. Curcumin, a component of turmeric: from farm to pharmacy. Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):2-13. DOI: 10.1002/biof.1079.
- Gupta SC, Patchva S, Koh W, Aggarwal BB. Discovery of curcumin, a component of golden spice, and its miraculous biological activities. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2012 Mar;39(3):283-99. DOI: 10.1111/j.1440-1681.2011.05648.x.
- Patrick K, Stanbrook MB. Take turmeric with a grain of salt. CMAJ. 2018;190(43):E1270. doi:10.1503/cmaj.181358
Devra Gartenstein is an omnivore who has published several vegan cookbooks. She has owned and run small food businesses for 30 years.