What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Peanuts are a healthy source of protein, vitamins and minerals; but for some individuals, peanuts are a health hazard. Peanut allergies among children have risen, doubling between the years 1997 and 2000, according to Food Allergy Initiative 1. Therefore, increasing the awareness of different foods that contain peanuts can help keep significant allergic reactions to a minimum.
Peanut butter is made directly from the process of creaming peanuts. Peanut butter is generally easy to store and can last for a significantly long period of time unopened.
What Is the Nutritional Value of Peanuts?
Ethnic foods such as African, Chinese and Thai foods are often made with peanuts or peanut oil, or they often contain trace amounts of peanuts. Also at ethnic restaurants, cross-contamination may occur from pots and pans used to cook food containing peanuts.
Peanuts and peanut oils are used as sauces to add flavoring to dishes. TeensHealth notes that peanut butter or peanut oil is commonly used by chefs and cooks as a thickening agent for sauces in foods such as chili 1.
Calories in Wasabi Peanuts
Peanuts are commonly used as an ingredient in food bars, energy bars and protein bars. These bars are used either as meal replacements or to provide high amounts of nutritional calories. Because peanuts are high in protein and healthy nutrients, they are used in these bars.
Candies often contain nuts. Candy bars, peanut brittle and bite-size candy such as M & Ms are made with peanuts. As long as you do not have peanut allergies, eating candy that contains peanuts is a healthier option than consuming candy without nuts. This is because the nuts add a valuable amount of vitamins, minerals and healthy fats to the candy bar.
- Candies often contain nuts.
- As long as you do not have peanut allergies, eating candy that contains peanuts is a healthier option than consuming candy without nuts.
Nu-Nuts are artificial nuts that often contain some amount of peanuts. According to Children’s Hospital of Boston, nu-nuts are made by removing the natural peanut taste from peanuts and then flavoring them with other nuts such as pecans or walnuts.
Nougats are a whipped candy that comes in a variety of flavors and contains different ingredients. Peanuts are one of the ingredients that can be used in the making of nougat.
Pesto is often used in Italian pasta dishes. Peanuts are one of the ingredients commonly used in the making of pesto.
Muffins and Breads
Muffins and breads may have peanuts added to them. Also, peanut oil or flour can be used in the making of an assortment of different breads. Cross-contamination can occur in bakeries. Therefore, if you are highly allergic to peanuts, avoid bread products made from places that use peanuts in their baking.
- Muffins and breads may have peanuts added to them.
- Also, peanut oil or flour can be used in the making of an assortment of different breads.
Desserts such as cookies, pastries and brownies often contain peanuts. Peanuts are used to add flavor and a crunchy texture to these common desserts. Also, peanuts are often used in ice cream. When eating at an ice cream parlor, cross-contamination is likely to occur, because the same scoops are used for all the flavors.
- Desserts such as cookies, pastries and brownies often contain peanuts.
What Is the Nutritional Value of Peanuts?
Calories in Wasabi Peanuts
Peanuts & Acne
Peanut Butter Sandwich Calories
Can a Peanut Allergy Cause a Chronic Cough?
Side Effects of Eating Nuts
Low-Sugar Hershey Cocoa Brownie Recipe
How Many Calories in Vietnamese Food?
Peanuts Vs. Pistachios
Nutritional Facts for Macadamia Nut Oil
- TeensHealth: Nut and Peanut Allergy
- Peanuts, all types, raw. FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Diabetes peanuts help control blood sugar. The Peanut Institute. Updated 2020.
- Peanut protein, fats & carbs: peanut macronutrients. The National Peanut Institute. Updated 2020.
- Arya SS, Salve AR, Chauhan S. Peanuts as functional food: A review. J Food Sci Technol. 2016;53(1):31-41. doi:10.1007%2Fs13197-015-2007-9
- Peanut vitamins & minerals: Micronutrients. The Peanut Institute. Updated 2020.
- Hou YY, Ojo O, Wang LL, et al. A randomized controlled trial to compare the effect of peanuts and almonds on the cardio-metabolic and inflammatory parameters in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Nutrients. 2018;10(11). doi:10.3390/nu10111565
- Alves RD, Moreira AP, Macedo VS, et al. Regular intake of high-oleic peanuts improves fat oxidation and body composition in overweight/obese men pursuing a energy-restricted diet. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2014;22(6):1422-9. doi:10.1002/oby.20746
- Bonnefont-Rousselot D. Resveratrol and cardiovascular diseases. Nutrients. 2016;8(5). doi:10.3390/nu8050250.
- Arya SS, Salve AR, Chauhan S. Peanuts as functional food: A review. J Food Sci Technol. 2016;53(1):31-41. doi:10.1007/s13197-015-2007-9
- Bunyavanich S, Rifas-Shiman SL, Platts-Mills TA, et al. Peanut allergy prevalence among school-age children in a US cohort not selected for any disease. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014;134(3):753-5.
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology. Newly issued clinical guidelines from the NIAID recommend early peanut introduction, not avoidance. 2017.
- Salehi B, Mishra AP, Nigam M, et al. Resveratrol: A double-edged sword in health benefits. Biomedicines. 2018;6(3). doi:10.3390/biomedicines6030091
- Peanut types. National Peanut Board. Updated 2020.
- How long will that peanut butter last?. National Peanut Board. Updated 2020.
- Kumar P, Mahato DK, Kamle M, Mohanta TK, Kang SG. Aflatoxins: A global concern for food safety, human health and their management. Front Microbiol. 2016;7:2170. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2016.02170
Alia Butler holds a Master of Social Work from Washington University, St. Louis, concentrating in mental health, and a Master of Arts in social-organizational psychology from Columbia University. Currently, Butler is a freelance writer, penning articles focusing on mental health, healthy living and issues surrounding work-life balance. She is the principle/owner of ALIA Living, LLC, providing residential interior design services, professional organizing and life coaching.