What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Many microorganisms exist naturally in the human gut. Among them is Candida albicans, a species of yeast. A sudden increase in candida population causes a condition called candidiasis, which is characterized by fatigue, weight gain and joint pain. Changing your diet by eliminating simple carbohydrates and sugary foods may alleviate these symptoms. Bulgar is a high-carbohydrate grain made from processed wheat. Because it is a whole wheat product containing complex rather than simple carbohydrates, it is an acceptable anti-candida diet food.
Candida yeast thrive upon sugars found in the intestine 2. The purpose the anti-candida diet is to severely limit sugar ingestion 3. This starves candida yeast and reduces the population to normal levels 3. An anti-candida diet also introduces beneficial bacteria into the gut flora 3. The combination of candida starvation and probiotic bacteria growth regulates digestive activity.
Stevia & the Candida Diet
The anti-candida diet involves three phases 3. The first phase is most restrictive, requiring dieters to forego all processed foods, fruits, starchy vegetables, aged cheeses, alcohol and simple carbohydrates. The majority of meals consist of whole grains, lean protein and vegetables during this stage. In the second diet phase, previously banned foods are slowly reintroduced over a four-week period 3. The final phase involves eating probiotic foods to boost beneficial bacteria levels. Many dieters stay in the final phase over the long term to avoid triggering new candidiasis symptoms.
Bulgar is an acceptable food to eat on an anti-candida diet 13. In general, simple carbohydrates such as white bread, pasta, rye bread or oatmeal must be avoided. Bulgar is a whole-grain wheat product that provides your body with complex carbohydrates. According to the Candida Diet website, whole-grain foods contain high levels of fiber that promote frequent bowel movements, clearing the colon of excess waste 3. Add bulgar to your meals to maintain high energy throughout the day.
Candida Cleanse & Weight Loss
Many dieters lose weight after several weeks on the anti-candida diet 3. Restricting consumption of processed, high-calorie foods boosts your metabolism and promotes weight loss. Dieters also report increased energy, less fatigue, better mood and reduced joint pain, according to the Candida Diet website 3. Following an anti-candida diet tends to regulate gastrointestinal activity, relieving abdominal cramps and bloating 3.
Medical doctors dispute the validity of the diagnosis of candidiasis. The Mayo Clinic reports that no scientific evidence suggests that candida overpopulation causes gastrointestinal distress, fatigue or weight gain. Following an anti-candida diet may relieve these symptoms because high-fat, processed foods are replaced with fresh, healthy alternatives 3. Consult your doctor before beginning an anti-candida diet. Your symptoms may be indicative of a serious medical condition that cannot be alleviated through diet changes.
- Medical doctors dispute the validity of the diagnosis of candidiasis.
- Following an anti-candida diet may relieve these symptoms because high-fat, processed foods are replaced with fresh, healthy alternatives 3.
Stevia & the Candida Diet
Candida Cleanse & Weight Loss
Yeast Infections and Stomach Belly Fat
Best Probiotics for Treating Candida
Foods Not to Eat With Candida
When Can I Eat Ezekiel Bread on Candida Diet?
Which Foods Do You Need to Avoid With Antithyroid Medications?
Food With Lactobacillus
Foods to Eat on a Candida Cleanse Diet
- Candida Yeast Explained: Candida Food List
- Yeast Infection Advisor: The Recommended Candida Diet or Yeast Infection Diet
- The Candida Diet: Foods to Eat
- Mayo Clinic: Candida Cleanse — What Does It Treat?
- Yapar Nur. Epidemiology and risk factors for invasive candidiasis. Ther Clin Risk Mgmt. 2014;10(2014):95-105. doi:10.2147/tcrm.s40160
- Buggio L, Somigliana E, Borghi A, Vercellini P. Probiotics and vaginal microecology: fact or fancy? BMC Womens Health. 2019 Jan;19:25. doi:10.1186/s12905-019-0723-4
- Gunther LSA, Martins HPR, Pimenta de Abreu AL, et al. Prevalence of Candida albicans and non-albicans isolates from vaginal secretions: comparative evaluation of colonization, vaginal candidiasis and recurrent vaginal candidiasis in diabetic and non-diabetic women. Sao Paulo Med. J. 2014;132(2):116-20. doi:10.1590/1516-3180.2014.1322640
- Xie HY, Feng D, Wei DM, Mei L, Chen H, Wang X, Fang F. Probiotics for vulvovaginal candidiasis in non-pregnant women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;23;11(11):CD010496. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD010496.pub2
- Niewenhuizen WF, Pieters RHH, Knippels LMJ. Is Candida albicans a trigger in the onset of coeliac disease? Lancet. 2003;361(9375):2152-4. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13695-1
- Pérez-Torrado R, Querol A. Opportunistic strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: A potential risk sold in food products. Frontiers Microbiol. 2016;6:8. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2015.01522
- Wilson D. A tale of two yeasts: Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a therapeutic against candidiasis. Virulence. 2017;8(1):15-7. doi:10.1080/21505594.2016.1230580
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. (2015) Appendix 7. Nutritional Goals for Age-Sex Groups Based on Dietary Reference Intakes and Dietary Guidelines Recommendations. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Kim J, Sudbery P. Candida albicans, a major human fungal pathogen. J Microbiol. 2011;49(2):171-7. doi:10.1007/s12275-011-1064-7
- Martinez RCR, Franceschini SA, Patta MC, et al. Improved treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis with fluconazole plus probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14. Letters Applied Microbiol. 2009;48(3):269-74. doi:10.1111/j.1472-765x.2008.02477.x
Aurora Harklute has been writing since 2009. She works with people with depression and other mental illnesses and specializes in physical and mental health issues in aging. Harklute holds a Bachelor of Science in psychology and physiology from Marquette University and a Master of Arts in cognitive psychology from the University of Chicago.