What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Hair growth is a natural process that can start as early as birth and continue throughout the rest of your life. But hair is anything but constant, experiencing growth and rest cycles as well as specific conditions and genetic factors that influence how hair grows and changes over the years. Uneven hair growth can be most evident in young toddlers and babies, but it can occur at any point in life and for a number of reasons.
You may be able to identify the cause of the uneven hair growth by noticing the patterns. If you experience thinning or receding hair growth at the hairline, it could be a receding hairline associated with male-pattern baldness. However, nutrition problems could also factor in, particularly if the thinning or hair loss is widespread on the head 12. While growth cycles tend to occur in specific locations, they are likely not noticeable unless your hair is very closely cropped. Circular spots of hair loss, thinning or stunted growth may signal a specific condition 12.
Regrowth Stages of a Hair Transplant
According to BabyCenter.com, hair growth occurs in phases. Typically, you will experience approximately three years of grow in any one hair follicle followed by about three months of rest on average. This does not result in the hair falling out of the follicle, but it will remain rooted in the scalp at a given length for the remained of the resting phase. In people with long hair, this isn't an issue, but if you have buzzed hair or have an infant, you may notice these periods. They are harmless and natural, and in time, the hair will resume growth. Additionally, this does not happen to all of your hair at once, instead occurring to different follicles at different times.
- According to BabyCenter.com, hair growth occurs in phases.
- In people with long hair, this isn't an issue, but if you have buzzed hair or have an infant, you may notice these periods.
Hair is comprised of many different nutrients, primarily a protein called keratin. But collagen as well as other vitamins are also present in the hair, keeping it healthy and growing. Some individuals may experience uneven hair growth due to nutritional deficiencies that rob the body of the assets needed to generate new hair. Eating a well-balanced diet can defend against this and likely lead to restored hair growth.
- Hair is comprised of many different nutrients, primarily a protein called keratin.
- Some individuals may experience uneven hair growth due to nutritional deficiencies that rob the body of the assets needed to generate new hair.
Underarm Hair in Girls
Alopecia areata is often associated with complete hair loss on the entire body, but in fact, it can occur in small spots 12. These are often circular in design and are often temporary, although in some cases, they can be permanent. Stress can also influence hair growth and lead to hair thinning or uneven growth of the hair. Hormonal changes in the body may also change how your hair grows.
- Alopecia areata is often associated with complete hair loss on the entire body, but in fact, it can occur in small spots 1.
- Stress can also influence hair growth and lead to hair thinning or uneven growth of the hair.
It is possible that multiple factors may be causing hair loss or uneven hair growth to occur 12. Correcting only one of them may not necessarily lead to new growth, and depending on how long certain hairs have been stagnant, it may be difficult to restore them to normal growth patterns after their growth cycles have been stunted. Additionally, external factors like cancer treatments and various headwear may also affect normal hair growth.
Regrowth Stages of a Hair Transplant
Underarm Hair in Girls
Causes of Spots of Gray Hair
Signs of New Hair Growth
How Long Does it Take for Hair to Grow?
Why Does Hair Grow So Fast During Pregnancy?
On What Part of the Body Does Hair Grow the Fastest on a Normal Man's Body?
Will Ripped-Out Scalp Hair Grow Back?
Hair Loss Due to Nutrition
Menopause & Underarm Hair
- Baby Center: Hair Loss
- Mayo Clinic: Hair Loss
- Phillips TG, Slomiany WP, Allison R. Hair Loss: Common Causes and Treatment. Am Fam Physician. 2017;96(6):371-378.
- Watras MM, Patel JP, Arya R. Traditional anticoagulants and hair loss: a role for direct oral anticoagulants? A review of the literature. Drugs Real World Outcomes. 2016;3(1):1-6. doi:10.1007/s40801-015-0056-z
- Urysiak-czubatka I, Kmieć ML, Broniarczyk-dyła G. Assessment of the usefulness of dihydrotestosterone in the diagnostics of patients with androgenetic alopecia. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2014;31(4):207-15. doi:10.5114/pdia.2014.40925
- Vincent M, Yogiraj K. A descriptive study of alopecia patterns and their relation to thyroid dysfunction. Int J Trichology. 2013;5(1):57-60. doi:10.4103/0974-7753.114701
- Peters EMJ, Müller Y, Snaga W, et al. Hair and stress: A pilot study of hair and cytokine balance alteration in healthy young women under major exam stress. PLoS ONE. 2017;12(4):e0175904. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0175904
- Pratt CH, King LE, Messenger AG, Christiano AM, Sundberg JP. Alopecia areata. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17011. doi:10.1038/nrdp.2017.11
- American Academy of Dermatology. Alopecia Areata: Overview.
Jonathan Croswell has spent more than five years writing and editing for a number of newspapers and online publications, including the "Omaha World-Herald" and "New York Newsday." Croswell received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the University of Nebraska and is currently pursuing a Master's of Health and Exercise Science at Portland State University.