What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Peripheral neuropathy is a condition that involves a disruption of the neuro-electrical synapses from the brain and spinal cord to the muscles in the limbs and other parts of the body, according to MedlinePlus 23. The nerves lose their function and thus affect the patient’s ability to feel pain, and they may lose their sense of taste. Among other effects, this results in a loss of muscular control, painful tingling, numbness and loss of sensation. Peripheral neuropathy has several possible causes, among them a lack of Vitamin B12 23.
Mononeuropathy affects a single nerve group and causes weakness in specific, isolated parts of the body. Examples include carpal tunnel syndrome, which affects the wrist nerves, and peroneal nerve palsy, which affects the nerve behind the knee.
Polyneuropathy affects multiple nerve groups and is far more common than mononeuropathy. The affected nerves are usually in different parts of the body, such as one arm and one leg.
- Peripheral neuropathy most commonly appears as a symptom of a disease or injury and has two main variants, as noted by the University of Chicago Center for Peripheral Neuropathy 2.
- Mononeuropathy affects a single nerve group and causes weakness in specific, isolated parts of the body.
Risk Factors and Causes
Vitamin Supplements for Nerve Pain
Several potential causes for peripheral neuropathy exist 234. Mononeuropathy is most often caused by physical injury or accident-related trauma. Pressure on a nerve for extended periods is also a very common cause. Polyneuropathy can be caused by a large variety of factors, such as poor nutrition, complications from kidney failure and exposure to specific types of toxins. One possible cause of peripheral neuropathy is chronic deficiency of vitamin B12 123.
Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Vitamin B12 is an essential dietary nutrient for maintaining health, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians 1. A deficiency can be caused by several factors. A strict vegetarian diet eliminates the only sources of dietary B12, such as:
- dairy products
- red meat
Burning Feet & B Vitamins
Peripheral neuropathy usually manifests in the longer nerves in the body and thus often starts in the hands and feet, as these are the most susceptible to injury and damage, says Pain Clinic 23. This condition usually affects both sides of the body symmetrically at the same time.
The damage to sensory fibers causes burning sensations, tingling, numbness, nerve pain or an inability to feel one’s joint positioning. This can potentially cause accidents due to the patient’s lack of coordination and inability to feel warning pain. Cramps, loss of muscle mass and loss of muscle control are also associated symptoms.
- Peripheral neuropathy usually manifests in the longer nerves in the body and thus often starts in the hands and feet, as these are the most susceptible to injury and damage, says Pain Clinic 2.
- This can potentially cause accidents due to the patient’s lack of coordination and inability to feel warning pain.
Several remedies can be used for the pain caused by peripheral neuropathy 23. These include anti-seizure medications, anti-depressants, lidocaine patches, and general pain relievers. However, proper treatment of peripheral neuropathy involves addressing the root cause of the problem, not just the symptoms 23.
Addressing vitamin B12 deficiency can help eliminate pain by restoring the nerve sheaths and promoting regeneration of nerve cells. The most direct treatment is increasing the intake of B12. Oral B12 therapy and injections are viable options. Dietary B12 can be boosted by increasing consumption of fish, red meat, dairy products, poultry and B12 supplements.
- Several remedies can be used for the pain caused by peripheral neuropathy 2.
- Dietary B12 can be boosted by increasing consumption of fish, red meat, dairy products, poultry and B12 supplements.
Vitamin Supplements for Nerve Pain
Burning Feet & B Vitamins
Causes of Numbness in the Extremities
Sacral Nerve Damage Symptoms
Autoimmune Diseases That Cause Peripheral Neuropathy
How to Unpinch a Sciatic Nerve
Causes of Foot Numbness & Pain
B1 and B12 Vitamins to Treat Peripheral Neuropathy
Effects of a Pinched Nerve in the Neck
L5-S1 Pinched Nerve Symptoms
- American Academy of Family Physicians: Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- MedlinePlus: Peripheral neuropathy
- Pain Clinic: Nerve Pain--Peripheral Neuropathy
- University of Chicago Center for Peripheral Neuropathy: Types of Peripheral Neuropathy
- Colloca L, Ludman T, Bouhassira D, et al. Neuropathic pain. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2017;3:17002. Published 2017 Feb 16. doi:10.1038/nrdp.2017.2
- Lima MA, Maranhão-filho P. What is the essential neurological examination?. Arq Neuropsiquiatr. 2012;70(12):939-41. doi:10.1590/s0004-282x2012001200007
- Marchettini P, Lacerenza M, Mauri E, Marangoni C. Painful peripheral neuropathies. Curr Neuropharmacol. 2006;4(3):175–181. doi:10.2174/157015906778019536
- Sommer C, Geber C, Young P, Forst R, Birklein F, Schoser B. Polyneuropathies. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018;115(6):83–90. doi:10.3238/arztebl.2018.083
- Koop LK, Tadi P. Neuroanatomy, Sensory Nerves. [Updated 2019 Apr 7]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- McCorry LK. Physiology of the autonomic nervous system. Am J Pharm Educ. 2007;71(4):78. doi:10.5688/aj710478
- Tracy JA, Dyck PJ. The spectrum of diabetic neuropathies. Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am. 2008;19(1):1–v. doi:10.1016/j.pmr.2007.10.010
- Ekabe CJ, Kehbila J, Abanda MH, Kadia BM, Sama CB, Monekosso GL. Vitamin B12 deficiency neuropathy; a rare diagnosis in young adults: a case report. BMC Res Notes. 2017 Jan 28;10(1):72. doi: 10.1186/s13104-017-2393-3
- Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ. Guillain-Barré syndrome and variants. Neurol Clin. 2013;31(2):491–510. doi:10.1016/j.ncl.2013.01.005
- Menorca RM, Fussell TS, Elfar JC. Nerve physiology: mechanisms of injury and recovery. Hand Clin. 2013;29(3):317–330. doi:10.1016/j.hcl.2013.04.002
- Aroori S, Spence RA. Carpal tunnel syndrome. Ulster Med J. 2008;77(1):6–17. PMID: 18269111
- Cojocaru IM, Cojocaru M, Silosi I, Vrabie CD. Peripheral nervous system manifestations in systemic autoimmune diseases. Maedica (Buchar). 2014 Sep;9(3):289-94.
- Misra UK, Kalita J, Nair PP. Diagnostic approach to peripheral neuropathy. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2008;11(2):89–97. doi:10.4103/0972-2327.41875
- Jensen TS, Finnerup NB. Allodynia and hyperalgesia in neuropathic pain: clinical manifestations and mechanisms. Lancet Neurol. 2014;13(9):924-35. doi:10.1016/S1474-4422(14)70102-4
- Aman JE, Elangovan N, Yeh IL, Konczak J. The effectiveness of proprioceptive training for improving motor function: a systematic review. Front Hum Neurosci. 2015;8:1075. Published 2015 Jan 28. doi:10.3389/fnhum.2014.01075
- Desai J, Swash M. Fasciculations: what do we know of their significance?. J Neurol Sci. 1997;152 Suppl 1:S43-8. doi:10.1016/s0022-510x(97)00243-8
- Sommer C, Geber C, Young P, Forst R, Birklein F, Schoser B. Polyneuropathies. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2018 Feb 9;115(6):83-90. doi: 10.3238/arztebl.2018.083.
- Wells R, Tonkin A. Clinical approach to autonomic dysfunction. Intern Med J. 2016;46(10):1134-1139. doi:10.1111/imj.13216
- Chopra K, Tiwari V. Alcoholic neuropathy: possible mechanisms and future treatment possibilities. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2012;73(3):348–362. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2125.2011.04111.x
- Hammond N, Wang Y, Dimachkie MM, Barohn RJ. Nutritional neuropathies. Neurol Clin. 2013;31(2):477–489. doi:10.1016/j.ncl.2013.02.002
- Peltier AC, Russell JW. Recent advances in drug-induced neuropathies. Curr Opin Neurol. 2002;15(5):633-8. doi:10.1097/00019052-200210000-00015
- Crook L, Liu PI, Gadsden RH, Turner RE. Erythrocyte sedimentation, viscosity, and plasma proteins in disease detection. Ann Clin Lab Sci. 1980;10(5):368-76. PMID: 7425532
- Miller LJ, Saporta AS, Sottile SL, Siskind CE, Feely SM, Shy ME. Strategy for genetic testing in Charcot-Marie-disease. Acta Myol. 2011;30(2):109–116. PMID: 22106713
- Chung T, Prasad K, Lloyd TE. Peripheral neuropathy: clinical and electrophysiological considerations. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2014;24(1):49–65. doi:10.1016/j.nic.2013.03.023
- Weis J, Brandner S, Lammens M, Sommer C, Vallat JM. Processing of nerve biopsies: a practical guide for neuropathologists. Clin Neuropathol. 2012;31(1):7–23. doi:10.5414/np300468
- Ziemssen T, Siepmann T. The Investigation of the Cardiovascular and Sudomotor Autonomic Nervous System-A Review. Front Neurol. 2019;10:53. Published 2019 Feb 12. doi:10.3389/fneur.2019.00053
- Khan N, Smith MT. Multiple sclerosis-induced neuropathic pain: pharmacological management and pathophysiological insights from rodent EAE models. Inflammopharmacology. 2014;22(1):1–22. doi:10.1007/s10787-013-0195-3
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Multiple Sclerosis: Current Status and Strategies for the Future; Joy JE, Johnston RB Jr., editors. Multiple Sclerosis: Current Status and Strategies for the Future. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2001. 3, Characteristics and Management of Major Symptoms.
- Chandra A, Stone CR, Du X, et al. The cerebral circulation and cerebrovascular disease III: Stroke. Brain Circ. 2017;3(2):66–77. doi:10.4103/bc.bc_12_17
- Bansal V, Kalita J, Misra UK. Diabetic neuropathy. Postgrad Med J. 2006;82(964):95–100. doi:10.1136/pgmj.2005.036137
- Staff NP, Windebank AJ. Peripheral neuropathy due to vitamin deficiency, toxins, and medications. Continuum (Minneap Minn). 2014;20(5 Peripheral Nervous System Disorders):1293–1306. doi:10.1212/01.CON.0000455880.06675.5a
- Meena AK, Khadilkar SV, Murthy JM. Treatment guidelines for Guillain-Barré Syndrome. Ann Indian Acad Neurol. 2011;14(Suppl 1):S73–S81. doi:10.4103/0972-2327.83087
- Hammi C, Yeung B. Neuropathy. [Updated 2019 Jun 4]. In: StatPearls [IntAvailable from:
- Przewlocki R, Przewlocka B. Opioids in neuropathic pain. Curr Pharm Des. 2005;11(23):3013-25. doi:10.2174/1381612054865055
- Juster-Switlyk K, Smith AG. Updates in diabetic peripheral neuropathy. F1000Res. 2016;5:F1000 Faculty Rev-738. Published 2016 Apr 25. doi:10.12688/f1000research.7898.1
- Cioroiu C, Weimer LH. Update on Chemotherapy-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy. Curr Neurol Neurosci Rep. 2017 Jun;17(6):47. doi: 10.1007/s11910-017-0757-7.
- Dimitrova A, Murchison C, Oken B. Acupuncture for the Treatment of Peripheral Neuropathy: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Altern Complement Med. 2017 Mar 1;23(3):164-79. doi: 10.1089/acm.2016.0155
- Watson JC, Dyck PJ. Peripheral Neuropathy: A Practical Approach to Diagnosis and Symptom Management. Mayo Clin Proc. 2015 Jul;90(7):940-51. doi: 10.1016/j.mayocp.2015.05.004
Joseph Pritchard graduated from Our Lady of Fatima Medical School with a medical degree. He has spent almost a decade studying humanity. Dr. Pritchard writes as a San Francisco biology expert for a prominent website and thoroughly enjoys sharing the knowledge he has accumulated.