What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Medication is often used to manage the symptoms of an anxiety disorder 1. Antidepressants, anxiolytics (anti-anxiety) and beta blocker medications are given most often, according to the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) 1. However, according to the Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA), other medications, like anticonvulsants, are also given to anxiety disorder patients 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Antidepressants, which alter the levels of in the brain, are commonly used to treat anxiety disorders 1. Four types of antidepressants can be prescribed, according to the ADAA. The first type of antidepressant, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), increases the amount serotonin to be used by preventing reuptake by the presynaptic cleft. Brand name SSRIs that are used for anxiety include:
Another antidepressant option is tricyclic antidepressants, which alter levels of both serotonin and norepinephrine. Examples of generic brands include
Monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) are antidepressant medications that also affect levels of serotonin and norepinephrine. Marplan, Nardil and Parnate are types of brand name MAOIs. Isocarboxazid, phenelzine and tranylcypromine are the generic alternatives. Additional brand name antidepressants for anxiety include Cymbalta, Desyrel, Effexor, Remeron and Wellbutrin. Generic equivalents include duloxetine, trazodone, venlafaxine and mirtazapine.
- Antidepressants, which alter the levels of in the brain, are commonly used to treat anxiety disorders 1, increases the amount serotonin to be used by preventing reuptake by the presynaptic cleft.
- Brand name SSRIs that are used for anxiety include: * citalopram
* sertraline Another antidepressant option is tricyclic antidepressants, which alter levels of both serotonin and norepinephrine.
Is Xanax an MAOI?
Anxiolytics are medications targeted for treating anxiety symptoms 1. Anxiety patients who use anxiolytics have three different options available, according to the ADAA. Azapirones, like the brand name BuSpar and generic alternative buspirone, alter serotonin levels. Another medication, benzodiazepines, act on the GABA receptor; however, benzodiazepines can be addictive, since it acts on the same receptor as alcohol. Brand name benzodiazepines include:
Generic options include
The last type of anxiolytic, antihistamines, block histamine receptors and result in a calming effect. Brand name antihistamines for anxiety include Atarax and Vistaril, with the generic option hydroxyzine.
- Anxiolytics are medications targeted for treating anxiety symptoms 1.
- Brand name antihistamines for anxiety include Atarax and Vistaril, with the generic option hydroxyzine.
Another medication option for treating anxiety is anticonvulsants, which act either on the GABA receptor or block sodium channels, according to the ADAA. Gabitril, Neurontin, Depakote, Lamictal and Topamax are the brand name options. The generic versions of anticonvulsants for anxiety are tiagabine, gabapentin, valproate, lamotrigine and topiramate.
List of Anti Anxiety Pills
Anxiety patients can also use noradrenergic agents, like beta blockers and alpha blockers, to manage symptoms. Noradrenergic agents work by treating the physiological symptoms of anxiety, such as an increased heart rate. Inderal and Tenormin are the brand name beta blockers. Propranolol, atenolol and prazosin are the generic beta blockers. Minipress, Catapres and Tenex are the brand name alpha blockers. Prazosin, clonidine and guanfacine are the generic alpha blockers.
- Anxiety patients can also use noradrenergic agents, like beta blockers and alpha blockers, to manage symptoms.
- Inderal and Tenormin are the brand name beta blockers.
The last type of medication that can be used for anxiety is atypical antipsychotics, a medication that alters the levels of serotonin in the brain, according to the ADAA. Brand name options for atypical antipsychotics include Abilify, Geodon, Risperdal, Seroquel and Zyprexa. Aripiprazole, ziprasidone, risperidone, quetiapine and olanzapine are the generic options.
Is Xanax an MAOI?
List of Anti Anxiety Pills
A List of Tricyclic Antidepressants
Advantages of Alprazolam for Fear of Flying
A List of Non Addictive Anxiety Medications
What Is Morbid Depression?
What Herbs Interact With Paxil?
Antidepressants That Cause Weight Loss
List of MAOI Antidepressants
List of Anti-Depression Medications
- NIMH.NIH.gov: What Medications are Used to Treat Anxiety Disorders?
- Cinculova A, Prasko J, Kamaradova D, et al. Adherence, self-stigma and discontinuation of pharmacotherapy in patients with anxietydisorders - cross-sectional study. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2017 Dec;38(6):429-426.
- Gomez AF, Barthel AL, Hofmann SG. Comparing the efficacy of benzodiazepines and serotonergic anti-depressants for adults with generalized anxiety disorder: a meta-analytic review. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2018 Jun;19(8):883-894. doi: 10.1080/14656566.2018.1472767. Epub 2018 May 28.
Lia Stannard has been writing about women’s health since 2006. She has her Bachelor of Science in neuroscience and is pursuing a doctorate in clinical health psychology.