How to Dissolve Spirulina Protein Powder
Spirulina can come in the form of a pill or in a powder that can be dissolved in water, juice, milk or any other type of liquid, including soup stalks. It is a protein-rich blue-green algae that is also high in minerals, vitamins and antioxidants called carotenoids, notes the University of Maryland Medical Center 1. Some of the most important vitamins spirulina contains are those in the B complex, which can serve as a supplement, especially if you are vegetarian. It also contains the essential fatty acid called gamma linolenic acid, which according to the American Cancer Society holds the promise to treat certain types of cancer cells, although further studies are still required 2.
Determine how much spirulina protein powder you want to add to your liquid, measure out the amount with a serving spoon and add it to an empty glass.
Spirulina Side Effects
Add the liquid slowly, so that it coats the spirulina protein powder. Use a spoon to stir it as you are pouring the liquid. Warm liquids tend to dissolve it faster than cold liquids.
Stir even faster once you have poured at least half of the liquid and don’t add the rest until the liquid has changed color, generally to green if the liquid was clear, and you can see no granules floating at the top. It is useful to do this in a clear glass where you can also see the bottom, to check if some spirulina protein powder has gotten stuck on the bottom edges of the glass. Otherwise scrape the bottom perimeter with your spoon or better yet, a chopstick that is straight and firm.
If you are using a blender to make a smoothie and you want to add your spirulina protein powder as a boost and for flavor, you can either dissolve the powder as described with some of the juice, milk or water you will use to make your smoothie, or add all your ingredients to the blender and turn it on. Add spirulina protein powder through the top hole that most blenders have, while it is still running. The blender will mix the powder with the rest of your ingredients and dissolve it.
It is unknown if spirulina should be given to children, so consult your pediatrician before incorporating it into your child’s diet or to yours if you are breastfeeding.
Spirulina Side Effects
How to Take Kelp Powder
Natural Thinner: How to Treat Blood Clots with Cayenne Pepper
Burdock Root Side Effects
How Do I Dissolve Vitamins?
Slippery Elm and Diarrhea
Can Spirulina Replace Multivitamins?
How to Use 5 HTP With Rhodiola Rosea to Keep Serotonin for the Brain
How to Remove Glass Splinters
How to Lance a Wound
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Spirulina
- American Cancer Society: Gamma Linolenic Acid
- Park HJ, Lee YJ, Ryu HK, Kim MH, Chung HW, Kim WY. A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled study to establish the effects of spirulina in elderly Koreans. Ann Nutr Metab. 2008;52(4):322-8. doi:10.1159/000151486
- Man LX. Complementary and alternative medicine for allergic rhinitis. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2009 17(3):226-31. doi:10.1097/MOO.0b013e3283295791
- Cingi C, Conk-Dalay M, Cakli H, Bal C. The effects of spirulina on allergic rhinitis. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2008 265(10):1219-23. doi:10.1007/s00405-008-0642-8
- Lee EH, Park JE, Choi YJ, Huh KB, Kim WY. A randomized study to establish the effects of spirulina in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients. Nutr Res Pract. 2008 2(4):295-300. doi:10.4162/nrp.2008.2.4.295
- Mani UV, Desai S, Iyer U. Studies on the Long-Term Effect of Spirulina Supplementation on Serum Lipid Profile and Glycated Proteins in NIDDM Patients. Journal of Nutraceuticals, Functional & Medical Foods, 2000;2:3, 25-32. doi:10.1300/J133v02n03_03
- Mathew B, Sankaranarayanan R, Nair PP, et al. Evaluation of chemoprevention of oral cancer with Spirulina fusiformis. Nutr Cancer. 1995;24(2):197-202. doi:10.1080/01635589509514407
- Torres-duran PV, Ferreira-hermosillo A, Juarez-oropeza MA. Antihyperlipemic and antihypertensive effects of Spirulina maxima in an open sample of Mexican population: a preliminary report. Lipids Health Dis. 2007;6:33. doi:10.1186/1476-511X-6-33
- U. V. Mani, S. Desai & U. Iyer (2000) Studies on the Long-Term Effect of Spirulina Supplementation on Serum Lipid Profile and Glycated Proteins in NIDDM Patients. Journal of Nutraceuticals, Functional & Medical Foods, 2:3, 25-32. doi:10.1300/J133v02n03_03
- Miczke A, Szulińska M, Hansdorfer-Korzon R, et al. Effects of spirulina consumption on body weight, blood pressure, and endothelial function in overweight hypertensive Caucasians: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2016;20(1):150-6.
- It is unknown if spirulina should be given to children, so consult your pediatrician before incorporating it into your child’s diet or to yours if you are breastfeeding.
Ana Cassis began writing professionally in 1995. She has been published in the magazines "Cancunissimo," "Mesa Visions" and in online heath publications. Cassis is a nutrition counselor and herbalist with experience in fitness, nutrition and yoga. She holds an Associate of Arts in architecture from San Diego Mesa College.