Sodium bicarbonate, also called baking soda, is a naturally occurring, white crystalline powder, mined from beneath the earth’s surface 12. According to ENotes.com, the chemical and physical properties of sodium bicarbonate make this mineral, once refined, a suitable ingredient in a wide variety of products 2. Refining places sodium bicarbonate into one of five grade levels manufacturers can choose from, starting with a grade #1 fine powder and ending with large granules found in Grade #5 2. In addition, refining can also produce feed and animal grade sodium bicarbonate 2.
To help baked goods rise, manufacturers add an acidic agent, such as lemon juice, to sodium bicarbonate 2. This combination leads to a release of carbon dioxide gas that absorbs into the product mixture and expands during the baking process.
Foods With Sodium Alginate
According to Drugs.com, sodium bicarbonate is a common ingredient in medications used to treat heartburn, acid indigestion or a sour stomach 2. In this capacity, sodium bicarbonate works to neutralize excess hydrochloric acid, also called stomach acid, by raising pH levels 2. Stomach acid has a pH of about 2.0, making it a strong acid. Sodium bicarbonate, which has a pH of about 8.1, raises pH to a more neutral 6.0 to 7.0 2.
Personal Care Products
Products such as toothpaste and denture cleaners, bath beads and salts, baby and deodorant powders include sodium bicarbonate, mainly because of its odor neutralizing properties 2. In toothpaste, sodium bicarbonate also works as a mildly abrasive, whitening ingredient 2. When sodium bicarbonate combines with citric acid, as is typical in denture cleaners, the resulting foam helps loosen and dissolve particles from dentures, according to Dental-Professional.com 2.
What Is Potassium Oleate?
Cleaning products use the large granule, industrial grade version of sodium bicarbonate 2. Carpet deodorizers, dry bleach and detergent based cleaners take advantage of the odor neutralizing, mild abrasive and grease cutting properties of sodium bicarbonate 2. ENotes.com notes that mild abrasion allows sodium bicarbonate to clean without scratching, as well as turn up fatty acids present in dirt and grease, making it easier for soap ingredients to dissolve and water to rinse away, dirt and grease 2.
You can find feed grade sodium bicarbonate mainly as a supplement ingredient in dairy cow feed and as a salt alternative in poultry food 2. According to NaturalSoda.com, sodium bicarbonate works in dairy cow feed in much the same way as antacids work in humans, as it helps reduce the acid content of rumen in the stomach 2. Sodium bicarbonate helps produce drier chicken litter, creating a cleaner and safer living environment 2.
Foods With Sodium Alginate
What Is Potassium Oleate?
What Are the Ingredients in Lava Soap?
The Ingredients in Desitin
What Are the Health Benefits of Sodium Borate?
Is Borax Safe for Skin?
Uses of Sulphur Powder
What Is Sodium Carboxymethyl?
Foods Containing Calcium Propionate
How to Remove New-Skin Liquid Bandage
- ENotes: Baking Soda
- Drugs: Sodium Bicarbonate
- Krustrup P, Ermidis G, Mohr M. Sodium bicarbonate intake improves high-intensity intermittent exercise performance in trained young men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:25. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0087-6
- McNaughton LR, Siegler J, Midgley A. Ergogenic effects of sodium bicarbonate. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008;7(4):230–236. doi:10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef530
- Hadzic M, Eckstein ML, Schugardt M. The impact of sodium bicarbonate on performance in response to exercise duration in athletes: A systematic review. J Sports Sci Med. 2019;18(2):271–281.
- Wan JJ, Qin Z, Wang PY, Sun Y, Liu X. Muscle fatigue: general understanding and treatment. Exp Mol Med. 2017;49(10):e384. doi:10.1038/emm.2017.194
- Carr AJ, Slater GJ, Gore CJ, Dawson B, Burke LM. Effect of sodium bicarbonate on [HCO3-], pH, and gastrointestinal symptoms. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2011;21(3):189–194. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.21.3.189
- Schwalfenberg GK. The alkaline diet: is there evidence that an alkaline pH diet benefits health?. J Environ Public Health. 2012;2012:727630. doi:10.1155/2012/727630
- Mero AA, Hirvonen P, Saarela J. et al. Effect of sodium bicarbonate and beta-alanine supplementation on maximal sprint swimming. J Int Soc Sports Nutr . 2013;10:52. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-10-52
- Edge J, Bishop D, Goodman C. Effects of chronic NaHCO3 ingestion during interval training on changes to muscle buffer capacity, metabolism, and short-term endurance performance. J Appl Physiol. 2006;101(3):918–925. doi:10.1152/japplphysiol.01534.2005
- Driller MW, Gregory JR, Williams AD, Fell JW. The effects of chronic sodium bicarbonate ingestion and interval training in highly trained rowers. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2013;23(1):40–47. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.23.1.40
- Saunders B, Sale C, Harris RC, Sunderland C. Sodium bicarbonate and high-intensity-cycling capacity: variability in responses. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2014;9(4):627–632. doi:10.1123/ijspp.2013-0295
Based in Green Bay, Wisc., Jackie Lohrey has been writing professionally since 2009. In addition to writing web content and training manuals for small business clients and nonprofit organizations, including ERA Realtors and the Bay Area Humane Society, Lohrey also works as a finance data analyst for a global business outsourcing company.