As stated in the online site, Disabled World, yeast is naturally found in the body. According to Every Diet, when an overgrowth of yeast is present, the immune system can become weakened. Symptoms may include conjunctivitis, vaginitis, athlete's foot, jock itch, muscles and joint pain, sore throat, kidney and bladder infections, constipation and diarrhea. Diets for Candida sufferers include foods that starve the yeast and help to detoxify and cleanse the body.
Vegetables provide the body with essential vitamins, minerals and fiber. Vegetables included in a Candida diet should be eaten raw or lightly steamed 2. Vegetables should be organically grown to ensure no excess toxins are present from pesticides. Garlic and onions are antifungal and can be eaten as often as possible, especially in their raw state. Freshly blended vegetable juices and wheatgrass are considered super foods and do not contribute to yeast growth.
- Vegetables provide the body with essential vitamins, minerals and fiber.
- Garlic and onions are antifungal and can be eaten as often as possible, especially in their raw state.
Intestinal Yeast & Body Odor
Though many fruits should be avoided by Candida sufferers, those that will not aggravate the condition are all types of berries, grapefruit, pineapple and papaya. Small amounts of fresh lemon can be used as a dressing for salads.
Nuts, Seeds and Legumes
Legumes such as:
- black-eyed peas
- split peas can also be added to provide extra protein
- especially for vegetarians
Meat, Fowl and Fish
Types of Tea on Candida Diet
According to Synergy Health, eating red meat may be too taxing on the digestive system in the early stages of a Candida diet 2. Red meat may be added later. Most of the game meats are good choices. Organic, free-range fowl is an acceptable protein, as is fish.
- According to Synergy Health, eating red meat may be too taxing on the digestive system in the early stages of a Candida diet 2.
- Most of the game meats are good choices.
According to All About Parasites, adding grains to a Candida diet is permissible, but in moderation 2.
Probiotics help to maintain intestinal flora balance in the body with the addition of lactobacilli, bifidobacteria and acidophilus. Eating plain yogurt without any added sugar, drinking acidophilus or taking it in pill form, and ingesting green algae such as Spirulina and chlorella help to stock the body with good bacteria. These foods create enzymes that combat Candida growth and should be taken with meals, according to Candida Albicans Cure.
Fresh herbs, unfermented soy sauce in the form of tamari, raw organic apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper can be added to dishes to provide more flavor and add nutrients without adding to yeast growth.
Drinking as much water as possible throughout the day helps to flush toxins out of the body. According to Synergy Health, the juice of half a lemon in a cup of hot water helps to rid the body of waste products produced by Candida 2.
Intestinal Yeast & Body Odor
Types of Tea on Candida Diet
Juicing Vegetables for Candida
Natural Way to Reduce Candida
Dysbiosis Diet Foods to Avoid
Yeast Infections and Stomach Belly Fat
What Are the Benefits of Buttermilk Fasting?
What Does Candida Look Like in Stool?
How Can Vegans Get Probiotics?
A Hygiene Checklist for Children
- Disabled World: Candida Yeast Infection - Foods to Eat and Avoid
- Synergy: Anti-Candida Diet
- Yapar Nur. Epidemiology and risk factors for invasive candidiasis. Ther Clin Risk Mgmt. 2014;10(2014):95-105. doi:10.2147/tcrm.s40160
- Buggio L, Somigliana E, Borghi A, Vercellini P. Probiotics and vaginal microecology: fact or fancy? BMC Womens Health. 2019 Jan;19:25. doi:10.1186/s12905-019-0723-4
- Gunther LSA, Martins HPR, Pimenta de Abreu AL, et al. Prevalence of Candida albicans and non-albicans isolates from vaginal secretions: comparative evaluation of colonization, vaginal candidiasis and recurrent vaginal candidiasis in diabetic and non-diabetic women. Sao Paulo Med. J. 2014;132(2):116-20. doi:10.1590/1516-3180.2014.1322640
- Xie HY, Feng D, Wei DM, Mei L, Chen H, Wang X, Fang F. Probiotics for vulvovaginal candidiasis in non-pregnant women. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2017;23;11(11):CD010496. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD010496.pub2
- Niewenhuizen WF, Pieters RHH, Knippels LMJ. Is Candida albicans a trigger in the onset of coeliac disease? Lancet. 2003;361(9375):2152-4. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(03)13695-1
- Pérez-Torrado R, Querol A. Opportunistic strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae: A potential risk sold in food products. Frontiers Microbiol. 2016;6:8. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2015.01522
- Wilson D. A tale of two yeasts: Saccharomyces cerevisiae as a therapeutic against candidiasis. Virulence. 2017;8(1):15-7. doi:10.1080/21505594.2016.1230580
- Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. (2015) Appendix 7. Nutritional Goals for Age-Sex Groups Based on Dietary Reference Intakes and Dietary Guidelines Recommendations. 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Kim J, Sudbery P. Candida albicans, a major human fungal pathogen. J Microbiol. 2011;49(2):171-7. doi:10.1007/s12275-011-1064-7
- Martinez RCR, Franceschini SA, Patta MC, et al. Improved treatment of vulvovaginal candidiasis with fluconazole plus probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GR-1 and Lactobacillus reuteri RC-14. Letters Applied Microbiol. 2009;48(3):269-74. doi:10.1111/j.1472-765x.2008.02477.x
Michele Kadison has been writing professionally for more than 25 years. Her blog, The Body in Form, focuses on vitality, balance and wellness as a way of life. Other publications include Next2Eden, Chefs Without Frontiers, Rockies Travel and more. Kadison has a Bachelor of Arts in writing from Hamilton College.