What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
The most common behavioral disorder in children is attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD 3. ADHD is characterized by inattention, hyperactivity and impulsive behavior. Preliminary research has shown that dietary supplements may minimize symptoms of ADHD, however, many have not been proven to be effective and are not federally regulated. Individuals interested in supplements to treat ADHD should consult a physician.
Essential Fatty Acids
Essential fatty acids include omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and have many health benefits 2. Essential fatty acids may help children with ADHD because they are thought to play a role in brain function, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center 2. Fatty acids can be consumed by eating fish or fish oil, walnuts, flaxseed and certain vegetable oils. Supplemental forms of essential fatty acids include fish oil capsules, evening primrose oil, black current seed oil and flaxseed oil 2.
Vitamins and Minerals
Vitamins to Add to Ritalin for Help With Side Effects
According to a 2004 study in the “Journal of the American College of Nutrition” by French researchers, supplemental magnesium and vitamin B6 appeared to improve behavior in children with hyperexcitability, a condition characterized by physical aggression, instability and inattention 1. Magnesium is an essential mineral found in whole grains, nuts and seeds. Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin found in beans, nuts, legumes, eggs, meats, fish, whole grains and fortified breads and cereals. Magnesium and vitamin B6 can be supplemented on their own or as part of a multivitamin or B-complex vitamin.
According to a 2008 article from “Pediatric Neurology” by researchers at the Hôpital Robert Debré, iron deficiency may contribute to ADHD, and iron supplements appear to improve ADHD symptoms in children with low iron levels. Bastyr University says iron deficiency can cause multiple behavioral problems; iron supplements are thought to improve behavior and academic performance. Iron is an essential mineral that can be found in meat, poultry, fish, beans, grains and some fruits and vegetables.
The UMMC says zinc, an essential mineral, regulates brain chemicals and in some studies has shown to improve behavior slightly in children with ADHD. Zinc can be supplemented as part of a multivitamin. Dietary sources of zinc include meat, poultry, beans, nuts and certain seafood.
- According to a 2004 study in the “Journal of the American College of Nutrition” by French researchers, supplemental magnesium and vitamin B6 appeared to improve behavior in children with hyperexcitability, a condition characterized by physical aggression, instability and inattention 1.
- According to a 2008 article from “Pediatric Neurology” by researchers at the Hôpital Robert Debré, iron deficiency may contribute to ADHD, and iron supplements appear to improve ADHD symptoms in children with low iron levels.
L-carnitine is an amino acid. According to the UMMC, a study of boys with ADHD showed that 54 percent of the group displayed improved behavior with L-carnitine supplements. The UMMC notes that L-carnitine has not been studied for its safety in children and more research is needed about its effects.
Healthy Hair Growth in Women After Menopause
Herbal supplements are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration and may have side effects and lack scientific research; however, some have been used to treat ADHD. According to the UMMC, herbs that have been used in ADHD for their calming effects include Roman chamomile, Valerian, lemon balm and passion flower. Ginkgo and American ginseng have also been used to as remedies for ADHD.
Vitamins to Add to Ritalin for Help With Side Effects
Healthy Hair Growth in Women After Menopause
Can Magnesium Stop Obsessive Compulsive Thinking?
Does Magnesium Help You Lose Weight?
The Best Supplements for ADD/ADHD
Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate and Anxiety
Can Iron Supplements Be Taken Safely With Adderall?
Effects of Zinc With Potassium
Can Lack of Sleep & Nutrients Cause Panic Attacks?
What Are the Benefits of Vitamin B-1 or Thiamine?
- “Journal of the American College of Nutrition”; Magnesium VitB6 intake reduces central nervous system hyperexcitability in children; M. Mousain-Bosc, et al.; October 2004.
- Linus Pauling Institute: Essential Fatty Acids
- “Pediatric Neurology”; Effects of iron supplementation on attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children”; E. Konofal, et al.; January 2008.
- Adler, L, Spencer, T. et al. Best practices in adult ADHD: Epidemiology, impairments, and differential diagnosis. CNS Spectr . 2008;13(S12):18-18. doi:10.1017/S1092852900003151
- Bruchmüller K, Margraf J, Schneider S. Is ADHD diagnosed in accord with diagnostic criteria? Overdiagnosis and influence of client gender on diagnosis. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 80(1):128-138. doi:10.1037/a0026582
- Skogli EW, Teicher MH, Andersen PN, Hovik KT, Øie M. ADHD in girls and boys – gender differences in co-existing symptoms and executive function measures. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13(1). doi:10.1186/1471-244X-13-298
- Fresson M, Meulemans T, Dardenne B, Geurten M. Overdiagnosis of ADHD in boys: Stereotype impact on neuropsychological assessment. Applied Neuropsychology: Child. 2019;8(3):231-245. doi:10.1080/21622965.2018.1430576
- Rucklidge JJ. Gender differences in attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2010;33(2):357-373. doi:10.1016/j.psc.2010.01.006.
- Visser SN, Danielson ML, Bitsko RH, et al. Trends in the parent-report of health care provider-diagnosed and medicated attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: United States, 2003-2011. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2014;53(1):34-46.e2. doi:10.1016/j.jaac.2013.09.001
- Russell AE, Ford T, Russell G. Socioeconomic associations with ADHD: Findings from a mediation analysis. PLoS ONE. 10(6):e0128248. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0128248
- Paris J, Bhat V, Thombs B. Is adult attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder being overdiagnosed?. Can J Psychiatry. 2015;60(7):324-8. doi:10.1177/070674371506000705
- Coates J, Taylor JA, Sayal K. Parenting interventions for ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2015;19(10):831-843. doi:10.1177/1087054714535952
- Hansson Halleröd SL, Anckarsäter H, Råstam M, Hansson Scherman M. Experienced consequences of being diagnosed with ADHD as an adult – a qualitative study. BMC Psychiatry. 2015;15(1). doi:10.1186/s12888-015-0410-4
- Holbrook JR, Cuffe SP, Cai B, et al. Persistence of parent-reported ADHD symptoms from childhood through adolescence in a community sample. J Atten Disord. 2016;20(1):11-20. doi:10.1177/1087054714539997
- Miller DJ, Derefinko KJ, Lynam DR, Milich R, Fillmore MT. Impulsivity and attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder: Subtype classification using the UPPS impulsive behavior scale. J Psychopathol Behav Assess. 2010;32(3):323-332. doi:10.1007/s10862-009-9155-z
- Faraone SV, Biederman J, Mick E. The age-dependent decline of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a meta-analysis of follow-up studies. Psychol Med. 2006;36(2):159-165. doi:10.1017/S003329170500471X
- Turgay A, Goodman DW, Asherson P, et al. Lifespan persistence of ADHD. J Clin Psychiatry. 2012;73(02):192-201. doi:10.4088/JCP.10m06628
- Torrente F, Lischinsky A, Torralva T, López P, Roca M, Manes F. Not always hyperactive?: Elevated apathy scores in adolescents and adults with ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2011;15(7):545-556. doi:10.1177/1087054709359887
- Konrad K, Eickhoff SB. Is the ADHD brain wired differently? A review on structural and functional connectivity in attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Hum Brain Mapp. 2010;31(6):904-916. doi:10.1002/hbm.21058
- Young S, Sedgwick O. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and substance misuse: an evaluation of causal hypotheses and treatment considerations. Expert Review of Neurotherapeutics. 2015;15(9):1005-1014. doi:10.1586/14737175.2015.1059756
- American Psychiatric Association, DSM-5 Task Force. Diagnostic And Statistical Manual Of Mental Disorders, DSM-5. Fifth Edition. Arlington, VA, US: American Psychiatric Association Publishing; 2013. doi:10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596
- Asherson P, Akehurst R, Kooij JJS, et al. Under diagnosis of adult ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2012;16(5_suppl):20S-38S. doi:10.1177/1087054714535952
- Bihlar Muld B, Jokinen J, Bölte S, Hirvikoski T. Long-term outcomes of pharmacologically treated versus non-treated adults with ADHD and substance use disorder: A naturalistic study. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment. 2015;51:82-90. doi:10.1016/j.jsat.2014.11.005
- Brodersen J, Schwartz LM, Heneghan C, O’Sullivan JW, Aronson JK, Woloshin S. Overdiagnosis: What it is and what it isn’t. BMJ EBM. 2018;23(1):1-3. doi:10.1136/ebmed-2017-110886
- Child and Adolescent Health Measurement Initiative. National Outcome Measure 17.4: Percent of Children, Ages 3 through 17, Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD.; 2019). childhealthdata.org
- Coker TR, Elliott MN, Toomey SL, et al. Racial and ethnic disparities in ADHD diagnosis and treatment. PEDIATRICS. 2016;138(3):e20160407-e20160407. doi:10.1542/peds.2016-0407
- Derks EM, Hudziak JJ, Boomsma DI. Why more boys than girls with ADHD receive treatment: A study of dutch twins. Twin Res Hum Genet. 2007;10(5):765-770. doi:10.1375/twin.10.5.765
- Fayyad J, Sampson NA, Hwang I, et al. The descriptive epidemiology of DSM-IV Adult ADHD in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. ADHD Atten Def Hyp Disord. 2017;9(1):47-65. doi:10.1007/s12402-016-0208-3
- Lui JHL, Johnston C, Lee CM, Lee-Flynn SC. Parental ADHD symptoms and self-reports of positive parenting. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 81(6):988-998. doi:10.1037/a0033490
- MANOS MJ, GIULIANO K, GEYER E. ADHD: Overdiagnosed and overtreated, or misdiagnosed and mistreated? Cleve Clin J Med. 2017;84(11):873-880. doi:10.3949/ccjm.84a.15051
- Sciutto MJ, Eisenberg M. Evaluating the evidence for and against the overdiagnosis of ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2007;11(2):106-113. doi:10.1177/1087054707300094
- Wilens TE, Morrison NR. The intersection of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder and substance abuse. Current Opinion in Psychiatry. 2011;24(4):280-285. doi:10.1097/YCO.0b013e328345c956
Bethany Fong is a registered dietitian and chef from Honolulu. She has produced a variety of health education materials and worked in wellness industries such as clinical dietetics, food service management and public health.