If your child has a loose tooth, you may feel tempted to help him yank it out 1. It is not necessary to assist in pulling out a loose baby tooth since the roots dissolve naturally and the tooth will fall out on its own. If pulled out too soon, complications can occur that require a trip to the dentist. Instead of reaching in and pulling the tooth out, you can encourage the child to wiggle the tooth with his tongue, suggests the Babycenter website.
If you pull a loose baby tooth out of a child’s mouth, especially before it is ready to come out, bleeding is likely to occur 12. Babycenter suggests that you help control the bleeding with the use of a piece of gauze moistened with cool water. Place the gauze over the top of the bleeding and apply light pressure for several minutes. If the bleeding continues, contact a dentist right away.
- If you pull a loose baby tooth out of a child’s mouth, especially before it is ready to come out, bleeding is likely to occur 1.
- Babycenter suggests that you help control the bleeding with the use of a piece of gauze moistened with cool water.
How to Remove Baby Teeth Painlessly
Since you are ripping the tooth away from the gums to remove it, the child will experience pain. According to "Parents" magazine, the area is likely to be sensitive since new teeth may be coming in and the baby teeth cutting into the gums. The gums are likely to be swollen and the child may have some discomfort. When the tooth is yanked out of the mouth, the child is likely to feel some pain and soreness for several minutes. If the pain does not stop, she may have developed an infection.
- Since you are ripping the tooth away from the gums to remove it, the child will experience pain.
- When the tooth is yanked out of the mouth, the child is likely to feel some pain and soreness for several minutes.
The most serious effect of pulling out a loose baby tooth is that it increases the child’s risk of infection. At the site of the infection, swelling and pain can occur. A dentist needs to be contacted if an infection is suspected. Treatment of the infection may require the use of antibiotics and pain relievers.
- The most serious effect of pulling out a loose baby tooth is that it increases the child’s risk of infection.
How to Remove Baby Teeth Painlessly
How to Treat a Swollen Lip on Child
How to Extract a Tooth at Home
What to Do for a 2 Year Old's Sinus Congestion
Children With Nosebleeds at Night
Tooth Pain After Eating
A Canker Sore in a Toddler
How to Look After a Child With a Broken Tibia at Home
Relief From Wisdom Tooth Pain
Do Mouth Guards Stop Teeth Grinding in Children?
- Dentistry.com: What to Do if Your Child Has a Loose Baby Tooth
- Babycenter: Should I pull out a very loose tooth?
- Renton T. Dental (Odontogenic) Pain. Rev Pain. 2011;5(1):2-7. doi:10.1177/204946371100500102
- Lin M, Genin GM, Xu F, Lu T. Thermal Pain in Teeth: Electrophysiology Governed by Thermomechanics. Appl Mech Rev. 2014;66(3):0308011-3080114. doi:10.1115/1.4026912
- Rajeswari K, Kandaswamy D, Karthick S. Endodontic management of patients with systemic complications. J Pharm Bioallied Sci. 2016;8(Suppl 1):S32-S35. doi:10.4103/0975-7406.191962
- Markowitz K, Moynihan M, Liu M, Kim S. Biologic properties of eugenol and zinc oxide-eugenol. A clinically oriented review. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol. 1992;73(6):729-37.
- Hersh EV, Ciancio SG, Kuperstein AS, et al. An evaluation of 10 percent and 20 percent benzocaine gels in patients with acute toothaches: efficacy, tolerability and compliance with label dose administration directions. J Am Dent Assoc. 2013;144(5):517-26.
- Bei M. Molecular genetics of tooth development. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2009;19(5):504-10. doi:10.1016/j.gde.2009.09.002
- Hasan S, Singh K, Salati N. Cracked tooth syndrome: Overview of literature. Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2015;5(3):164-8. doi:10.4103/2229-516X.165376
- American Dental Association. The American Dental Association. Do You Have a Cracked Tooth?
Heather Topham Wood is a seasoned writer whose work has appeared in numerous publications, including USA Today, Gadgetell, Feel Rich and Step in Style. Heather is a published novelist with six Amazon bestsellers and a contract through Crescent Moon Press. She holds a bachelor's degree in English from TCNJ.