Prilosec, also known by the generic name omeprazole, belongs to a class of medications known as proton pump inhibitors. Proton pump inhibitors are drugs used to suppress production of stomach acid. Prilosec is used to treat frequent heartburn, gastroesophageal reflux disease, stomach ulcers, duodenal ulcers and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Long-term use of Prilosec may cause several adverse side effects 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
A fracture is a break in the continuity of the bone. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, long-term use of high doses of Prilosec may cause increased of fractures of the hip, wrist and spine. The risk of fractures is even greater in patients older than 50 years who have used Prilosec for a long-time. The FDA recommends that doctors prescribe low doses of Prilosec and for the shortest duration.
- A fracture is a break in the continuity of the bone.
- The risk of fractures is even greater in patients older than 50 years who have used Prilosec for a long-time.
4 Negative Side Effects of Nexium & Prilosec
According to Drugs.com, Prilosec is metabolized in the liver 1. The liver converts Prilosec into by products which can be easily excreted from the body. Constant exposure of the liver to high doses of Prilosec damages the liver leading to liver failure. Signs and symptoms of liver failure include nausea, right upper abdominal pain, clay colored stool and yellowing of the eyes and the skin.
- According to Drugs.com, Prilosec is metabolized in the liver 1.
- Constant exposure of the liver to high doses of Prilosec damages the liver leading to liver failure.
Esophageal candidiasis as the overgrowth of fungus in the esophagus. Stomach acid is important in preventing growth of fungus in the esophagus. According to Drugs.com, use of Prilosec for a long-time creates a favorable environment for the growth of fungus in esophagus as Prilosec blocks the production of acid in the stomach 1. Esophageal candidiasis causes painful swallowing which may lead to excess weight loss.
- Esophageal candidiasis as the overgrowth of fungus in the esophagus.
- According to Drugs.com, use of Prilosec for a long-time creates a favorable environment for the growth of fungus in esophagus as Prilosec blocks the production of acid in the stomach 1.
4 Negative Side Effects of Nexium & Prilosec
What are the Long-Term Effects of Omeprazole?
Omeprazole Liver Side Effects
What are the Side Effects of Prilosec in Infants?
Bad Breath and Lactose Intolerance
Abdomen Enlargement Side Effects from Omeprazole
Probiotics for Pancreatitis
Claritin & Iron Deficiency Anemia
Nystatin Side Effects for Infants
How to Treat a Salicylic Acid Burn
- Drugs.com: Prilosec Side Effects
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Questions and answers on Prilosec OTC (omeprazole). Updated November 27, 2015.
- Katz P, Gerson L, Vela M. Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108(3):308-328. doi:10.1038/ajg.2012.444
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Diagnosis of GER and GERD. Updated November 2014.
- Strand DS, Kim D, Peura DA. 25 years of proton pump inhibitors: a comprehensive review. Gut Liver. 2017;11(1):27-37. doi:10.5009/gnl15502
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Highlights of prescribing information: Prilosec. Updated September 2012.
- Food and Drug Administration. Prilosec prescribing information. Prilosec (omeprazole) label. Updated December 2016.
- Irving SA, Vadiveloo T, Leese GP. Drugs that interact with levothyroxine: an observational study from the Thyroid Epidemiology, Audit and Research Study (TEARS). Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2015;82(1):136-41. doi:10.1111/cen.12559
- Hansen KE, Jones AN, Lindstrom MJ, et al. Do proton pump inhibitors decrease calcium absorption? J Bone Miner Res. 2010;25(12):2786-95. doi:10.1002/jbmr.166
- Li W, Zeng S, Yu LS, Zhou Q. Pharmacokinetic drug interaction profile of omeprazole with adverse consequences and clinical risk management. Ther Clin Risk Manag. 2013;9:259-71. doi:10.2147/TCRM.S43151
- Kinoshita Y, Ishimura N, Ishihara S. Advantages and disadvantages of long-term proton pump inhibitor use. J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2018;24(2):182-196. doi:10.5056/jnm18001
Esther Kinuthia is a registered nurse with extensive experience in health and wellness. She holds a B.S. in nursing, B.A in psychology and has worked for more than ten years in the health-care field. She enjoys writing articles on a variety of topics for the Internet. Her work has been published in various websites.