What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
With 325 different enzymes dependent on a suitable supply of magnesium, you should not overlook the importance of this mineral. However, it would appear that many individuals do just that; Charles Poliquin, the Canadian strength coach who has worked with 16 Olympic medal-winning athletes, places a high priority on the the magnesium status of his clients and reports that 100 percent of those new to the clinic are magnesium deficient. Several supplements stand out for higher rates of absorption.
Magnesium citrate forms when the element binds to citric acid molecules. Citrate forms offer a high rate of absorption in the intestines. A study by Torsten Bohn, Ph.D., at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology tested a range of magnesium compounds for bioavailability and found that citrate scored among the highest for rate of absorption. Magnesium stands out as a fairly popular supplement; you will likely have little trouble finding this form of the mineral in health shops.
- Magnesium citrate forms when the element binds to citric acid molecules.
- A study by Torsten Bohn, Ph.D., at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology tested a range of magnesium compounds for bioavailability and found that citrate scored among the highest for rate of absorption.
The Magnesium Dosage for High Blood Pressure
Chemists form magnesium glycinate by bonding the mineral ions with glycine. Glycine, an amino acid, allows for superior absorption inside the digestive tract because of the active transport systems employed by intestinal cells to absorb amino acids. Whereas minerals typically passively diffuse across the gut wall, an this active transport system increases absorption of amino acids and any substances they are bound with. The high bioavailability of magnesium glycinate and report how you are less likely to experience diarrhea this form; bowel disturbances may occur with higher intakes of some magnesium supplements.
- Chemists form magnesium glycinate by bonding the mineral ions with glycine.
- Whereas minerals typically passively diffuse across the gut wall, an this active transport system increases absorption of amino acids and any substances they are bound with.
Taurine provides the basis for magnesium taurate supplements. As an amino acid, taurine can enhance absorption of magnesium due to the active transport systems that exist for these compounds. Taurates may provide specific benefits for those suffering from hypertension or trouble sleeping, as taurine provides a calming effect on the central nervous system. Wellness.com reports how taurine has featured in protocols for improving absorption of fats and in diet drinks to reduce jitteriness 1. Such complementary effects make magnesium taurate a very useful product.
- Taurine provides the basis for magnesium taurate supplements.
- Wellness.com reports how taurine has featured in protocols for improving absorption of fats and in diet drinks to reduce jitteriness 1.
The Magnesium Dosage for High Blood Pressure
The Best Supplements for ADD/ADHD
Magnesium for Menstrual Cramps
Diarrhea & Dizziness With Magnesium Overdose
The Amount of Calcium and Magnesium for a 70-Year-Old Woman
What Minerals Strengthen Blood Vessels?
What Is Magnesium Lactate?
Magnesium and Blood Clots
How Much Magnesium Per Day?
Calcium & Magnesium Side Effects
- Wellness.com: Taurine
- Rodríguez-Morán M, Guerrero-Romero F. Oral Magnesium Supplementation Improves Insulin Sensitivity and Metabolic Control in Type 2 Diabetic Subjects: A randomized double-blind controlled trial. Diabetes Care.2003 Apr;26(4):1147-52. doi:10.2337/diacare.26.4.1147
- Office of Dietary Supplements/National Institutes of Health. Magnesium: Fact Sheet for Health Professionals. Bethesda, Maryland; updated July 11, 2019.
- Kass LS, Poeira F. The effect of acute vs chronic magnesium supplementation on exercise and recovery on resistance exercise, blood pressure and total peripheral resistance on normotensive adults. J Int Soc Sports Nut. 2015;12:19. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0081-z
- Morais JBS, Severo JS, de Alencar GRR, et al. Effect of magnesium supplementation on insulin resistance in humans: A systematic review. Nutrition. 2017 Jun;38:54-60. doi:10.1016/j.nut.2017.01.009
- Rosanoff A, Weaver CM, Rude RK. Suboptimal magnesium status in the United States: are the health consequences underestimated? Nutr Rev. 2012 Mar;70(3):153-64. doi:10.1111/j.1753-4887.2011.00465.x
- Zhang X, Li Y, Del Gobbo LC, et al. Effects of Magnesium Supplementation on Blood Pressure: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trials. Hypertension. 2016;68:324-33. doi:10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.116.07664
A London-based personal trainer, nutritional therapist and allergist, Marek Doyle runs Blueprintfitness.co.uk and counts world champion athletes and TV personalities amongst his clientele. He has contributed to various publications, including Good Life magazine, Natural News and PTontheNet.