30 January, 2018
Weight Loss Benefits of Tai Chi
Tai chi gets your body moving, helping you burn more calories to aid in weight loss. Beyond calorie expenditure, tai chi may help reduce stress levels if you perform it often -- and high stress is related to increased weight. Therefore, the combined caloric burn and stress reduction effects of tai chi could help you slim your waistline.
Tai Chi and Calories
To lose 1 pound of fat, you must burn 3,500 calories. A 30-minute tai chi session will burn roughly 150 calories for a 155-pound person -- about the same as walking at a moderate pace. Although you don't burn as many calories with tai chi as with more vigorous activities such as jogging, the numbers add up over time, potentially leading to weight loss over the weeks. For faster results, pair your tai chi routine with a sensible diet.
Tai Chi and Stress
In a study published in the journal "Obesity" in 2007, researchers followed healthy female volunteers and monitored stress levels, eating patterns and weight. High stress levels were directly related to overeating and weight gain, indicating that reducing stress may positively impact weight management. As a known stress reliever, tai chi may provide this fat-fighting benefit for some.
- HelpGuide.org: How to Practice Yoga & Tai Chi
- Obesity: The Effects of Stress on Body Weight: Biological and Psychological Predictors of Change in BMI
- Harvard Health Publications: Calories Burned in 30 Minutes for People of Three Different Weights
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Healthy Weight - it's Not a Diet, It's a Lifestyle!
- Wavebreakmedia/iStock/Getty Images