What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
When used properly, gas grills can provide a good source of energy for cooking. Gas grills are intended for outdoor use or in very well ventilated areas. They are convenient and can be hooked up directly to a main natural gas source or fed by portable containers of gas. Users should take precautions when using gas grills to avoid the health dangers inherent in the appliances.
When defective, gas grills can cause fires. Hoses can come loose or other parts of the apparatus come in contact with the flames and cause a fire. When drip pans become full, they can also cause fires. Flames can come in contact with people nearby the grill or catch nearby houses or dry grass on fire and lead to additional damage. Blocked pipes, gas leaks and crimped hoses also can lead to fires. Consumers should pay attention to recalls on grills with known defects that cause fires and return the grills or take them in for service. Regular cleaning of drip pans and grease traps can help to prevent burning.
- When defective, gas grills can cause fires.
- Hoses can come loose or other parts of the apparatus come in contact with the flames and cause a fire.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Propane Stove Safety
At high enough levels, carbon monoxide is deadly, report researchers at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 1. The deadly gas is created whenever a gas grill is fired up. Carbon monoxide, or CO, is safe when the grill is operating properly, but when used improperly or in defective grills, it can be dangerous. The CDC reports that hundreds die from accidental CO poisoning every year. Fumes should always be vented outdoors with a gas grill to prevent a buildup of CO. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include nausea, headaches, confusion, shortness of breath and dizziness.
- At high enough levels, carbon monoxide is deadly, report researchers at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency 1.
- Carbon monoxide, or CO, is safe when the grill is operating properly, but when used improperly or in defective grills, it can be dangerous.
Propane is an odorless, colorless substance used as fuel in some gas grills 2. Propane exposure can come from direct contact on the skin and eyes or through inhaling the fumes 2. Propane is an asphyxiate, cutting off the flow of oxygen through the body 2. Exposure can lead to suffocation and death. High levels of propane when inhaled can cause unconsciousness, seizures and cardiac arrest 2. When it touches the skin, liquid propane causes frostbite conditions 2. Even low levels of propane exposure can cause headache, nausea, numbness of the arms and legs and vomiting 2. Long-term effects could include weight loss, conjunctivitis, memory loss and skin discoloration.
Propane Stove Safety
Side Effects of Huffing Computer Duster
Side Effects of Breathing Freon or Other Refrigerants
What Can Make You Feel Dizzy in Your House?
What Are the Dangers of Methane Gas?
Effects of Hydrochloric Acid Fumes
Gas Stove Burner Safety
Health Problems Related to Natural Gas Leaks
Side Effects of Inhaling Gas Fumes
Toxic Vapors Emitted From New Tires
Linda Ray is an award-winning journalist with more than 20 years reporting experience. She's covered business for newspapers and magazines, including the "Greenville News," "Success Magazine" and "American City Business Journals." Ray holds a journalism degree and teaches writing, career development and an FDIC course called "Money Smart."