Seemingly everyone has experienced muscle pain at some point 1. Many common causes of muscle pain include delayed-onset muscle soreness, a muscle cramp, compartment syndrome and the flu, according to the Mayo Clinic 1. A tear in the muscle body can also cause significant symptoms.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Pain is the most common symptom associated with a muscle tear, according to Medline Plus 12. The pain from a biceps muscle tear can range from minimal to excruciating, depending on the size of the tear 1. A tear is painful because both the muscle belly and the nerves around it will be affected. While some of these nerves send the signal for the biceps to contract, others are sensory nerves that can sense pain. According to Medline Plus, control your muscle pain by resting the muscle, taking over-the-counter pain relievers as directed and applying ice 12. See your doctor if your pain is intolerable or is not resolving.
What Are the Symptoms of Torn Tendons?
Swelling is a common symptom of a biceps tear. You may notice that the torn biceps looks bigger than the biceps on the opposite arm. Swelling occurs because the blood vessels inside the muscle are torn and bleed into the surrounding tissues. Leaking blood can stretch surrounding tissues and cause significant pain. Be sure to rest your injured biceps, apply ice and elevate your biceps above the level of your heart when possible to reduce swelling. Alert your doctor if your swelling does not resolve.
- Swelling is a common symptom of a biceps tear.
- You may notice that the torn biceps looks bigger than the biceps on the opposite arm.
Weakness will also occur with a torn biceps muscle. It may be difficult for you to bend your elbow or turn your palm upwards. This occurs because a torn biceps muscle results in fewer muscle fibers. Because there are fewer fibers, the contraction of the entire muscle will be limited and result in weakness. Allow time for your muscle to heal with rest. After the pain and swelling have resolved, you may progress to light biceps exercises. Consult your doctor if you are not regaining strength in your biceps muscle.
- Weakness will also occur with a torn biceps muscle.
- Consult your doctor if you are not regaining strength in your biceps muscle.
What Are the Symptoms of Torn Tendons?
Glute & Hamstring Pain
Hernia Symptoms for Women
Massage Therapy & Hamstring Injuries
Hyperextension of the Calf
Signs of a Pulled Chest Muscle
Flank Pain From a Stretching Tear or Pulled Muscle
Can You Lose Weight in Your Legs in a Week?
Symptoms of a Torn Calf Muscle
Difference Between a Pulled Muscle & a Cramp
- Mayo Clinic: Muscle Pain
- Medline Plus: Muscle Aches
- Cleveland Clinic. Muscle Pain: Possible Causes. Updated December 3, 2017.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Sprains, Strains and Other Soft-Tissue Injuries. Updated July 2015.
- Allen RE, Kirby KA. Nocturnal leg cramps. Am Fam Physician. 2012;86(4):350-5.
- Jafri MS. Mechanisms of Myofascial Pain. Int Sch Res Notices. 2014;2014:523924. doi:10.1155/2014/523924
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Compartment Syndrome. Updated October 2009.
- Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center. Pyomyositis.
- Centers for Disease and Prevention. Flu Symptoms & Complications. Updated September 18, 2019.
- Barry AR, Beach JE, Pearson GJ. Prevention and management of statin adverse effects: A practical approach for pharmacists. Can Pharm J (Ott). 2018;151(3):179–188. doi:10.1177/1715163518768534
- Ozaras N, Rezvani A. Diffuse skeletal pain after administration of alendronate. Indian J Pharmacol. 2010;42(4):245–246. doi:10.4103/0253-7613.68435
- Younus J, Kligman L. Management of aromatase inhibitor-induced arthralgia. Curr Oncol. 2010;17(1):87–90. doi:10.3747/co.v17i1.474
- National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. Fibromyalgia. Updated July 2014.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. What is ME/CFS? Updated July 12, 2018.
- Arthritis Foundation. Polymyalgia Rheumatica.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA). Updated March 5, 2019.
- Merck Manual Professional Version. Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). Updated Feb 2018.
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. Inflammatory Myopathies Fact Sheet. Updated August 13, 2019.
- National Organization for Rare Disorder. Addison's Disease. Updated 2018.
- Cleveland Clinic. Osteomalacia. Updated August 14, 2018.
- Torres PA, Helmstetter JA, Kaye AM, Kaye AD. Rhabdomyolysis: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and treatment. Ochsner J. 2015;15(1):58–69.
- Wilk KE, Hooks TR. The Painful Long Head of the Biceps Brachii: Nonoperative Treatment Approaches. Clin Sports Med. 2016;35(1):75-92. doi:10.1016/j.csm.2015.08.012
- Kowalczuk M, Kohut K, Sabzevari S, Naendrup JH, Lin A. Proximal Long Head Biceps Rupture: A Predictor of Rotator Cuff Pathology. Arthroscopy. 2018;34(4):1166-1170. doi:10.1016/j.arthro.2017.10.050
- Churgay CA. Diagnosis and treatment of biceps tendinitis and tendinosis. Am Fam Physician. 2009;80(5):470-6.
- Meeks BD, Meeks NM, Froehle AW, Wareing E, Bonner KF. Patient Satisfaction After Biceps Tenotomy. Orthop J Sports Med. 2017;5(5):2325967117707737. doi:10.1177/2325967117707737
- Nho SJ, Strauss EJ, Lenart BA, et al. Long Head of the Biceps Tendinopathy: Diagnosis and Management. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2010;18(11):645-56.
- Ponnappan RK, Khan M, Matzon JL, et al. Clinical Differentiation of Upper Extremity Pain Etiologies. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2015;23(8):492-500. doi: 10.5435/JAAOS-D-11-00086.
As a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician I have extensive experience in musculoskeletal/neurological medicine that will benefit the network.