Doing situps and other abdominal exercises not only is important for toning your abdominal muscles, it also can help improve your balance and stability and make it easier for you to go about your normal activities. However, in some cases situps can cause testicular pain and indicate a groin injury 2. See your doctor for treatment.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Your testicles are very sensitive, so even a minor injury can cause testicular pain. Infections, hernias, torsion and fluid in the testicles also can result in testicular pain. Some causes of testicular pain can be serious and may lead to infertility if you don't treat them on a timely basis, so speak with your doctor to determine the appropriate treatment for your condition.
Groin Pain After Golf
One potential cause of testicular pain after situps is osteitis pubis, which is an inflammation of the pubis symphysis, tissue that connects the two halves of the the pelvis. Situps can bring on this pain if the inflammation is located near the front of the pubis symphysis, according to an article published in October 2001 in "American Family Physician. 2"
If you train your abdominal muscles too much, you can cause compression of the ilioinguinal nerve, which passes from the scrotum through your abdominal muscles. Your ilioinguinal nerve also can be injured due to direct trauma. However, compression of the ilioinguinal nerve is not very common. Your doctor may recommend local corticosteroid injections or surgery, depending on the type of pain involved.
- If you train your abdominal muscles too much, you can cause compression of the ilioinguinal nerve, which passes from the scrotum through your abdominal muscles.
Lower Stomach & Groin Pain
A variety of problems can cause testicular pain, and distinguishing between some of them can be difficult. Diagnosis requires the services of a trained medical professional. Other potential causes of groin pain include sports hernias, groin disruption and fractures. Although these are not necessarily linked with situps, they may need to be ruled out.
- A variety of problems can cause testicular pain, and distinguishing between some of them can be difficult.
Groin Pain After Golf
Lower Stomach & Groin Pain
How Come When I Exercise My Testicles Hurt?
Groin & Hip Pain Upon Standing & Walking
Causes of Testicle and Penis Pain
Gluteus Maximus Pain in Yoga
Hip Pain From Squats
Swimming for Hip Flexor Injuries
Causes of Pain Down the Outside of the Thigh
Causes of Calf Pain During Jumping Jacks
- MedlinePlus: Testicle Pain
- American Family Physician: Groin Injuries in Athletes
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. (n.d.). Hip Fractures. https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/hip-fractures/
- Shetty VD, Shetty NS, Shetty AP. Groin pain in athletes: a novel diagnostic approach. SICOT J. 2015;1:16. doi:10.1051/sicotj/2015017
- Tyler TF, Silvers HJ, Gerhardt MB, Nicholas SJ. Groin injuries in sports medicine. Sports Health. 2010;2(3):231-6. doi:10.1177/1941738110366820
- Jenkins JT, O'dwyer PJ. Inguinal hernias. BMJ. 2008;336(7638):269-72. doi:10.1136/bmj.39450.428275.AD
- Chung C, Stern PJ, Dufton J. Urolithiasis presenting as right flank pain: a case report. J Can Chiropr Assoc. 2013;57(1):69-75.
- Khan AM, Mcloughlin E, Giannakas K, Hutchinson C, Andrew JG. Hip osteoarthritis: where is the pain? Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2004;86(2):119-21. doi:10.1308/003588404322827518
- Pun S, Kumar D, Lane NE. Femoroacetabular impingement. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2015;67(1):17-27. doi:10.1002/art.38887
- Groh MM, Herrera J. A comprehensive review of hip labral tears. Curr Rev Musculoskelet Med. 2009;2(2):105-17. doi:10.1007/s12178-009-9052-9
- Moya-angeler J, Gianakos AL, Villa JC, Ni A, Lane JM. Current concepts on osteonecrosis of the femoral head.World J Orthop. 2015;6(8):590-601. doi:10.5312/wjo.v6.i8.590
- Larson CM. Sports hernia/athletic pubalgia: evaluation and management. Sports Health. 2014;6(2):139-44. doi:10.1177/1941738114523557
- Allegri M, Montella S, Salici F, et al. Mechanisms of low back pain: a guide for diagnosis and therapy. F1000Res. 2016;5. doi:10.12688/f1000research.8105.2
- Gomella P, Mufarrij P. Osteitis pubis: A rare cause of suprapubic pain. Rev Urol. 2017;19(3):156-163.
- Bisciotti GN, Auci A, Di marzo F, et al. Groin pain syndrome: an association of different pathologies and a case presentation. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2015;5(3):214-22. doi:10.11138/mltj/2015.5.3.214
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. (n.d.). Hip Fractures.
- Bisciotti GN et al. Groin Pain Syndrome: An Association of Different Pathologies and a Case Presentation. Muscles Ligaments Tendons J. 2015 Jul-Sep;5(3):214-22.
- Johnson R. (2018). Approach to hip and groin pain in the athlete and active adult. Fricker P, Fields KB, eds. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
- Martin RR, Martin HD, Kivlan BR. Nerve Entrapment in the Hip Region: Current Concepts Review. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2017 Dec;12(7):1163-73.
- Wilson JJ, Furukawa M. Evaluation of the Patient with Hip Pain. Am Fam Physician. 2014 Jan 1;89(1):27-34.
Based in Massachusetts, Jessica Bruso has been writing since 2008. She holds a master of science degree in food policy and applied nutrition and a bachelor of arts degree in international relations, both from Tufts University.