What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Developed by cardiologist Arthur Agatston, the South Beach Diet is not your usual high-protein diet. Unlike other commercial diet plans, the South Beach Diet emphasizes healthy proteins and is considered a moderate-carb, as opposed to low-carb, diet. Like other carb-restricted diets, however, the South Beach Diet is divided into phases to help you adjust to the diet and promote weight loss.
About Phase 1
During Phase 1, your diet is limited to healthy proteins such as:
- olive oil
For the Egg Eaters
400 Calorie Meal Ideas
Breakfast during Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet is a breeze if you enjoy eating eggs 123. For example, you might make a three-egg omelet filled with 1 cup of spinach and 1 ounce of Swiss cheese. This meal contains 350 calories, 30 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbs and 23 grams of fat.
You might also like a crust-free individual quiche made with two eggs, 1 ounce of diced chicken breast, 1 ounce of cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup of diced onions and peppers. This meal contains 310 calories, 28 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs and 25 grams of fat.
- Breakfast during Phase 1 of the South Beach Diet is a breeze if you enjoy eating eggs 1.
- This meal contains 310 calories, 28 grams of protein, 3 grams of carbs and 25 grams of fat.
A Focus on Dairy
This meal contains 315 calories, 11 grams of carbs, 26 grams of protein and 18 grams of fat.
Or try 1 cup of low-fat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup of diced zucchini, 1/2 cup of diced tomatoes and 1/4 of an avocado. This meal contains 335 calories, 30 grams of protein, 5 grams of carbs and 22 grams of fat.
Calories in Prosciutto Ham
Even strict vegetarians can follow the South Beach Diet during Phase 1 of the plan 123. You might enjoy 1 cup of tofu scrambled with turmeric, 1/2 cup of peppers and 1/2 cup of zucchini in 2 teaspoons of olive oil, served with 1 cup of soy milk. This meal contains 385 calories, 24 grams of protein, 17 grams of carbs and 25 grams of fat.
A savory bean salad made with 1 cup of eggplant and 1 cup of tomatoes sauteed in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and tossed with 1 cup of garbanzo beans and served with 12 almonds may not be a conventional breakfast, but it makes a good meatless option during Phase 1. This meal contains 380 calories, 18 grams of protein, 40 grams of carbs and 15 grams of fat.
- Even strict vegetarians can follow the South Beach Diet during Phase 1 of the plan 1.
- A savory bean salad made with 1 cup of eggplant and 1 cup of tomatoes sauteed in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and tossed with 1 cup of garbanzo beans and served with 12 almonds may not be a conventional breakfast, but it makes a good meatless option during Phase 1.
400 Calorie Meal Ideas
Calories in Prosciutto Ham
The Best Low-Carb Induction Meals
Foods to Avoid With Gallbladder Attacks
Healthy Food in the Philippines
The Best Gestational Diabetes Meal Plan
Can Almonds Raise Your Cholesterol?
Coleslaw for Diabetics
Breakfast Ideas With 15 Grams of Carbohydrates
- MayoClinic.org: South Beach Diet
- South Beach Diet: About the South Beach Diet
- South Beach Diet: What Can I Eat: Phase 1
- University of Arkansas Division of Agriculture: The Exchange List System for Diabetic Meal Planning
- USDA National Nutrient Database: Yogurt, Greek, Plain, Nonfat
- Agatston MD A. The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss. St. Martin’s Paperback. 2003.
- How the South Beach Diet works. South Beach Diet.
- Lose weight and get in the best shape of your life! South Beach Diet.
- Do I have to exercise on the South Beach Diet? South Beach Diet.
- Gold Plan. South Beach Diet.
- Lose weight eating chef-inspired meals and snacks. South Beach Diet.
- Physical activity for a healthy weight. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. US Department of Health and Human Services. 2015.
- Losing weight. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. US Department of Health and Human Services. 2018.
- How does a low-carb diet work? Atkins.
- Sinha R, Cross AJ, Graubard BI, Leitzmann MF, Schatzkin A. Meat intake and mortality: a prospective study of over half a million people. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(6):562–571. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2009.6
- Campos M. Ketogenic diet: is the ultimate low-carb diet good for you? Harvard Health Publishing. Harvard Medical School. 2017.
Jill Corleone is a registered dietitian and health coach who has been writing and lecturing on diet and health for more than 15 years. Her work has been featured on the Huffington Post, Diabetes Self-Management and in the book "Noninvasive Mechanical Ventilation," edited by John R. Bach, M.D. Corleone holds a Bachelor of Science in nutrition.