The skin is the body’s largest organ and a reflection of good health. Sometimes, the sudden appearance of skin discoloration or other irregularities indicate a greater problem stirring inside the body. When liver failure occurs, the skin acts as a major indicator, as one of the most common signs of liver failure is the yellowing of the skin and the whites of the eyes caused by a condition known as jaundice, which can also cause the skin to become itchier. In addition, bruising and the appearance of minor scrapes and cuts that bleed excessively are often indicators of liver failure.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Liver failure is not the only condition that can cause:
- as it can also indicate liver disease
- bile duct blockage
- hemolytic anemia
- certain cancers
Susceptibility to Bruising and Bleeding
Skin Rashes From Alcoholism & Liver Disease
Liver failure can cause bruises to appear easily and can lead even the most minor injury to result in major blood loss 2. This is because a damaged liver cannot properly synthesize the proteins that the blood needs to clot properly.
There are other conditions that may affect the blood’s ability to clot aside from liver failure. Certain aspirins and medications known as blood thinners, inflammation of blood vessels, or conditions such as lupus, malnutrition and some forms of cancer can have similar effects as liver failure on the blood’s ability to clot.
- Liver failure can cause bruises to appear easily and can lead even the most minor injury to result in major blood loss 2.
- There are other conditions that may affect the blood’s ability to clot aside from liver failure.
Other Indicators of Liver Failure
Due to the serious nature of liver failure and the fact that the symptoms of liver failure that appear on the skin are shared with other conditions, it is best to see a doctor as soon as possible when skin discolorations appear. Other symptoms of liver failure are nausea, fatigue, confusion, weakness and loss of appetite.
Skin Rashes From Alcoholism & Liver Disease
Symptoms of Decreased Liver Function
Decompensated Liver Disease Symptoms
End-Stage Cirrhosis Symptoms
Kidney Function & Pomegranate Juice
What Causes Small Red Lines on the Face Under the Skin?
Does Taking Aspirin Cause Red Spots Under the Skin?
Difference Between Physiological & Pathological Jaundice
Causes of Brown Spots on the Skin
What Causes Dark Spots on the Face?
- Medicine Net: Jaundice Signs, Symptoms and Treatment
- Web MD: Bruises and Blood Spots Under the Skin- Overview
- Boston Children’s Hospital. Liver failure: symptoms and causes.
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. Acute liver failure. Updated November 2018.
- Kumar S. Overview of Acute Viral Hepatitis. Merck Manual Consumer Version. Updated October 2019.
- Cleveland Clinic. Liver Failure. 2018.
- Stanford Health Care. Chronic Liver Disease.
- Stanford Health Care. Cirrhosis symptoms.
- Kalaitzakis E. Gastrointestinal dysfunction in liver cirrhosis. World J Gastroenterol. 2014;20(40):14686-14695. doi:10.3748/wjg.v20.i40.14686
- El Hadi H, Di Vincenzo A, Vettor R, Rossato M. Cardio-Metabolic Disorders in Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2019;20(9):2215. doi:10.3390/ijms20092215
- Tholey D. Liver Failure. Merck Manual Consumer Version. Updated January 2020.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. Types of Viral Hepatitis.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hepatitis D. Updated June 13, 2019.
- Reuben A, Koch DG, Lee WM. Drug-induced acute liver failure: results of a U.S. multicenter, prospective study. Hepatology. 2010;52(6):2065-2076. doi:10.1002/hep.23937
- Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center. Autoimmune Hepatitis.
- MedlinePlus. Fatty Liver Disease. Updated November 19, 2019.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. Common Characteristics of Liver Disease.
- Stanford Health Care. Liver Function Tests for Chronic Liver Disease.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Liver Transplant Surgery. 2017.
- Gustot T, Jalan R. Acute-on-chronic liver failure in patients with alcohol-related liver disease. J Hepatol. 2019;70(2):319-327. doi: 10.1016/j.jhep.2018.12.008.
- Thorsen T, Solheim JM, Labori KJ, Line PD, Aandahl EM. Liver transplantation as a lifesaving procedure for posthepatectomy liver failure and iatrogenic liver injuries. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2019;404(3):301-308. doi:10.1007/s00423-019-01780-3. Epub 2019 Mar 30.
This article was written by a professional writer, copy edited and fact checked through a multi-point auditing system, in efforts to ensure our readers only receive the best information. To submit your questions or ideas, or to simply learn more, see our about us page: link below.