Signs and Symptoms of Eating Mold on Bread

By Mara Shannon

Mold on bread can contain allergic reaction-causing spores as well as mycotoxins, dangerous compounds which can cause upset stomach or even death. Moldy bread should be carefully discarded and never eaten.

Crumpets on dish

Mold on bread can contain allergic reaction-causing spores as well as mycotoxins, dangerous compounds which can cause upset stomach or even death. Moldy bread should be carefully discarded and never eaten.

Mycotoxins

Mold growing on food or on the walls of damp houses may contain mycotoxins.

Mold growing on food or on the walls of damp houses may contain mycotoxins. Exposure to mycotoxins can cause breathing problems and fever; long-term exposure may cause chronic problems such as cancer, lupus and mental retardation.

Mild Effects

More mild effects include an upset stomach.

More mild effects of eating moldy bread include upset stomach, nosebleeds, headache, diarrhea and flu-like symptoms.

In the Lungs

Mold also can cause respiratory problems.

Mold also can cause respiratory problems or allergic reactions if the spores are inhaled.

Mold Growth

Mold on bread and other foods can survive in cold temperatures.

Mold on bread and other foods can survive in cold temperatures. It will grow roots deep into the bread, so cutting off visible mold or removing a few moldy pieces from a loaf will not protect you from toxins.

Disposing of Moldy Bread

Dispose of moldy bread carefully, outside the house if possible. Wear gloves and a face mask to avoid handling or inhaling spores, disinfect areas where the mold grew and throw out any food that may have been cross-contaminated.

References

About the Author

Mara Shannon is a writer whose work appears on various websites. Shannon also blogs about gaming and literature. Shannon holds a Bachelor of Arts in music with a focus on performance.

Related Articles

More Related