Rib subluxation is a condition in which a rib is off alignment. The resulting pain can be as benign as mild pain when taking a deep breath or as serious as pain around the heart and difficulty breathing. Therefore, rib subluxations can often go without diagnosis--or rather, they're mistakenly diagnosed as much more critical problems. Luckily, once a rib subluxation is correctly identified, treatment is simple and relatively quick.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
How It Happens
Rib subluxation can be caused by anything which stretches the rib or puts pressure on the sternum. Many activities can do this--some chiropractors say it can be something as innocuous as a strong sneeze.
Ribs have flexibility from the joints where they attach to the sternum, or breast bone. Between the ribs and the sternum is flexible cartilage and a joint, which can allow some movement. If the rib moves and doesn't flex back into place, the stuck rib is known as a rib subluxation.
- Rib subluxation can be caused by anything which stretches the rib or puts pressure on the sternum.
- Ribs have flexibility from the joints where they attach to the sternum, or breast bone.
How Does a Physical Therapist Fix a Stuck Rib?
Chiropractors address rib subluxation 1. In the simple and straightforward cases, a Chiropractor will have the patient lie facing down and will give a swift, strategic thrust to the back--which usually pushes the rib back into place.
In cases where the pain is acute near the sternum--cases which often feel like heart pain--the chiropractor will take a slightly different approach. Typically, she will run her hands up and down the length of the rib, applying pressure in small amounts as her hands travel. This treatment goes right up to the breastbone. The treatment is usually completed with the same type of prone back thrust as described above.
- Chiropractors address rib subluxation 1.
- In the simple and straightforward cases, a Chiropractor will have the patient lie facing down and will give a swift, strategic thrust to the back--which usually pushes the rib back into place.
Some patients with rib subluxation may turn to the stretching and movements of yoga for relief. It's a good idea to let a yoga instructor know about a rib subluxation before beginning a class. But often the natural poses and stretches of yoga can coax a rib back into place.
One particular treatment is to lay yoga blocks in a cross-like pattern with blocks or bolsters under the back directly below the sternum, and under each shoulder. The body then curves with the breastbone pointed up and head and shoulders being pulled down by gravity. This is essentially a supported backbend. After 10 to 30 minutes, this position can often push a rib back into place using a method is similar to the chiropractor's but gentler and slower.
- Some patients with rib subluxation may turn to the stretching and movements of yoga for relief.
- After 10 to 30 minutes, this position can often push a rib back into place using a method is similar to the chiropractor's but gentler and slower.
How Does a Physical Therapist Fix a Stuck Rib?
My Ribs Hurt With Bikram Yoga
Pilates for Piriformis and the Gluteus Medius
Subluxated Ribs From Back Squats
Iliopsoas Tendon Pain When Walking
When I Stretch My Rib Hurts
Causes of Pain Behind Breast
What Are the Causes of Pain, Numbness & Tingling in the Left Arm?
How to Tape Cracked Ribs
Gluteus Medius Muscle Strain
- Chiropractic Help
- Nabian MH, Zadegan SA, Zanjani LO, Mehrpour SR. Epidemiology of joint dislocations and ligamentous/tendinous injuries among 2,700 patients: Five-year trend of a tertiary center in Iran. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2017;5(6):426-34.
- Skelley NW, Mccormick JJ, Smith MV. In-game management of common joint dislocations. Sports Health. 2014;6(3):246-55. doi:10.1177/1941738113499721
- Munakomi S, Das JM. Cervical subluxation. In: StatPearls. Updated July 4, 2020.
- Hart J. Analysis and adjustment of vertebral subluxation as a separate and distinct identity for the chiropractic profession: A commentary. J Chiropr Humanit. 2016;23(1):46-52. doi:10.1016/j.echu.2016.09.002
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Chronic shoulder instability. Updated December 2013.
- Hasler CC, Studer D. Patella instability in children and adolescents. EFORT Open Rev. 2016;1(5):160-6. doi:10.1302/2058-5241.1.000018
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Patellar dislocation and instability in children (unstable kneecap).
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Elbow dislocation. Updated October 2017.
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Nursemaid’s elbow. Updated January 2019.
- Olson SA, Furman B, Guilak F. Joint injury and post-traumatic arthritis. HSS J. 2012;8(1):23-5. doi:10.1007/s11420-011-9247-7
- Forghani I. Updates in clinical and genetics aspects of hypermobile Ehlers Danlos syndrome. Balkan Med J. 2019;36(1):12-6. doi:10.4274/balkanmedj.2018.1113
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Exercise during pregnancy. Updated July 2019.
- Beltran LS, Bencardino JT, Beltran J. Imaging of sports ligamentous injuries of the elbow. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2013;17(5):455-65. doi:10.1055/s-0033-1360666
- Cleveland Clinic. Dislocation management and treatment. Updated July 8, 2017.
- Virtanen KJ, Savolainen V, Tulikoura I, et al. Surgical treatment of chronic acromioclavicular joint dislocation with autogenous tendon grafts. Springerplus. 2014;3:420. doi:10.1186/2193-1801-3-420
- Godin J, Sekiya JK. Systematic review of rehabilitation versus operative stabilization for the treatment of first-time anterior shoulder dislocations. Sports Health. 2010;2(2):156-65. doi:10.1177/1941738109359507
- Matthew AH, Davis DD, Fish MJ, Stitson D. Osteonecrosis (avascular necrosis). In: StatPearls. Updated September 1, 2020.
Eric Feigenbaum started his career in print journalism, becoming editor-in-chief of "The Daily" of the University of Washington during college and afterward working at two major newspapers. He later did many print and Web projects including re-brandings for major companies and catalog production.