Promethazine-DM is a combination of the medications promethazine and dextromethorphan 1. This clear, yellowish-colored, slightly pineapple smelling liquid is sensitive to light and must be dispensed in a light-resistant container with a childproof cap. Promethazine-DM syrup is prescribed to temporarily relieve upper respiratory symptoms, such as a cough, caused by allergies or the common cold.
One teaspoon of promethazine-DM contains the active ingredients of 15 mg of dextromorphan hydrobromide, 6.25 mg of promethazine hydrochloride and 7 percent alcohol.
Ingredients in Robitussin Cough & Congestion
Promethazine acts as an antihistamine. It also is effective as an anti-emetic, meaning it can decrease the feeling of nausea. One of the brand names of promethazine is Phenergan, which is commonly prescribed to prevent motion sickness.
Promethazine affects the body quickly, within 20 minutes of ingestion. The effects can last from 6 to 12 hours.
- Promethazine acts as an antihistamine.
- Promethazine affects the body quickly, within 20 minutes of ingestion.
Dextromorphan is an anti-tussive agent, meaning that it liquefies thick mucus. In this way it acts as a cough suppressant because as the mucus thins the cough reflex is decreased. Dextromorphan is absorbed into the body quickly, so it begins to act within 30 minutes. It can help limit coughs for up to 6 hours.
- Dextromorphan is an anti-tussive agent, meaning that it liquefies thick mucus.
Promethazine-DM syrup should only be prescribed to relieve the symptoms of upper respiratory infections. This includes symptoms of cough, runny nose, sneezing and itchy watery eyes caused by the common cold, flu, allergy or hay fever.cause:
- This includes symptoms of cough
- runny nose
- itchy watery eyes caused by the common cold
- allergy or hay fever
It is not effective in treating asthma.
Promethazine-DM syrup can induce several side effects, drowsiness being the most pronounced. Promethazine is often prescribed as a mild sedative. In addition, patients may feel dizziness, dry mouth or fatigue.
Because this medication can cause drowsiness, do not consume alcohol while taking promethzine-DM syrup as it can enhance this side effect. This medication should not be given to children younger than 2 years because it can cause respiratory depression. That is a condition in which breathing is so low that it does not support adequate gas exchange.
Do not drive or operate machinery while taking this medication. Do not take promethzine-DM if you are also taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), which is commonly prescribed as an antidepressant.
Patients with heart or liver conditions should consult a doctor before taking this medication. Pregnant women should consult their doctor as the effect of promethazine-DM on a fetus is not known.
- Because this medication can cause drowsiness, do not consume alcohol while taking promethzine-DM syrup as it can enhance this side effect.
- Pregnant women should consult their doctor as the effect of promethazine-DM on a fetus is not known.
Ingredients in Robitussin Cough & Congestion
Is Robitussin Okay to Take If I Have High Blood Pressure?
Ativan & B Complex Vitamins
What is the Difference Between Albuterol & Pulmicort?
Alternatives to Spiriva
Hydrochlorot Side Effects
How to Make Ipecac
Side Effects of Lyrica 75 mg
Ambroxol Hydrochloride Side Effects
- National Library of Medicine: Promethzine-DM
- U.S. National Library of Medicine. Compound summary: Promethazine. Updated February 15, 2020.
- Monczor F, Fernandez N. Current knowledge and perspectives on histamine H1 and H2 receptor pharmacology: Functional selectivity, receptor crosstalk, and repositioning of classic histaminergic ligands. Mol Pharmacol. 2016;90(5):640-8. doi:10.1124/mol.116.105981
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Promethazine hydrochloride injection, USP. Revised October 2009.
- Wilson MP, Pepper D, Currier GW, Holloman GH Jr, Feifel D. The psychopharmacology of agitation: consensus statement of the American Association for Emergency Psychiatry Project Beta Psychopharmacology Workgroup. West J Emerg Med. 2012;13(1):26-34. doi:10.5811/westjem.2011.9.6866
- Gelfand AA, Goadsby PJ. A neurologist's guide to acute migraine therapy in the emergency room. Neurohospitalist. 2012;2(2):51-9. doi:10.1177/1941874412439583
- Recto MT, Gabriel MT, Kulthanan K, et al. Selecting optimal second-generation antihistamines for allergic rhinitis and urticaria in Asia. Clin Mol Allergy. 2017;15:19. doi:10.1186/s12948-017-0074-3
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Phenergan (promethazine HCI) tablets and suppositories. Revised 2004.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Promethazine HCl and codeine phosphate oral solution. Revised January 2017.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Promethazine HCL plain oral solution. Revised May 2008.
- Cantisani C, Ricci S, Grieco T, et al. Topical promethazine side effects: our experience and review of the literature. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:151509. doi:10.1155/2013/151509
- Kar S, Krishnan A, Preetha K, Mohankar A. A review of antihistamines used during pregnancy. J Pharmacol Pharmacother. 2012;3(2):105-8. doi:10.4103/0976-500X.95503
- Bustos M, Venkataramanan R, Caritis S. Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy - What's new?. Auton Neurosci. 2017;202:62-72. doi:10.1016/j.autneu.2016.05.002
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. ACOG practice bulletin no. 189: Nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol. 2018;131(1):e15-e30. doi:10.1097/AOG.0000000000002456
Stephanie Chandler is a freelance writer whose master's degree in biomedical science and over 15 years experience in the scientific and pharmaceutical professions provide her with the knowledge to contribute to health topics. Chandler has been writing for corporations and small businesses since 1991. In addition to writing scientific papers and procedures, her articles are published on Overstock.com and other websites.