What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How to Lose Weight While Taking Prednisone
The prescription drug prednisone reduces inflammation and treats a variety of conditions, such as arthritis and polymyositis. Although effective, weight gain is a common side effect of long-term prednisone use due to an increased appetite and fluid retention. But fortunately, there are ways to maintain your weight while taking this medication.
Check packages for their sodium content 1. Sodium contributes to water weight, and processed or frozen foods typically have a higher salt content 1. Lower your salt intake to below 2,400 mg a day, and replace processed foods with fresh fruits and vegetables and low-sodium alternatives 1.
Lasix & Diet
Modify your carb intake. Carbohydrates affect your weight on prednisone by increasing water retention and food cravings. Stick with a low-carb diet to maintain your weight and eat no more than 20 to 30 grams of carbs a day.
Incorporate more potassium into your diet. Potassium keeps your body's water level balanced, and a low-potassium diet stimulates the storing of water. Consume potassium-rich foods, such as bananas, cereals and apricots, to reduce fluid retention and lose weight on prednisone.
How to Lose Belly Fat in 1 Week
Modify eating habits. Food cravings and an increased appetite contribute to weight gain. Maintain your weight by reducing or eliminating fatty and sugary foods from your diet. Eat four to six smaller meals a day to stay full longer and lower your caloric intake.
Drink plenty of water. Losing weight on prednisone often calls for flushing excess water and salt from your body. Keep your body hydrated and flushed by drinking at least eight glasses of water a day.
Exercise regularly. A fitness routine helps your body burn excess calories and fat, and exercise releases stored water through perspiration. Work out for 30 to 60 minutes three to five times a week.
Lasix & Diet
How to Lose Belly Fat in 1 Week
How to Reduce Excess Fat on Hip & Thighs Fast
How to Lose As Much Weight As Possible in 24 Hours
How to Avoid Weight Gain While Using Birth Control Pills
Furosemide & Potassium
How to Stop Lithium Weight Gain
Gatorade G2 Ingredients
Foods Known to Damage the Liver
How Do You Lose Weight While Taking Prometrium?
- Mayo Clinic - Sodium
- Lakhan SE, Kirchgessner A. Neuroinflammation in inflammatory bowel disease. J Neuroinflammation. 2010;7:37. doi:10.1186/1742-2094-7-37
- Lee I, Kaminski HJ, Mcpherson T, Feese M, Cutter G. Gender differences in prednisone adverse effects: Survey result from the MG registry. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2018;5(6):e507. doi:10.1212/NXI.0000000000000507
- Hunter RW, Ivy JR, Bailey MA. Glucocorticoids and renal Na+ transport: implications for hypertension and salt sensitivity. J Physiol (Lond). 2014;592(8):1731-44. doi:10.1113/jphysiol.2013.267609
- Farquhar WB, Edwards DG, Jurkovitz CT, Weintraub WS. Dietary sodium and health: more than just blood pressure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015;65(10):1042-50. doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2014.12.039
- Liu D, Ahmet A, Ward L, et al. A practical guide to the monitoring and management of the complications of systemic corticosteroid therapy. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2013;9(1):30. doi:10.1186/1710-1492-9-30
- Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center. "Treatments—Prednisone." Johns Hopkins Vasculitis Center, Division of Rheumatology 2015.
- Lupus Foundation of America. "Treatment for Lupus." Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. 25 Jul 2013.
- UCSF Medical Center. "ILD Nutrition Manual: Prednisone and Weight Gain." UCSFHealth.org. 2017.
Valencia Higuera is a freelance writer from Chesapeake, Virginia. She has contributed content to print publications and online publications such as Sidestep.com, AOL Travel, Work.com and ABC Loan Guide. Higuera primarily works as a personal finance, travel and medical writer. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in English/journalism from Old Dominion University.