30 October, 2009
How to Kill Mold in Metal Drinking Bottles
Fill a sink with warm, soapy water.
Scrub the metal drinking bottle on the inside and outside using the bottle brush. Wash the bottle in the sink, periodically using the flashlight as necessary to check the interior for mold spots. Pay particular attention to the crevices in the lid and the bottom. Use a rolled towel if you don't have a bottle brush.
Rinse the bottle with clean water. Repeat steps two and three if you spot any more mold.
Rinse the metal drinking bottle with vinegar, inside and out. This will help kill any remaining mold spores.
Pour out the vinegar in the sink, and rinse the bottle with water again.
Dry the outside of the bottle and set it upside down overnight to allow the water inside to air dry.
Metal drinking bottles are all the rage for fitness gurus and lovers of hydration. They promise to be free of pesky, leaky chemicals, while maintaining convenience and reusability. What they can't promise, however, is to be mold free. Mold still makes its menacing appearance when the bottle eludes washing for an extended period of time. Never fear, though, with a few simple steps you can get that metal drinking bottle clean and ready for its next trip to the gym.
- Dishwashers also kill any mold. However, the narrow tops of many metal drinking bottles make it difficult to get the inside clean.
- Do not use a metal brush on the bottle. It will scratch and damage the bottle.
- Boiling water will melt and warp any rubber pieces on the bottle.