How to Run With Knee Pain
A number of different injuries and types of pain can affect the knee of a runner. This is due to the shock absorbed by the knee joint when running--the knee, along with the back, are two locations on the body where injuries are common due to the stress placed on them by running. Even expensive running shoes can fail to prevent the pounding of your feet on a hard surface from traveling up your body and wearing away at your joints. While it is best to wait out this pain and give your knee time to heal, there are also several things you can do to keep running through your knee pain.
Stretch the muscles in your legs thoroughly, taking special care to stretch the tendons and ligaments around your knee joint. Many times, knee pain can result from inflammation or straining of this connective tissue. Good stretches include standing toe reaches, sitting toe reaches, the butterfly stretch, and side bends. Hold these stretches for about 10 seconds each in order to properly stretch your muscles, tendons and ligaments.
How to Care for a Bruised Knee
Apply a hot pack to your knee prior to running. This helps heat your knee tissue, making it more elastic. This can reduce the pain in your knee as well as the risk of exacerbating any existing problems.
Place a compression sleeve designed for knees over your knee while running. These sleeves often feature a hole through which the kneecap should be placed--this helps keep the patella in one place while you run. The rest of the sleeve helps hold your knee tissues in place, preventing injury.
How to Treat Shin Splints
Ice your knees down after running with an ice pack. This should be kept on the knee for 10 or 15 minutes to prevent swelling and inflammation. You may want to place a towel between the ice pack and your skin to prevent giving the skin a cold burn.
Alleviate further stress on your knees by running on soft surfaces, such as rubber tracks, grass and dirt trails.
How to Care for a Bruised Knee
How to Treat Shin Splints
How to Put on a Knee Brace Properly
3 Home Remedies for a Swelling Knee After Surgery
Ice or Heating Pads for Knee Pain
How Do I Care for Knee Wounds?
How to Recover from a Knee Bone Bruise Caused by Running
Massage Techniques for a Damaged ACL
Bruised Tailbone Remedies
What Are the Treatments for Hip Pain After a Fall?
- Cactus Canyon: Running Knee Pain
- Lespasio MJ, Piuzzi NS, Husni ME, Muschler GF, Guarino A, Mont MA. Knee Osteoarthritis: A Primer. Perm J. 2017;21:16-183. doi:10.7812/TPP/16-183
- Kiapour AM, Murray MM. Basic science of anterior cruciate ligament injury and repair. Bone Joint Res. 2014;3(2):20-31. doi:10.1302/2046-3758.32.2000241
- Doral MN, Bilge O, Huri G, Turhan E, Verdonk R. Modern treatment of meniscal tears. EFORT Open Rev. 2018;3(5):260-268. doi:10.1302/2058-5241.3.170067
- Reinking MF. CURRENT CONCEPTS IN THE TREATMENT OF PATELLAR TENDINOPATHY. Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2016;11(6):854-866.
- Petersen W, Rembitzki I, Liebau C. Patellofemoral pain in athletes. Open Access J Sports Med. 2017;8:143-154. doi:10.2147/OAJSM.S133406
- Frush TJ, Noyes FR. Baker's Cyst: Diagnostic and Surgical Considerations. Sports Health. 2015;7(4):359-65. doi:10.1177/1941738113520130
- Huang YC, Yeh WL. Endoscopic treatment of prepatellar bursitis. Int Orthop. 2011;35(3):355-8. doi:10.1007/s00264-010-1033-5
- Beals C, Flanigan D. A Review of Treatments for Iliotibial Band Syndrome in the Athletic Population. J Sports Med (Hindawi Publ Corp). 2013;2013:367169. doi:10.1155/2013/367169
- Tsai CH, Hsu CJ, Hung CH, Hsu HC. Primary traumatic patellar dislocation. J Orthop Surg Res. 2012;7:21. doi:10.1186/1749-799X-7-21
- Ragab G, Elshahaly M, Bardin T. Gout: An old disease in new perspective - A review. J Adv Res. 2017;8(5):495-511. doi:10.1016/j.jare.2017.04.008
- Lee PYF, Nixion A, Chandratreya A, Murray JM. Synovial Plica Syndrome of the Knee: A Commonly Overlooked Cause of Anterior Knee Pain. Surg J (N Y). 2017;3(1):e9-e16. doi:10.1055/s-0037-1598047
- Vaishya R, Azizi AT, Agarwal AK, Vijay V. Apophysitis of the Tibial Tuberosity (Osgood-Schlatter Disease): A Review. Cureus. 2016;8(9):e780. doi:10.7759/cureus.780
- Zanon G, Di vico G, Marullo M. Osteochondritis dissecans of the knee. Joints. 2014;2(1):29-36.
- Hindle P, Davidson E, Biant LC. Septic arthritis of the knee: the use and effect of antibiotics prior to diagnostic aspiration. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2012;94(5):351-5. doi:10.1308/003588412X13171221591015
- Gwinner C, Märdian S, Schwabe P, Schaser KD, Krapohl BD, Jung TM. Current concepts review: Fractures of the patella. GMS Interdiscip Plast Reconstr Surg DGPW. 2016;5:Doc01. doi:10.3205/iprs000080
- Voskuil R, Evenski AJ, Montgomery C, Emory CL. Malignant Bone Tumors of the Knee: How to Identify and Treat. J Knee Surg. 2019;32(4):305-314. doi:10.1055/s-0038-1675828
- Gupte C, St mart JP. The acute swollen knee: diagnosis and management. J R Soc Med. 2013;106(7):259-68. doi:10.1177/0141076813482831
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. Unstable Kneecap.
- Bhatia D, Bejarano T, Novo M. Current interventions in the management of knee osteoarthritis. Journal of Pharmacy & Bioallied Sciences 2013 Jan-Mar;5(1):30-38. doi:%2010.4103/0975-7406.106561
- Bronstein RD, Schaffer JC. Physical Examination of the Knee: Meniscus, Cartilage, and Patellofemoral Conditions. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017 May;25(5):365-374.
- Browne K, Kurtz CA. How to perform a comprehensive examination of the knee. JAAPA. 2009 Jun;22(6):20-25.
- Hergenroeder AC, Harvey BS. (2017). Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD): Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. Bachur RG, ed. UpToDate. Waltham, MA: UpToDate Inc.
Jonathan Croswell has spent more than five years writing and editing for a number of newspapers and online publications, including the "Omaha World-Herald" and "New York Newsday." Croswell received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English from the University of Nebraska and is currently pursuing a Master's of Health and Exercise Science at Portland State University.