How to Remove Warts With Banana Peels
Warts are common skin growths caused by HPV, or the human papillomavirus 1. The virus causes the cells on the outer layer of skin to grow rapidly, which produces the fleshy bumps known as warts. According to MayoClinic.com, warts usually disappear on their own without any treatment 1. Because they can cause embarrassment; however, many people choose to expedite the healing process by using over-the-counter and natural remedies. Banana peels, for example, are commonly used to help get rid of warts faster. The use of natural remedies is not supported by clinical research.
Cut a small square out of a ripe banana peel with a sharp knife, about 1 to 2 inches wide and around the same height, or at least large enough to cover the wart. In her book “Natural Healing Wisdom and Know-How,” Amy Rost recommends using a brown or black banana peel for treating warts, although a yellow peel will also work 2.
Can You Use Lemon Juice to Remove Warts?
Place the tea tree oil directly onto the wart, if using. The University of Maryland Medical Center suggests using tea tree oil, a potent anti-fungal and anti-viral substance, to maximize the benefit of the banana peel wart treatment. Omit if you don't have the oil on hand, however, and the treatment will remain effective.
Cover the area with the banana peel, placing the inner surface of the peel against the wart. Tape the peel in place using medical tape, leave on overnight, and remove in the morning. Repeat the treatment every night until the wart disappears, which may take as long as three weeks, depending on severity.
Use thuja tincture, a common natural remedy for fungal and viral skin growths, instead of tea tree oil if desired.
Leave the banana peel on the wart constantly, if desired, but change the dressing at least once every 24 hours. If you attend work or school, remove the peel during the day and reapply when you return home in the evening. At the very least, apply just before bedtime and remove first thing in the morning.
The wart will turn black as it dies. Eventually, it will disappear and your skin will return to normal.
Do not use a green banana peel. This wart treatment works best with ripe fruit, and green bananas have not yet ripened.
Can You Use Lemon Juice to Remove Warts?
Home Remedies for Removal of Plantar Warts
How to Remove Warts Using White Vinegar
Home Remedies to Remove Warts on Fingers
Essential Oils for Warts
How to Treat Discoloration & Brown Spots With Glycolic Acid
How to Remove Seed Warts
Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Flat Warts
How to Best Treat an Underground Pimple
The Health Benefits of Grapefruit Peel
- MayoClinic.com: Common Warts
- “Natural Healing Wisdom & Know How”; Amy Rost; 2009
- “The Herbal Drugstore”; Linda B. White, Steven Foster; 2000
- InformedHealth.org. Warts: Overview. Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). Updated November 7, 2019.
- InformedHealth.org. What are the treatment options for warts? Cologne, Germany: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (IQWiG). Updated November 7, 2019.
- Al Aboud AM, Nigam PK. Wart (Plantar, Verruca Vulgaris, Verrucae). Treasure Island, FL: StatPearls Publishing. Updated September 27, 2019.
- Liu J, Li H, Yang F, et al. Epidemiology and Clinical Profile of Cutaneous Warts in Chinese College Students: A Cross-Sectional and Follow-Up Study. Sci Rep. 2018;8(1):15450. doi:10.1038/s41598-018-33511-x
- Goldman RD. Duct tape for warts in children: Should nature take its course?. Can Fam Physician. 2019;65(5):337-338.
- Cockayne S, Hewitt C, Hicks K, et al. Cryotherapy versus salicylic acid for the treatment of plantar warts (verrucae): a randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2011;342:d3271. doi:10.1136/bmj.d3271
- Baker DA, Ferris DG, Martens MG, et al. Imiquimod 3.75% cream applied daily to treat anogenital warts: combined results from women in two randomized, placebo-controlled studies. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2011;2011:806105. doi:10.1155/2011/806105
- Gaston A, Garry RF. Topical vitamin A treatment of recalcitrant common warts. Virol J. 2012;9:21. doi:10.1186/1743-422X-9-21
- Walczuk I, Eertmans F, Rossel B, et al. Efficacy and safety of three cryotherapy devices for wart treatment: A randomized, controlled, investigator-blinded, comparative study. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2018;8(2):203-16. doi:10.1007/s13555-017-0210-5
- Dalimunthe DA, Siregar R, Tanjung C. Comparative clinical efficacy between electrodesiccation with curettage and application of 80% phenol solution in treatment of common warts. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(2):326-9. doi:10.3889/oamjms.2018.074
- Chauhan PS, Mahajan VK, Mehta KS, Rawat R, Sharma V. The efficacy and safety of intralesional immunotherapy with measles, mumps, rubella virus vaccine for the treatment of common warts in adults. Indian Dermatol Online J. 2019;10(1):19-26. doi:10.4103/idoj.IDOJ_142_18
- Nofal A, Elkot R, Nofal E, Mazen M. Combination therapy versus monotherapy in the treatment of recalcitrant warts: A clinical and immunological study. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018;2018;12848. doi:10.1111/jocd.12848
- Raghukumar S, Ravikumar BC, Vinay KN, et al. Intralesional vitamin D injection in the treatment of recalcitrant warts: A novel proposition. J Cutan Med Surg. 2017;21(4):320-4. doi:10.1177/1203475417704180
Willow Sidhe is a freelance writer living in the beautiful Hot Springs, AR. She is a certified aromatherapist with a background in herbalism. She has extensive experience gardening, with a specialty in indoor plants and herbs. Sidhe's work has been published on numerous Web sites, including Gardenguides.com.