How to Make a Heart Healthy After Adderall
As of 2011, Adderall is approved to treat ADHD and narcolepsy 1. It is considered safe for most people who do not also have heart disease or a heart defect, according to Drugs.com 1. In rare cases or in people with undiagnosed heart disease or heart defects, Adderall can increase blood pressure, speed up the heart rate and even cause heart attack and stroke 1. If you are among those who experienced an increase in blood pressure, heart rate or other cardiac side effects while using Adderall, a regimen of heart-healthy living can help get you back on track 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
See your doctor and have a full cardiac workup. Your heart's health may have changed since you were evaluated for your initial prescription of Adderall 1. Talk to your doctor about any risk factors for heart problems that have developed as a result of taking Adderall 1. It's important to seek your doctor's approval before starting any type of lifestyle-change program.
Adderall and Calcium
Transition to a heart-healthy diet. Heart-healthy diets help to manage cholesterol, high blood pressure, hardening of the arteries and other medical conditions. Eat healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats instead of saturated and trans fats. Choose plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, low-fat meat and dairy products and high-fiber whole grains. Limit alcohol consumption to one drink per day for women and two drinks per day for men to avoid increases in cholesterol or weight. Double-check any medications you are taking to ensure you can drink alcohol in moderation.
Exercise regularly to build fitness and endurance. The heart is a muscle and like other muscles, regular exercise keeps it strong and healthy. Exercise also helps lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol. The American College of Sports Medicine recommends 150 minutes of exercise per week, but your doctor may need to adjust the duration and intensity of your workouts due to your heart health 3.
Importance of Heart Health
Quit smoking. Smoking increases your risk of stroke or heart attack by increasing blood pressure and bad cholesterol that may have already been adversely affected by Adderall use 1. Smoking also contributes to hardening of the arteries. Quitting smoking can reduce heart attack risk in an otherwise healthy person by more than 50 percent, according to the Cleveland Clinic.
Seek help for substance abuse if you are having trouble quitting Adderall. Adderall is an addictive substance with a high potential for abuse. Follow your clinician's instructions for safely quitting the medication.
Follow up with your doctor regularly to evaluate your heart health especially if you begin taking other stimulant drugs to treat ADHD symptoms.
Adderall and Calcium
Importance of Heart Health
Long-term Effects of Phentermine Use
What Are the Causes of Angina in Early Teens?
Health Dangers of Phentermine
Normal Pulse Rate for Teenagers
Herbs That Interact With Amlodipine
Kaiser Weight Loss Plan
Heart Problems Caused by Phentermine
How Does Exercise Clear Plaque Out of Arteries?
- Drugs.com; Adderall
- National Institute on Drug Abuse: NIDA InfoFacts: Stimulant ADHD Medications - Methylphenidate and Amphetamines
- American College of Sports Medicine: Physical Activity and Public Health Guidelines
- Cleveland Clinic: Heart and Vascular Health & Prevention
- Felt BT, Biermann B, Christner JG, Kochhar P, Harrison RV. Diagnosis and management of ADHD in children. Am Fam Physician. 2014;90(7):456-64.
- National Institute of Mental Health. Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Updated September 2019.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Updated January 29, 2020.
- Wolraich ML, Hagan JF, Allan C, et al. Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis, evaluation, and treatment of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2019;144(4). doi:10.1542/peds.2019-2528
- Bhattarai J, Sumerall S. Current and future treatment options for narcolepsy: a Review. Sleep Sci. 2017;10(1):19-27. doi:10.5935/1984-0063.20170004
- Martinez-Raga J, Knecht C, Szerman N, Martinez MI. Risk of serious cardiovascular problems with medications for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. CNS Drugs. 2013;27(1):15-30. doi:10.1007/s40263-012-0019-9
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Label for Adderall.
- Clavenna A, Bonati M. Pediatric pharmacoepidemiology - safety and effectiveness of medicines for ADHD. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2017;16(12):1335-1345. doi:10.1080/14740338.2017.1389894
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Information about medications used to treat attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
A Jill-of-all-trades, Lillian Downey is a certified Responsible Sexuality Educator, certified clinical phlebotomist and a certified non-profit administrator. She's also written extensively on gardening and cooking. She also authors blogs on nail art blog and women's self esteem.