Coconut oil has the ability to condition and moisturize both skin and hair 1. Solid at room temperature, virgin coconut oil is made from fresh coconut meat and is not refined, making it best for use in beauty treatments. The versatility of coconut oil means it can be used in a host of homemade applications. Apply coconut oil to skin and hair to add a healthy glow to your beauty regimen 13.
Coco Hair Care
To give your hair lasting shine, try a hot coconut oil treatment. Melt enough coconut oil to cover the length of your tresses. Allow to cool enough to pour over dry, unwashed hair. Pin hair up and place under a shower cap for 30 minutes to overnight. Wash out coconut oil treatment and continue with routine styling 3.
- To give your hair lasting shine, try a hot coconut oil treatment.
Bye-Bye to Dry Skin
How to Hydrate the Scalp
Coconut oil is most easily applied directly to the skin. After showering, apply a thin layer of coconut oil wherever needed to keep skin moisturized and supple all day. Combine melted coconut oil with essential oils such as lavender, rose geranium or tea tree to boost skin-nourishing properties. For help lessening the appearance of dark under eye circles, take a pea-sized amount of solid coconut oil and dab onto the area lightly.
- Coconut oil is most easily applied directly to the skin.
- After showering, apply a thin layer of coconut oil wherever needed to keep skin moisturized and supple all day.
How to Hydrate the Scalp
How to Stop Hair From Graying
Home Remedies for Very Dry Hair
How to Get Rid of a Dry, Flaky Scalp
How to Treat Oily Hair & Itchy, Dry, Flaky Scalp
How to Restore Damaged Hair Follicles
How to Stimulate Hair Growth in Women
How to Best Treat Dry, Damaged and Thin Permed Hair
How to Restructure Brittle Hair
How to Use Dawn to Kill Lice
- Fitness Blender: How to Use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil for Healthy Skin and Hair
- Wellness Mama: 101 Uses for Coconut Oil
- The Glitter Guide: 10 Ways to Add Coconut Oil to Your Beauty Routine
- USDepartment of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Services. FoodDataCentral. Oil, coconut (SR Legacy. FDC ID: 171412). FDC Published:4/1/2019. Washington, DC: USDepartment of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Services 2020 https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/171412/nutrients
- American Heart Association. Saturated Fat. Dallas, Tex.: American Heart Association 2020 https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/fats/saturated-fats
- Sankararaman S, Sferra TJ. Are We Going Nuts on Coconut Oil?. Curr Nutr Rep. 2018;7(3):107-115. doi:10.1007/s13668-018-0230-5
- Walters, D. R., Walker, R. L., & Walker, K. C. Lauric Acid Exhibits Antifungal Activity Against Plant Pathogenic Fungi. Journal of Phytopathology, (2003) 151(4), 228–230. doi:10.1046/j.1439-0434.2003.00713.x
- Mandal MD, Mandal S. Coconut (Cocos nucifera L.: Arecaceae): In health promotion and disease prevention. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2011;4(3):241-247. doi:10.1016/S1995-7645(11)60078-3
- USDepartment of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Services. FoodDataCentral. Oil, coconut (SR Legacy. FDC ID: 171412). FDC Published:4/1/2019. Washington, DC: USDepartment of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Services 2020
- Ko DT, Alter DA, Guo H, et al. High-Density Lipoprotein Cholesterol and Cause-Specific Mortality in Individuals Without Previous Cardiovascular Conditions: The CANHEART Study. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;68(19):2073-2083. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2016.08.038
- Eyres L, Eyres MF, Chisholm A, Brown RC. Coconut oil consumption and cardiovascular risk factors in humans. Nutr Rev. 2016;74(4):267–280. doi:10.1093/nutrit/nuw002
- Vijayakumar M, Vasudevan DM, Sundaram KR, et al. A randomized study of coconut oil versus sunflower oil on cardiovascular risk factors in patients with stable coronary heart disease. Indian Heart J. 2016;68(4):498–506. doi:10.1016/j.ihj.2015.10.384
- Lockyer S. Stanner S. Coconut oil – a nutty idea? Nutrition Bulletin. 2016;41(1):42-54. doi:10.1111/nbu.12188
- American Heart Association. Saturated Fat. Dallas, Tex.: American Heart Association 2020
- Boateng L, Ansong R, Owusu WB, Steiner-Asiedu M. Coconut oil and palm oil's role in nutrition, health and national development: A review. Ghana Med J. 2016;50(3):189-196.
- Eyres L, Eyres MF, Chisholm A, Brown RC. Coconut oil consumption and cardiovascular risk factors in humans. Nutr Rev. 2016;74(4):267-280. doi:10.1093/nutrit/nuw002
- Anagnostou K. Coconut Allergy Revisited. Children (Basel). 2017;4(10):85. doi:10.3390/children4100085
- Babu AS, Veluswamy SK, Arena R, Guazzi M, Lavie CJ. Virgin coconut oil and its potential cardioprotective effects. Postgrad Med. 2014;126(7):76-83. doi: 10.3810/pgm.2014.11.2835
- De la rubia ortí JE, García-pardo MP, Drehmer E, et al. Improvement of Main Cognitive Functions in Patients with Alzheimer's Disease after Treatment with Coconut Oil Enriched Mediterranean Diet: A Pilot Study. J Alzheimers Dis. 2018;65(2):577-587. doi:10.3233/JAD-180184
Tara Thomas has been a writer and traveler since 1997. Her articles appear in various online publications. She also has experience authoring grant proposals for a Southern California marine science laboratory, which helped her develop a lifelong interest in environmentalism. Thomas is an event planner, has a Bachelor of Science in marine biology from California State University, Long Beach, and worked as a mortgage consultant since 1998.