What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
How Do You Get Rid of Large Bumps Under the Skin on the Face?
During acne flare-ups, you may sometimes notice that you develop large, painful bumps under the skin on your face. These bumps are called nodules and are a particularly severe form of acne 2. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, nodular acne, like regular acne, is likely due to the overproduction of oil that becomes trapped in the facial pores, stimulating bacterial growth that causes inflammation 3. In nodular acne, the blockage of the pore occurs very deeply within the skin, causing a particularly strong inflammatory reaction. Nodules can be extremely difficult to get rid of without professional help.
Speak to a dermatologist. Aggressive, expert treatment is needed to get rid of nodular acne. A dermatologist can prescribe oral antibiotics to kill acne-causing bacteria and reduce inflammation. If after a period of time this treatment is not effective, the doctor may prescribe isotretinoin, more commonly known by the brand name Accutane. MayoClinic.com notes that isotretinoin is highly effective but is only used in the most severe cases of acne, as it can produce serious side effects 2.
Huge Acne Cysts
Take your medicine regularly. For best and fastest results, follow your dermatologist’s instructions carefully. Never miss a treatment and wait 4 to 8 weeks to see results. If you are taking isotretinoin you must also see your dermatologist regularly as you will need to be closely monitored for physical and psychological effects.
Handle your skin gently. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends washing your face with a mild cleanser once or twice a day to get rid of excess oil 3. Avoid the temptation to wash your face more often or to scrub away the acne, as this may exacerbate the problem. It is essential that you never squeeze or pick at the nodule, as it greatly heightens the risk of permanent scarring.
Pregnant women or women trying to conceive must not take isotretinoin as it is highly likely to cause severe birth defects.
Other side effects of isotretinoin include dry eyes, lips, nose and mouth, sun sensitivity, poor night vision and increased levels of triglycerides and cholesterol in the blood. It has also been linked to depression and suicide, though an actual causal relationship has not been proven.
Huge Acne Cysts
How to Get Rid of Little Pimples All Over the Face
Acne & Prednisone
Is It Possible to Get Rid of Acne in Two Days?
How to Heal Acne Right Above the Eyebrows
How to Get Rid of Pimples Without Scarring
How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide on Acne Skin
Do Pimples on Your Head Cause Hair Loss?
Clogged Pores on Nose & Chin
Ampicillin for Acne
- Acne Org: Types of Acne
- Acne Net: Severe Acne Types
- American Academy of Dermatology: Common Acne
- Mayo Clinic: Acne
- Sutaria AH, Masood S, Schlessinger J. Acne Vulgaris. [Updated 2019 Dec 13]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK459173/
- Kraft J, Freiman A. Management of acne. CMAJ. 2011;183(7):E430-5. doi:10.1503/cmaj.090374
- Sutaria AH, Masood S, Schlessinger J. Acne Vulgaris. [Updated 2019 Dec 13]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2019 Jan-.
- American Academy of Dermatology. WHAT CAN CLEAR SEVERE ACNE?
- Cleveland Clinic. Rosacea (Adult Acne). Last reviewed October 10, 2019.
- American Academy of Dermatology. IS SPORTS EQUIPMENT CAUSING YOUR ACNE?
- American Academy of Dermatology. I HAVE ACNE! IS IT OKAY TO WEAR MAKEUP?
- Zaenglein AL, Pathy AL, Schlosser BJ, Alikhan A, Baldwin HE, et. al. "Guidelines of Care for the Management of Acne Vulgaris." Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology; 2016. 74(5):945-73.
Barbara Diggs is a freelance writer living in France. A former corporate lawyer, she has been writing professionally since 2006. She has been published in numerous print and online magazines, specializing in travel, parenting, history and law. Diggs is a graduate of Wesleyan University and Stanford Law School.