What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
**Earlobe cysts are those painful bumps that most people experience at some time in their lives.
** They are very similar to pimples in that they are pus-filled bumps growing under the skin. Depending on the severity of the cyst, there are many home remedies than can be used to cure this problem.
Using a heating pad or warm water can bring the pus and bacteria close to the surface, making it easier to remove.
Place a heating pad on the cyst if it is located on the exterior part of the ear 1. Use this method twice daily, 15 minutes each, for a week.
If the cyst is not accessible to a heating pad, use a warm washcloth. Place the washcloth over the affected area for about 10 to 15 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day. It may take 1 or 2 weeks of the warm washcloth method depending on the depth of the infection.
The pus inside of a sebaceous cyst is waxy and will melt into an oily fluid because of the heat. It can be reabsorbed into the body safely and will create less of a chance of blood poisoning.
- Using a heating pad or warm water can bring the pus and bacteria close to the surface, making it easier to remove.
- Place the washcloth over the affected area for about 10 to 15 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day.
How to Treat Acne Cysts
Tea tree oil and turmeric are great for decreasing swelling and drying up fluids in sebaceous cysts. First wash ear with soap and water and rinse thoroughly. Soak a cotton ball with tea tree oil as you would with astringent, and hold on the cyst for 5 minutes. This is best done after a shower, and can be done as often as needed until the cyst is dried up.
Pure ground turmeric is another solution to dry up earlobe cysts. Take a small pinch of turmeric powder and place on a dish. Then place about 3 to 5 droplets of water on the powder and mix until a paste is made.
Place this mixture on the cyst and keep it there for at least 20 minutes, once a day. Continue this regimen daily until the cyst is gone.
Tea tree oil can be found at any drugstore, health food store, or special nutrition shop. Turmeric powder is found in the spice section of the grocery store or at Indian food stores.
- Tea tree oil and turmeric are great for decreasing swelling and drying up fluids in sebaceous cysts.
- Soak a cotton ball with tea tree oil as you would with astringent, and hold on the cyst for 5 minutes.
Clay masks can be used overnight to draw up the pus inside an earlobe cyst. Most any clay mask found at the supermarket or drugstore can be used.
Place a dab of clay over the cyst before going to bed and let dry before lying on a pillow. This can be done every night until it draws the bacterial matter up to the surface.
If your earlobe cyst is small, accessible, and the pus is close to your skin's surface, it is okay to lance it with a few precautions. First, saturate a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and place it on the affected area for cleaning purposes. **Then light a match and sterilize a needle in the fire for 5 seconds.
** Place needle in the peroxide-soaked cotton ball so it cools down.
With freshly washed hands, lightly poke the cyst with the needle and gently squeeze out the liquid. Once fluids have been expunged, the cyst will heal naturally.
If your cyst is too large, you have had it for a long time, or it is inaccessible, you will need to seek medical help to safely lance the infected area. There is a greater risk of infection or blood poisoning with larger cysts and they should not be dealt with at home.
- Clay masks can be used overnight to draw up the pus inside an earlobe cyst.
- If your earlobe cyst is small, accessible, and the pus is close to your skin's surface, it is okay to lance it with a few precautions.
How to Treat Acne Cysts
Herbs to Reduce Inner Ear Fluid
How to Remove a Genital Cyst
How to Use Aquacel
What Are the Treatments for a Pilonidal Cyst?
How to Get Rid of Deep Hard Acne on Your Back
How to Clean Pitted Dirt From Enlarged Pores
How to Lance a Wound
How to Use Ginger Topically For Fat Burning
How to Use Turmeric for Staph Infections
- Benign ear cyst or tumor
- Wollina U, Langner D, Tchernev G, França K, Lotti T. Epidermoid Cysts - A Wide spectrum of clinical presentation and successful treatment by surgery: a retrospective 10-year analysis and literature review. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(1):28–30. doi:10.3889/oamjms.2018.027
- Hoang VT, Trinh CT, Nguyen CH, Chansomphou V, Chansomphou V, Tran TTT. Overview of epidermoid cyst. Eur J Radiol Open. 2019;6:291–301. doi:10.1016/j.ejro.2019.08.003
- Stone, Mary Seabury. "Cysts." Dermatology. 2nd. Ed. Jean Bolognia. New York: Mosby, 2008: 1681-83.
Mar Vin has been a freelance writer for over two and half years. Her work can be found on many websites such as hardwarestore.com, leisurepro.com, mhrusa.com, and more. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in nutritional sciences and dietetics from the University of Nebraska.