Soy milk is often used as a replacement for cow’s milk by health conscious people and among vegetarians 1. However, even though soy milk is plant based, it can still expire just like normal milk. If spoiled soy milk is ingested, it may cause definite symptoms. If symptoms persist for more than one day, consult with a health care provider on the best course of action.
One effect of drinking bad soy milk is a stomach ache. Drinking any spoiled product may cause stomach problems, and soy milk is no exception. Usually a stomach ache will appear within a few hours of drinking the spoiled milk. The best way to avoid drinking spoiled soy milk is to use a permanent marker to write down the date that you opened the milk. Five to 7 days later, throw the milk away.
- One effect of drinking bad soy milk is a stomach ache.
- Usually a stomach ache will appear within a few hours of drinking the spoiled milk.
Lactose & Itching
If you drink a lot of spoiled soy milk, it is possible that it may cause vomiting. Vomiting will usually show up 8 to 24 hours after drinking the spoiled soy milk, just like regular food poisoning. If vomiting occurs, do not try to suppress the vomiting because your body is cleaning out the toxins that the spoiled milk brought in.
- If you drink a lot of spoiled soy milk, it is possible that it may cause vomiting.
- Vomiting will usually show up 8 to 24 hours after drinking the spoiled soy milk, just like regular food poisoning.
If vomiting does not occur, or perhaps in conjunction with vomiting, diarrhea may occur. This is another way that the body tries to cleanse itself of the spoiled milk. Diarrhea may occur after a stomach ache or it may occur without any previous symptoms. If you have diarrhea, drink a lot of water to keep hydrated.
- If vomiting does not occur, or perhaps in conjunction with vomiting, diarrhea may occur.
- If you have diarrhea, drink a lot of water to keep hydrated.
What Are the Side Effects of Milk?
Cramps are a likely adverse effect from drinking bad soy milk. Spoiled soy milk may cause the stomach to contract, causing minor or major cramping. Cramping can sometimes be alleviated by drinking water. Cramps may be an indication of a worse symptom to come, such as diarrhea.
- Cramps are a likely adverse effect from drinking bad soy milk.
Occasionally, drinking spoiled soy milk may cause headaches 1. Headaches will usually occur if the drinker already has an allergy or sensitivity to soy products. If desired, you can take a pain reliever to help reduce the pain of the headache. Resting or sleeping may also help with pain.
- Occasionally, drinking spoiled soy milk may cause headaches 1.
- Resting or sleeping may also help with pain.
Bad soy milk may show a change in taste or texture. The milk may taste sour and have a stronger scent than normal. The texture of the milk may become thicker, with curds or lumps present. If you notice these symptoms in your soy milk, throw the milk out immediately.
- Bad soy milk may show a change in taste or texture.
- The texture of the milk may become thicker, with curds or lumps present.
Lactose & Itching
What Are the Side Effects of Milk?
Dairy Products & Sinus Drainage
Can Milk Cause Diarrhea?
Raw Goat's Milk for Weight Loss
Does Decaffeinated Coffee Cause Bloating?
Stomach Pains & Milk of Magnesium
How to Clean Baby Bottles That Have a Milk Odor
Milk & Flatulence
The Signs & Symptoms of Dairy Intolerance or Allergy
- Personal Health Zone: Soy Side Effects
- Milk, reduced fat (2%). FoodData Central. U.S. Department of Agriculture. Published April 1, 2019.
- Månsson HL. Fatty acids in bovine milk fat. Food Nutr Res. 2008;52. doi:10.3402/fnr.v52i0.1821
- Wadolowska L, Sobas K, Szczepanska JW, Slowinska MA, Czlapka-Matyasik M, Niedzwiedzka E. Dairy products, dietary calcium and bone health: possibility of prevention of osteoporosis in women: the Polish experience. Nutrients. 2013;5(7):2684-707. doi:10.3390/nu5072684
- Varenna M, Manara M, Galli L, Binelli L, Zucchi F, Sinigaglia L. The association between osteoporosis and hypertension: The role of a low dairy intake. Calcif Tissue Int. 2013;93(1):86-92. doi:10.1007/s00223-013-9731-9
- Cormick G, Ciapponi A, Cafferata ML, Belizán JM. Calcium supplementation for prevention of primary hypertension. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;(6):CD010037. doi:10.1002/14651858.CD010037.pub2
- National Cancer Institute. Calcium and cancer prevention. Updated May 4, 2009.
- Radavelli-Bagatini S, Zhu K, Lewis JR, Dhaliwal SS, Prince RL. Association of dairy intake with body composition and physical function in older community-dwelling women. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2013;113(12):1669-74. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2013.05.019
- Josse AR, Tang JE, Tarnopolsky MA, Phillips SM. Body composition and strength changes in women with milk and resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010;42(6):1122-30. doi:10.1249/MSS.0b013e3181c854f6
- Rautiainen S, Wang L, Lee IM, Manson JE, Buring JE, Sesso HD. Dairy consumption in association with weight change and risk of becoming overweight or obese in middle-aged and older women: a prospective cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2016;103(4):979-88. doi:10.3945/ajcn.115.118406
- Flom JD, Sicherer SH. Epidemiology of cow's milk allergy. Nutrients. 2019;11(5). doi:10.3390/nu11051051
Brenda Priddy has more than 10 years of crafting and design experience, as well as more than six years of professional writing experience. Her work appears in online publications such as Donna Rae at Home, Five Minutes for Going Green and Daily Mayo. Priddy also writes for Archstone Business Solutions and holds an Associate of Arts in English from McLennan Community College.