What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
If you suffer from unsightly discoloration on your nose, cheeks and forehead, there are a number of causes of red veins and dark spots on the face. But these signs of aging don't have to be permanent. Whether you are removing lesions formed by large blood vessels or brown spots, it's best to investigate the safest ways to remove these skin blemishes before you undergo any treatments to help turn back the hands of time.
Lasers can remove small broken blood vessels that cause the red veins in the face as well as brown age spots, freckles and other dark spots. Chicago plastic surgeon Dr. Jeffrey Melton reports that a small hand-held tool emits light beams over the affected areas that destroy the discolored cells on the face. The dark brown or red spots absorb the light and decompose, leaving healthy cells in place to grow back. There are few risks associated with laser treatments. Some people experience mild swelling or redness that usually dissipates within 24 hours. The treatment is administered with no anesthesia because it is painless.
- Lasers can remove small broken blood vessels that cause the red veins in the face as well as brown age spots, freckles and other dark spots.
- Some people experience mild swelling or redness that usually dissipates within 24 hours.
How to Get Rid of Broken Veins in Legs
Although sclerotherapy requires several visits to remove red spider veins on the face, doctors at the American Academy of Dermatology report that it has an 80 to 90 percent success rate, causing the discoloration to fade over the period of a couple months 1. A solution of sodium chloride is injected directly into the area, causing it to swell. As blood flows to heal the area, new skin cells replace the discolored cells. Usually, a mild sedative such as lidocaine is mixed in with the solution to numb the area. Side effects of the treatment include stinging at the site of the injection, muscle cramps or raised red bumps.
- Although sclerotherapy requires several visits to remove red spider veins on the face, doctors at the American Academy of Dermatology report that it has an 80 to 90 percent success rate, causing the discoloration to fade over the period of a couple months 1.
- Side effects of the treatment include stinging at the site of the injection, muscle cramps or raised red bumps.
Electrodesiccation primarily is used on dark spots, often to remove moles and other spots that are sometimes associated with melanoma. The procedure involves inserting an electrical impulse over the spot and killing the affected skin cells. There is a slim blade connected to the tool that is used to cut out the dried skin. A local anesthesia sometimes is used if the spot is large. Electrodesiccation is performed on an outpatient basis and patients are dismissed after about an hour or two. Insurance companies often cover the procedure when there is a threat of cancer present in the spots. Side effects include a scar that heals over time because the incision is so tiny. Patients often feel an itching sensation following the procedure.
- Electrodesiccation primarily is used on dark spots, often to remove moles and other spots that are sometimes associated with melanoma.
- Insurance companies often cover the procedure when there is a threat of cancer present in the spots.
How to Get Rid of Broken Veins in Legs
Complications of Endovenous Laser Treatment
Treatment of Scars on the Legs
What Are the Benefits of Kojic Acid?
How to Get Rid of Stitch Scars on the Face
How to Remove Age Spots & Brown Spots by Freezing
Brown Spots on the Eye
How to Freeze Skin Moles
What Are the Treatments for Reducing Facial Fat?
How to Get Rid of Hereditary Dark Eye Circles
- Cleveland Clinic: Sclerotherapy
- American Academy of Dermatology. Variety of Options Available to Treat Pigmentation Problems. February 5, 2013. https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/variety-of-options-available-to-treat-pigmentation-problems
- Tomecki J, Woodhouse G. Common Benign Growths. Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education. http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/dermatology/common-benign-growths/
- Scarcella G, Dethlefsen MW, Nielsen MCE. Treatment of solar lentigines using a combination of picosecond laser and biophotonic treatment. Clin Case Rep. 2018;6(9):1868-1870. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1749
- Scherer D, Kumar R. Genetics of pigmentation in skin cancer--a review. Mutat Res. 2010;705(2):141-53. doi:10.1016/j.mrrev.2010.06.002
- Bastiaens M, Hoefnagel J, Westendorp R, Vermeer BJ, Bouwes bavinck JN. Solar lentigines are strongly related to sun exposure in contrast to ephelides. Pigment Cell Res. 2004;17(3):225-9. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0749.2004.00131.x
- Davis EC, Callender VD. Postinflammatory hyperpigmentation: a review of the epidemiology, clinical features, and treatment options in skin of color. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2010;3(7):20-31.
- George AO, Shittu OB, Enwerem E, Wachtel M, Kuti O. The incidence of lower mid-trunk hyperpigmentation (linea nigra) is affected by sex hormone levels. J Natl Med Assoc. 2005;97(5):685-8.
- Al-saif FM, Baqays AA, Alsaif HF, Alhumidi AA. Erythromelanosis follicularis faciei et colli with reticulated hyperpigmentation of the extremities. Clin Case Rep. 2017;5(10):1576-1579. doi:10.1002/ccr3.1095
- Dereure O. Drug-induced skin pigmentation. Epidemiology, diagnosis and treatment. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2001;2(4):253-62. doi:10.2165/00128071-200102040-00006
- Ammoury A, Michaud S, Paul C, et al. Photodistribution of blue-gray hyperpigmentation after amiodarone treatment: molecular characterization of amiodarone in the skin. Arch Dermatol. 2008;144(1):92-6. doi:10.1001/archdermatol.2007.25
- Jain A, Gupta N. Multifocal Bullous Fixed Drug Erruption Due To Phenytoin: A Lesson Learned! J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9(12):OD04-5. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2015/15464.6908
- Mccarty M, Rosso JQ. Chronic administration of oral trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole for acne vulgaris. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2011;4(8):58-66.
- Massinde A, Ntubika S, Magoma M. Extensive hyperpigmentation during pregnancy: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2011;5:464. doi:10.1186/1752-1947-5-464
- Sarkar SB, Sarkar S, Ghosh S, Bandyopadhyay S. Addison's disease. Contemp Clin Dent. 2012;3(4):484-6. doi:10.4103/0976-237X.107450
- Lause M, Kamboj A, Fernandez faith E. Dermatologic manifestations of endocrine disorders. Transl Pediatr. 2017;6(4):300-312. doi:10.21037/tp.2017.09.08
- Enguita FJ, Leitão AL. Hydroquinone: environmental pollution, toxicity, and microbial answers. Biomed Res Int. 2013;2013:542168. doi:10.1155/2013/542168
- Arora P, Sarkar R, Garg VK, Arya L. Lasers for treatment of melasma and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2012;5(2):93-103. doi:10.4103/0974-2077.99436
- Prohaska J, Badri T. Cryotherapy. StatPearls Publishing. 2019.
- Schalka S. New data on hyperpigmentation disorders. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2017;31 Suppl 5:18-21. doi:10.1111/jdv.14411
- American Academy of Dermatology. Variety of Options Available to Treat Pigmentation Problems. February 5, 2013.
- Tomecki J, Woodhouse G. Common Benign Growths. Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education.
Linda Ray is an award-winning journalist with more than 20 years reporting experience. She's covered business for newspapers and magazines, including the "Greenville News," "Success Magazine" and "American City Business Journals." Ray holds a journalism degree and teaches writing, career development and an FDIC course called "Money Smart."