Looking to Get in Shape or Lose Weight? Try our BMI and Weight Loss Calculator!

Is it Dangerous to Eat Moldy Yogurt?

By Scott Levin ; Updated July 27, 2017

You peel back the lid on your yogurt cup to find a layer of mold resting on top. Unfortunately, the yogurt's next destination should be the garbage can. Because of harmful microbes that may reside throughout the product, the best move for your health is to discard the moldy yogurt.

Health Problems

Aside from ruining the taste of yogurt, mold can cause health problems if ingested. Certain molds may lead to allergic reactions or respiratory complications. Other molds may lead to the creation of poisonous mycotoxins. These substances can lead to an upset stomach and make you sick.

Identifying Moldy Yogurt

Notice the "Best By" date on your yogurt label, as food can begin growing mold before it is visible. Even in refrigerated areas, moist foods like yogurt can develop mold. Simply scraping off the mold does not solve the problem. In hard cheeses, mold and bacteria often do not penetrate inside the cheese, allowing you to trim off the moldy area. But with a soft food like yogurt, mold and bacteria can accumulate throughout. Not all the harmful bacteria will be visible.

Cite this Article A tool to create a citation to reference this article Cite this Article

Related Articles

More Related