If you are experiencing pain in the lymph nodes and jaw, it is important to consider any other symptoms you may be experiencing to determine the cause of the pain 1. Unfortunately, a variety of conditions may cause a painful jaw and lymph nodes 1.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
The symptoms of TMJ include pain in the jaw and around the ear, along with difficulty chewing. Serious cases of TMJ may also cause a clicking sound when the jaw is opened or closed, along with painful lymph nodes in the jaw area 1.
Tooth Pain After Eating
Dry socket occasionally occurs after a tooth extraction in which bones and nerves become exposed. The condition is characterized by intense pain in the mouth and jaw, along with swollen lymph nodes around the neck 12.
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the nasal passages and sinuses. It is characterized by a headache and pressure in the eye, nose, cheek and jaw area. However, if left untreated, the lymph nodes may also become swollen and painful 12.
Causes of Jaw and Tooth Pain
Mononucleosis, or “mono,” is a viral infection that often affects children and young adults 3. The infection is characterized by swollen lymph nodes, high fever, intense pain in the throat and jaw, weakness and fatigue 12.
To ease the pain, avoid significant movements of the jaw, such as excessive talking and chewing. Consume soft foods that do not require much jaw movement. Massaging the jaw and applying a warm compress to the painful lymph nodes may ease the pain and tenderness 1.
- To ease the pain, avoid significant movements of the jaw, such as excessive talking and chewing.
Tooth Pain After Eating
Causes of Jaw and Tooth Pain
TMJ & Allergies
Foods That Help Your Braces Not to Hurt
Foods to Avoid With Esophagitis
TMJ Exercises for Slipped Disc
Causes of an Earache and Sore Throat
Tooth Pain & Sinus Congestion
- Jaw Pain and Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Swollen Jaw Lymph Nodes: Causes and Home Remedies
- Padera TP, Meijer EF, Munn LL. The Lymphatic System in Disease Processes and Cancer Progression. Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2016;18:125-58. doi:10.1146/annurev-bioeng-112315-031200
- Lymph Nodes. National Cancer Institute.
- Cameron MH, Monroe L. Physical Rehabilitation for the Physical Therapist Assistant. Saunders. 2014.
- Fein MR, Egeblad M. Caught in the act: revealing the metastatic process by live imaging. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6(3):580-93. doi:10.1242/dmm.009282
- Miller LR. Lymphatic function and the immune response to microbial or viral infection. Lymphat Res Biol. 2013;11(3):116. doi:10.1089/lrb.2013.0010
- Swollen Lymph Nodes. Cleveland Clinic. 2019.
- Nasirian H, Tarvijeslami S, Matini E, Bayesh S, Omaraee Y. A clinical decision rule for streptococcal pharyngitis management: An update. J Lab Physicians. 2017;9(2):116-120. doi:10.4103/0974-2727.199635
- Bilal JA. Prevalence and Clinical Characteristics of Primary Epstein-Barr Virus Infection Among Children Presented with Cervical Lymphadenopathy. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015;9(7):SC08-10. doi:10.7860/JCDR/2015/13768.6265
- Swollen Lymph Nodes. Mount Sinai.
- Lymph Node Surgery for Breast Cancer. American Cancer Society. 2019.
- Chatterjee A, Serniak N, Czerniecki BJ. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: a work in progress. Cancer J. 2015;21(1):7-10. doi:10.1097/PPO.0000000000000090
- Scott S, Kitt B, Derenge D. Swollen lymph nodes · patient is otherwise "healthy" · Dx?. J Fam Pract. 2016;65(3):195-7.
- Fuso L, Varone F, Magnini D, Calvello M, Lo greco E, Richeldi L. Ultrasonography of the Mediastinum: Techniques, Current Practice, and Future Directions. Respir Care. 2018;63(11):1421-1438. doi:10.4187/respcare.06047
- Promer K, Pillay A, Chi KH, et al. A case of inguinal lymphogranuloma venereum imitating malignancy on CT imaging. Radiol Case Rep. 2019;14(5):581-583. doi:10.1016/j.radcr.2019.02.012
- Hale GR, Teplitsky S. Lymph node imaging in testicular cancer. Transl Androl Urol. 2018; 7(5): 864–874.
- Helbling R, Conficconi E, Wyttenbach M, et al. Acute Nonspecific Mesenteric Lymphadenitis: More Than "No Need for Surgery". Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:9784565. doi:10.1155/2017/9784565
- Mao, Y., Hedgire, S., Prapruttam, D. et al. Imaging of Pelvic Lymph Nodes. Curr Radiol Rep. 2014;2(70). doi:10.1007/s40134-014-0070-z
- Mohseni S, Shojaiefard A, Khorgami Z, Alinejad S, Ghorbani A, Ghafouri A. Peripheral lymphadenopathy: approach and diagnostic tools. Iran J Med Sci. 2014;39(2 Suppl):158-70.
- Lymphadenitis. Johns Hopkins Medicine.
- Mazur-melewska K, Mania A, Kemnitz P, Figlerowicz M, Służewski W. Cat-scratch disease: a wide spectrum of clinical pictures. Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2015;32(3):216-20. doi:10.5114/pdia.2014.44014
- What Is Breast Cancer?. American Cancer Society. 2019.
- Benaglio F, Vitolo B, Scarabelli M, et al. The draining lymph node in rheumatoid arthritis: current concepts and research perspectives. Biomed Res Int. 2015;2015:420251. doi:10.1155/2015/420251
- Kasper, Dennis L.., Anthony S. Fauci, and Stephen L.. Hauser. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. New York: Mc Graw Hill education, 2015. Print.
- Kumar, Vinay, Abul K. Abbas, and Jon C. Aster. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. Philadelphia: Elsevier-Saunders, 2015. Print.
Krista Sheehan is a registered nurse and professional writer. She works in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) and her previous nursing experience includes geriatrics, pulmonary disorders and home health care. Her professional writing works focus mainly on the subjects of physical health, fitness, nutrition and positive lifestyle changes.