Burning pain on the outside edge of the foot can be caused by improper footwear, infection or a serious medical condition 3. Diabetes, peripheral neuropathy and obesity are all factors that can affect the foot, causing pain and burning sensations 13.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Burning feet is a common side effect of diabetes, due to nerve damage and poor blood circulation. If you are diabetic, have your feet checked regularly, as cuts and sores can go undetected and cause significant damage to the foot.
How to Cure Tingling Pain in the Foot
Peripheral neuropathy is a condition that causes numbness, burning and pain in the hands and feet 1. Individuals with metabolic problems or who have sustained injury to the foot develop the condition, according to the Mayo Clinic 2.
Obesity can put excessive strain on the joints and feet, causing a host of aches and pains. Burning pain on the foot may be caused by mechanical overload, due to obesity and too much stress on the foot 3.
Athlete's foot is a fungal infection often associated with athletes, due to their constant foot perspiration, which can lead to fungal infections of the foot 2. The most common symptoms of athlete's foot include itching, stinging and burning.
Improper footwear can cause discomfort as well as callouses and other irritations of the foot. Choose function before fashion when selecting footwear to avoid pain and burning.
Treatments for burning pain on the outside edge of the foot are based upon the condition 3. Knowing the cause of the foot pain is the first step to eliminating the problem. Over-the-counter pain medications and cooling creams may provide temporary relief. Anti-fungal sprays, powders and ointments are helpful for relieving athlete's foot.
- Treatments for burning pain on the outside edge of the foot are based upon the condition 3.
- Anti-fungal sprays, powders and ointments are helpful for relieving athlete's foot.
How to Cure Tingling Pain in the Foot
How to Get Rid of Dead Skin on Feet
Reasons for Severely Cracked Heels
Foot Exercises for Plantar Fasciitis
Foot Pain in the Heel From Playing Soccer
Why You Have Heel Pain After Playing Basketball
Numbness in Toes When Exercising
Foot Pain When First Walking in the Morning
Foot Calluses & Duct Tape
- The Mayo Clinic / Peripheral Neuropathy
- The Mayo Clinic/ Athletes Foot
- ePodiatry.com/ Burning Foot Pain
- Friend R, Bennett RM. Distinguishing fibromyalgia from rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus in clinical questionnaires: an analysis of the revised Fibromyalgia Impact Questionnaire (FIQR) and its variant, the Symptom Impact Questionnaire (SIQR), along with pain locations. Arthritis Res Ther. 2011;13(2):R58. doi:10.1186/ar3311
- Liptan GL. Fascia: a missing link in our understanding of the pathology of fibromyalgia. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010;14(1):3-12. doi:10.1016/j.jbmt.2009.08.003
- Tornero-caballero MC, Salom-moreno J, Cigarán-méndez M, Morales-cabezas M, Madeleine P, Fernández-de-las-peñas C. Muscle trigger points and pressure pain sensitivity maps of the feet in women with fibromyalgia syndrome. Pain Med. 2016;17(10):1923-1932. doi:10.1093/pm/pnw090
- Silva AP, Chagas DD, Cavaliere ML, Pinto S, De oliveira barbosa JS, Batista LA. Kinematic analysis of subtalar eversion during gait in women with fibromyalgia. Foot (Edinb). 2016;28:42-46. doi:10.1016/j.foot.2016.09.010
- Padín galea JM, Fernández-aceñero MJ, De la fuente JLM. Characteristics of patients with fibromyalgia. Foot (Edinb). 2017;32:27-29. doi:10.1016/j.foot.2017.04.001
- Ferrari R. A cohort-controlled trial of the addition of customized foot orthotics to standard care in fibromyalgia. Clin Rheumatol. 2012;31(7):1041-5. doi:10.1007/s10067-012-1966-8
A health-care professional for more than 10 years, Rica Lewis has obtained numerous certifications in the industry. In 2006 she began channeling her knowledge into health-related articles for print and online publications. Her work has appeared in "Metroparent Magazine," "Anew Heart Healthcare Magazine" and community newspapers. Lewis earned a diploma from LongRidge Writers Institute.