Benadryl is a popular over-the-counter medication that prevents allergy symptoms 1. It is very effective at preventing cough, runny nose and sneezing symptoms. On the other hand, it also has many side effects, including aggravating the symptoms of an enlarged prostate.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
The prostate gland is just under the bladder and wraps around the urethra as it enters the bladder. Even though it is closely linked to the urinary system, the prostate gland is also a part of the reproductive system. Its function is to release prostatic fluid containing nutrients during ejaculation. These nutrients give the sperm a better chance at survival inside the vagina, and therefore a better chance of completing fertilization.
- The prostate gland is just under the bladder and wraps around the urethra as it enters the bladder.
- These nutrients give the sperm a better chance at survival inside the vagina, and therefore a better chance of completing fertilization.
Bump on the Inside of the Nose
Benadryl is a brand name of the drug diphenhydramine HCL 12. It belongs to a group of drugs called antihistamines that block the effects of a substance called histamine, which is released when your body is exposed to allergens. When histamine is blocked, allergy symptoms are prevented 1. It comes in many forms but is usually taken orally. Some common side effects include drowsiness, dry eyes and mouth or dizziness.
- Benadryl is a brand name of the drug diphenhydramine HCL 1.
- Some common side effects include drowsiness, dry eyes and mouth or dizziness.
Effects on Prostate
Benadryl can also adversely affect your prostate 1. One of the side effects of Benadryl is that it can cause interruption in your pelvic muscles 1. Your prostate is surrounded by pelvic muscles that allow it to contract and release during ejaculation. Benadryl can make these muscles contract more often than release 1. Most people will not notice it at all. However, if you have an enlarged prostate due to infection, abnormal growth or normal aging, this medication can amplify the symptoms you are already experiencing.
Enlarged Prostate Problems
The Side Effects of Microval
Infection can make the prostate swell. Cancer can cause abnormal growth. Most men also experience benign prostate hyperplasia, or a gradual prostate enlargement, as they age. Whatever the reason your prostate has become enlarged, you may experience symptoms like difficulty urinating or maintaining a strong urine stream. You may also notice burning or pain during ejaculation or urination. Antihistamines worsen these symptoms and can lead to the inability to urinate at all or even more pain.
- Infection can make the prostate swell.
- Whatever the reason your prostate has become enlarged, you may experience symptoms like difficulty urinating or maintaining a strong urine stream.
Men with enlarged prostates should not take Benadryl without consulting their health care provider 1. If your enlarged prostate is caused by infection or unusual growth, your health care provider will treat these conditions first. He will let you know when it safe to use Benadryl again 1. If you have benign prostate hyperplasia, your condition is irreversible. Depending on how severe your condition is, your health care provider will tell you whether it is safe for you to take Benadryl 1. Always follow the directions of your health care provider to avoid complications.
Bump on the Inside of the Nose
The Side Effects of Microval
Antihistamines and Hypertension
How to Get Rid of an Allergy Cough
A Pollen Allergy: Symptoms of a Sore Throat
What Are the Causes of Painful Ejaculation?
Allergy Symptoms of Mold & Mildew
Swollen Throat Allergy
Can Allergies Cause Swollen Lymph Nodes?
Causes of White Blood Cells in Urine
- Benadryl Allergy
- Lee CL, Kuo HC. Pathophysiology of benign prostate enlargement and lower urinary tract symptoms: Current concepts. Ci Ji Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2017;29(2):79–83. doi:10.4103/tcmj.tcmj_20_17
- Grozescu T, Popa F. Prostate cancer between prognosis and adequate/proper therapy. J Med Life. 2017;10(1):5–12. PMID: 28255369
- Benign enlarged prostate: Overview. InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Published January 25, 2018.
- Weiss JP. Nocturia: focus on etiology and consequences. Rev Urol. 2012;14(3-4):48–55. PMID: 23526404
- Serlin DC, Heidelbaugh JJ, Stoffel JT. Urinary Retention in Adults: Evaluation and Initial Management. Am Fam Physician. 2018;98(8):496-503. PMID: 30277739
- Rowe TA, Juthani-Mehta M. Urinary tract infection in older adults. Aging health. 2013;9(5):10.2217/ahe.13.38. doi:10.2217/ahe.13.38
- Rodgers M, Nixon J, Hempel S, et al. Diagnostic tests and algorithms used in the investigation of haematuria: systematic reviews and economic evaluation. Health Technol Assess. 2006;10(18):iii-iv, xi-259. doi:10.3310/hta10180
- Liu TT, Thomas S, Mclean DT, et al. Prostate enlargement and altered urinary function are part of the aging process. Aging (Albany NY). 2019;11(9):2653–2669. doi:10.18632/aging.101938
- Roehrborn CG. Benign prostatic hyperplasia: an overview. Rev Urol. 2005;7 Suppl 9(Suppl 9):S3–S14. PMID: 16985902
- Prostate Enlargement (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia). National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Published September 1, 2014.
- Pontari MA, Ruggieri MR. Mechanisms in prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. J Urol. 2004;172(3):839–845. doi:10.1097/01.ju.0000136002.76898.04
- Litwin MS, Tan HJ. The Diagnosis and Treatment of Prostate Cancer: A Review. JAMA. 2017;317(24):2532-2542. doi:10.1001/jama.2017.7248
- Mandaliya H, Sung J, Hill J, Samali R, George M. Prostate Cancer: Cases of Rare Presentation and Rare Metastasis. Case Rep Oncol. 2015;8(3):526–529. Published 2015 Nov 26. doi:10.1159/000442045
- Palmerola R, Smith P, Elliot V, et al. The digital rectal examination (DRE) remains important - outcomes from a contemporary cohort of men undergoing an initial 12-18 core prostate needle biopsy. Can J Urol. 2012;19(6):6542-7. PMID: 23228289
- Chang RT, Kirby R, Challacombe BJ. Is there a link between BPH and prostate cancer?. Practitioner. 2012;256(1750):13-6, 2. PMID: 22792684
- De Angelis G, Rittenhouse HG, Mikolajczyk SD, Blair Shamel L, Semjonow A. Twenty Years of PSA: From Prostate Antigen to Tumor Marker. Rev Urol. 2007;9(3):113–123. PMID: 17934568
- Prostate cancer: Overview. InformedHealth.org [Internet]. Published February 22, 2018.
- Yu Y, Sikorski P, Bowman-Gholston C, Cacciabeve N, Nelson KE, Pieper R. Diagnosing inflammation and infection in the urinary system via proteomics. J Transl Med. 2015;13:111. Published 2015 Apr 8. doi:10.1186/s12967-015-0475-3
- James LJ, Wong G, Craig JC, et al. Men's perspectives of prostate cancer screening: A systematic review of qualitative studies. PLoS One. 2017;12(11):e0188258. Published 2017 Nov 28. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0188258
- Feneley RC, Hopley IB, Wells PN. Urinary catheters: history, current status, adverse events and research agenda [published correction appears in J Med Eng Technol. 2016;40(2):59]. J Med Eng Technol. 2015;39(8):459–470. doi:10.3109/03091902.2015.1085600
- Colli E, Artibani W, Goka J, Parazzini F, Wein AJ. Are urodynamic tests useful tools for the initial conservative management of non-neurogenic urinary incontinence? A review of the literature. Eur Urol. 2003;43(1):63-9. doi:10.1016/s0302-2838(02)00494-3
- May M, Brookman-amissah S, Hoschke B, Gilfrich C, Braun KP, Kendel F. Post-void residual urine as a predictor of urinary tract infection--is there a cutoff value in asymptomatic men?. J Urol. 2009;181(6):2540-4. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2009.01.103
- Turkbey B, Pinto PA, Choyke PL. Imaging techniques for prostate cancer: implications for focal therapy. Nat Rev Urol. 2009;6(4):191–203. doi:10.1038/nrurol.2009.27
- Demaagd GA, Davenport TC. Management of urinary incontinence. P T. 2012;37(6):345–361H. PMID: 22876096
- Hall SA, Yang M, Gates MA, Steers WD, Tennstedt SL, McKinlay JB. Associations of commonly used medications with urinary incontinence in a community based sample. J Urol. 2012;188(1):183–189. doi:10.1016/j.juro.2012.02.2575
- Nickel JC. Comparison of trials with finasteride and dutasteride. Rev Urol. 2004;6 Suppl 9(Suppl 9):S31–S39. PMID: 16985923
- Chapple CR. A Comparison of Varying alpha-Blockers and Other Pharmacotherapy Options for Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. Rev Urol. 2005;7 Suppl 4(Suppl 4):S22–S30. PMID: 16986051
- Lipsky BA, Byren I, Hoey CT. Treatment of bacterial prostatitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2010;50(12):1641-52. doi:10.1086/652861
- Welliver C, Helo S, McVary KT. Technique considerations and complication management in transurethral resection of the prostate and photoselective vaporization of the prostate. Transl Androl Urol. 2017;6(4):695–703. doi:10.21037/tau.2017.07.30
- Li M, Qiu J, Hou Q, et al. Endoscopic enucleation versus open prostatectomy for treating large benign prostatic hyperplasia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. PLoS One. 2015;10(3):e0121265. Published 2015 Mar 31. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0121265
- Lorenzo G, Hughes TJR, Dominguez-Frojan P, Reali A, Gomez H. Computer simulations suggest that prostate enlargement due to benign prostatic hyperplasia mechanically impedes prostate cancer growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019 Jan 22;116(4):1152-1161. Published Jan 2019. doi:10.1073/pnas.1815735116
Michaele Curtis began writing professionally in 2001. As a freelance writer for the Centers for Disease Control, Nationwide Insurance and AT&T Interactive, her work has appeared in "Insurance Today," "Mobiles and PDAs" and "Curve Magazine." Curtis holds a Bachelor of Arts in communication from Louisiana State University.