When looking for inexpensive products to use on your face, you don’t have to go further than your kitchen pantry. Two common kitchen staples -- baking soda and sugar -- can be added to your daily skin care routine and can often replace expensive store-bought products 2. The best part of using either of these two products on your face is that they are all-natural, so you don’t have to worry about putting harsh chemicals on your skin. If you know the differences between the effects of baking soda and sugar, you can make the right choice for your skin 2.
The scientific name for baking soda is sodium bicarbonate 2. It’s all-natural and is used to neutralize pH, meaning it balances acidity and alkalinity. Baking soda is commonly used in cooking, but it can also be used as part of your beauty regimen 2. It’s somewhat abrasive, which works well for exfoliating the skin and removing dead skin cells. According to the book “500 Uses for Baking Soda,” this white, powdery substance can also be used to treat acne by gently cleaning impurities from the skin 23.
How to Exfoliate Your Nose
Like baking soda, sugar is abrasive, although slightly more so 2. It can be used to exfoliate the face and slough off dry skin. Sugar is also a natural humectant, so it draws natural moisture from the environment and helps your skin absorb it. Using sugar on your face will get rid of dry skin while still keeping it moisturized. Additionally, sugar is high in alpha hydroxy acid, which helps promote the growth of new cells, so it’s ideal as an anti-aging product for the face. You can use brown sugar or white sugar on your skin and reap the same benefits. Brown sugar isn’t quite as abrasive as white sugar, so if you have sensitive skin, opt for brown.
- Like baking soda, sugar is abrasive, although slightly more so 2.
- Additionally, sugar is high in alpha hydroxy acid, which helps promote the growth of new cells, so it’s ideal as an anti-aging product for the face.
How to Use on the Face
Baking soda can be used on your face to exfoliate by mixing three parts baking soda with one part warm water 2. Stir the mixture to form a paste, then rub it onto your freshly cleansed skin using a circular motion. You can make the paste with olive oil instead of water if you want added moisture. Rinse with warm water to remove paste and pat your skin dry. To use baking soda as an acne treatment, make a thick paste of baking soda and water, then apply it directly to the acne spots 2. Leave it on your face for five minutes, then rinse it off. Use a baking soda acne paste about once a week 2.
To use sugar on your face, mix a tablespoon of brown or white sugar with a few drops of olive oil. You can also add essential oil to give the scrub a nice scent. Another option is to add a few drops of honey and lemon juice to the sugar to clarify and add moisture to the skin. Once you’ve made the scrub, rub it gently onto your face using a circular motion, then rinse with warm water.
- Baking soda can be used on your face to exfoliate by mixing three parts baking soda with one part warm water 2.
- Another option is to add a few drops of honey and lemon juice to the sugar to clarify and add moisture to the skin.
How to Use Glycerin on the Face
Both baking soda and sugar are abrasive, although they differ in degrees of abrasiveness 2. It’s important to pay attention to your skin for clues regarding whether the scrub is too harsh. If you begin to develop redness or irritation, stop using the sugar or baking soda on your face or cut back on the frequency of use 2. In general, you should use an exfoliating scrub about two times per week. Always avoid the eye area when exfoliating.
How to Exfoliate Your Nose
How to Use Glycerin on the Face
Can Retinol Creams Be Put on the Neck?
How to Get Rid of Freckles With Vitamin C
How to Make Face Cream Using Rosehip Oil
How to Get Rid of Dry Skin on Lips
How to Remove Hyperpigmentation on Your Face
How to Care for Oily Skin That Is Sensitive
How to Get Rid of Permanent Blackheads
How to Reduce Black Spots on the Face
- Oconto County University of Wisconsin Extension, Cooperative Extension: Baking Soda -- The Everyday Miracle
- "Baking Soda"; Vicki Lansky
- "500 Uses for Baking Soda"; Joshua Trent
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. PubChem. Compound Summary for CID 516892, Sodium bicarbonate.
- Hadzic M, Eckstein ML, Schugardt M. The impact of sodium bicarbonate on performance in response to exercise duration in athletes: A systematic review. J Sports Sci Med. 2019;18(2):271-281
- Ciancio SG. Baking soda dentifrices and oral health. J Am Dent Assoc. 2017;148(11S):S1-S3. doi:10.1016/j.adaj.2017.09.009
- Birt D, From L, Main J. Diagnosis and management of long-standing benign oral ulceration. Laryngoscope. 1980 May;90(5 Pt 1):758-68. PMID: 6990140.
- American College of Gastroenterology. Acid reflux.
- Hughes A, Brown A, Valento M. Hemorrhagic encephalopathy from acute baking soda ingestion. West J Emerg Med. 2016;17(5):619-22. doi:10.5811/westjem2016.6.30713
- Al-Abri SA, Olson KR. Baking soda can settle the stomach but upset the heart: Case files of the Medical Toxicology Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco. J Med Toxicol. 2013;9(3):255-8. doi:10.1007/s13181-013-0300-4
- Krustrup P, Ermidis G, Mohr M. Sodium bicarbonate intake improves high-intensity intermittent exercise performance in trained young men. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2015;12:25. doi:10.1186/s12970-015-0087-6
- McNaughton LR, Siegler J, Midgley A. Ergogenic effects of sodium bicarbonate. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2008;7(4):230-6. doi:10.1249/JSR.0b013e31817ef530
- de Brito-Ashurst I, Varagunam M, Raftery MJ, Yaqoob MM. Bicarbonate supplementation slows progression of CKD and improves nutritional status. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009;20(9):2075-84. doi:10.1681/ASN.2008111205
- Yang M, Zhong X, Yuan Y. Does baking soda function as a magic bullet for patients with cancer? A mini review. Integr Cancer Ther. 2020;19:1534735420922579. doi:10.1177/153473542092257
- Yang T, Doherty J, Zhao B, Kinchla AJ, Clark JM, He L. Effectiveness of commercial and homemade washing agents in removing pesticide residues on and in apples. J Agric Food Chem. 2017;65(44):9744-9752. doi:10.1021/acs.jafc.7b03118
- Qamaruz-Zaman N, Kun Y, Rosli RN. Preliminary observation on the effect of baking soda volume on controlling odour from discarded organic waste. Waste Manag. 2015;35:187-90. doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2014.09.017
- Al-Abri SA, Kearney T. Baking soda misuse as a home remedy: case experience of the California Poison Control System. J Clin Pharm Ther. 2014;39(1):73-7. doi:10.1111/jcpt.12113
- Di Iorio BR, Bellasi A, Raphael KL, Santoro D, Aucella F, Garofano L, Ceccarelli M, Di Lullo L, Capolongo G, Di Iorio M, Guastaferro P, Capasso G; UBI Study Group. Treatment of metabolic acidosis with sodium bicarbonate delays progression of chronic kidney disease: the UBI Study. J Nephrol. 2019;32(6):989-1001. doi:10.1007/s40620-019-00656-5
Kimbry Parker has been writing since 1998 and has published content on various websites. Parker has experience writing on a variety of topics such as health, parenting, home improvement and decorating. She is a graduate of Purdue University with a Bachelor of Arts in organizational communication.