What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Being told that you suffer from an incurable form of cancer or a terminal disease can be quite devastating. Medications and treatments may not be able to completely remove affected tissue or reverse the progression of disease. Medical advancements have enabled many people afflicted with non-curable diseases to live longer while managing symptoms of their illnesses. There are many such diseases for which scientists continue to seek a cure.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Small Cell Lung Cancer
Lung cancer is a deadly disease in which the average survival is 2 to 4 months without treatment, says MedlinePlus 12. It states that 15 percent of lung cancers are of the small cell type. This type of lung cancer can rapidly spread and create havoc in the body 1.
Symptoms of small cell lung cancer include shortness of breath, wheezing, coughing up blood, unintentional weight loss and chest pain 1. This type of lung cancer can also lead to a poor appetite, fever, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing and facial swelling 1. In some cases, it can lead to weakness and changes in the voice.
Small cell lung cancer typically occurs as a result of smoking 1.
Chemotherapy medications such as etopside, along with radiation treatment may help manage the symptoms of small cell lung cancer but does not cure it 1. MedlinePlus says that surgery only helps a few people as small cell lung cancer typically spreads by the time it is discovered 1.
- Lung cancer is a deadly disease in which the average survival is 2 to 4 months without treatment, says MedlinePlus 1.
- Chemotherapy medications such as etopside, along with radiation treatment may help manage the symptoms of small cell lung cancer but does not cure it 1.
Final Stages of AIDS
Alzheimer's disease, also known as senile dementia, is a disease that affects the ability to think, remember and behave normally 2. According to MedlinePlus, death from Alzheimer's disease typically occurs due to infections or organ failure 12.
Signs of Alzheimer's disease include cognitive impairments such as forgetting conversations, names of relatives and having the inability to solve even minor problems 2. Other symptoms include getting lost on familiar paths, misplacing things and having personality changes.
A family history, being female and experiencing head trauma are believed to be risks for the development of Alzheimer's disease 2. The cause of Alzheimer's disease is unknown, though genes and the environment may play a role, says MedlinePlus 12.
No cure exists for Alzheimer's disease but medications such as donezepil and memantine can be used to manage symptoms 2. Supplements such as vitamin B12 and herbs such as ginkgo biloba can also be used to manage symptoms.
- Alzheimer's disease, also known as senile dementia, is a disease that affects the ability to think, remember and behave normally 2.
- A family history, being female and experiencing head trauma are believed to be risks for the development of Alzheimer's disease 2.
Specific symptoms of this disease include:
- trouble concentrating
- personality changes
- memory problems
- social withdrawal
- muscle spasms
- a lack of coordination
CKD can also lead to trouble walking, hallucinations, blurry vision, blindness and a coma. Other possible effects include infections, respiratory failure and heart failure, says the Mayo Clinic.
Final Stages of AIDS
Types of Lung Infections
Common Cell Diseases
Drugs That Cause Peripheral Neuropathy
List of Acute Diseases
Signs & Symptoms of a Lack of Oxygen to the Brain
Causes of Chest Tightness and Cough
List of Painful Terminal Diseases
How to Prevent Brain Cancer
List of Common Human Diseases
- MedlinePlus: Lung Cancer
- MedlinePlus: Alzheimer's Disease
- Mayo Clinic: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
- Dela Cruz CS, Tanoue LT, Matthay RA. Lung cancer: epidemiology, etiology, and prevention. Clin Chest Med. 2011;32(4):605–644. doi:10.1016/j.ccm.2011.09.001
- Siegel RL, Miller KD, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2019. CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians. 2019;69(1):7-34. doi:10.3322/caac.21551
- Bradley SH, Kennedy MPT, Neal RD. Recognising Lung Cancer in Primary Care. Adv Ther. 2019;36(1):19–30. doi:10.1007/s12325-018-0843-5
- Chheang S, Brown K. Lung cancer staging: clinical and radiologic perspectives. Semin Intervent Radiol. 2013;30(2):99–113. doi:10.1055/s-0033-1342950
- Popper HH. Progression and metastasis of lung cancer. Cancer Metastasis Rev. 2016;35(1):75–91. doi:10.1007/s10555-016-9618-0
- Lemjabbar-Alaoui H, Hassan OU, Yang YW, Buchanan P. Lung cancer: Biology and treatment options. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015;1856(2):189–210. doi:10.1016/j.bbcan.2015.08.002
- Farbicka P, Nowicki A. Palliative care in patients with lung cancer. Contemp Oncol (Pozn). 2013;17(3):238–245. doi:10.5114/wo.2013.35033
- Bae K, Kim E, Kong JL. Integrative cancer treatment may have a survival benefit in patients with lung cancer: A retrospective cohort study from an integrative cancer center in Korea. Medicine (Baltimore). 2019;98(26):e16048. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000016048
- Ooi KH, Cheo T, Soon GST, Leong CN. Spontaneous regression of locally advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore). 2018;97(31):e11291. doi:10.1097/MD.0000000000011291
- Sparla A, Flach-Vorgang S, Villalobos M. Individual difficulties and resources - a qualitative analysis in patients with advanced lung cancer and their relatives. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2016;10:2021–2029. Published 2016 Oct 3. doi:10.2147/PPA.S110667
- King J, Rigney M, Carter-Harris L. MA10.10 Lung Cancer Stigma: A Ten-Year View of Patient, Provider, and Public Attitudes About Lung Cancer. Journal of Thoracic Oncology. 2018;13(10). doi:10.1016/j.jtho.2018.08.402
- Lung Cancer. American Cancer Society. https://www.cancer.org/cancer/lung-cancer.html
- How Is Lung Cancer Diagnosed and Treated? Centers for Disease Control (CDC), July 19, 2018. https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/lung/basic_info/diagnosis_treatment.htm
- Learn About Lung Cancer. American Lung Association. https://www.lung.org/lung-health-and-diseases/lung-disease-lookup/lung-cancer/learn-about-lung-cancer/
- Lung Cancer Screening. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/lung-cancer-screening/about/pac-20385024
- Pass J, Carbone D, Johnson D. et al. Principles and Practice of Lung Cancer. 4th Ed. Williams and Wilkins: 2010.
Lisabetta Divita is a physician whose love for writing flourished while she was exposed to all facets of the medical field during her training. Her writings are currently featured in prominent medical magazines and various online publications. She holds a doctorate in medicine, a master's in biomedicine, and a Bachelor of Science in biology from Boston College.