What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 14.3 million people in the United States had a major depressive episode in 2008; this number constitutes 6.4 percent of the U.S. population in that year. One medication used to treat depression is a serotonin modulator named trazedone, available starting at a dose of 50 mg. According to MedlinePlus, trazedone belongs to a class of drugs that increases the amount of serotonin, a naturally-occurring substance in the brain 1. However, taking this drug comes with multiple possible side effects.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Mild Side Effects
Serious Side Effects
Bad Side Effects From Wellbutrin
Drugs.com and MedlinePlus list certain serious side effects that may accompany trazodone use which warrant immediate medical attention 12. These side effects include: feeling light-headed and/or fainting; flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills and body aches; difficulty urinating; chest pain that may spread towards the arm or shoulder or a heavy feeling in the chest. Certain additional side effects may indicate an allergic reaction; these side effects include skin rash, difficulty breathing, swelling of the face, lips and/or tongue. If any of these side effects occur, consult a doctor.
- Drugs.com and MedlinePlus list certain serious side effects that may accompany trazodone use which warrant immediate medical attention 1.
- These side effects include: feeling light-headed and/or fainting; flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills and body aches; difficulty urinating; chest pain that may spread towards the arm or shoulder or a heavy feeling in the chest.
Psychological Side Effects
MedlinePlus also reports the occurrence of other psychological side effects associated with taking trazedone 1. These side effects include:
- extreme worry
- panic attacks
- aggressive behavior
- an abnormal level of excitement
Seek medical attention immediately if these side effects occur.
Bad Side Effects From Wellbutrin
Mental & Emotional Effects of Ritalin
A List of Tricyclic Antidepressants
Side Effects of Tramol
Can I Take 5-HTP With Effexor?
Adco-Talomil Side Effects
Bupropion SR 150mg Side Effects
Sexual Side Effects of Ambien
Can I Drink Grapefruit Juice With Wellbutrin?
Signs and Symptoms of Too Much Serotonin
- MedlinePlus: Trazodone
- Drugs.com Trazodone
- MedlinePlus. Trazodone. Updated April 15, 2017.
- Trazodone (Oral Route) Precautions. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/trazodone-oral-route/precautions/drg-20061280. Published September 1, 2020. Accessed October 1, 2020.
- Food and Drug Administration. Trazodone highlights of prescribing. Updated June 2017.
- Oleptro™ (trazodone hydrochloride) extended-release tablets. P T. 2011;36(2):2-18.
Leah DiPlacido, a medical writer with more than nine years of biomedical writing experience, received her doctorate in immunology from Yale University. Her work is published in "Journal of Immunology," "Arthritis and Rheumatism" and "Journal of Experimental Medicine." She writes about disease for doctors, scientists and the general public.