An increase in chronic childhood disease is part of the reason parents today seek alternative health care for kids. Chiropractic care is an effective and affordable program by licensed providers that addresses children’s health conditions associated with the nervous and musculoskeletal systems. Gentle, noninvasive and drug free, chiropractic adjustments treat, resolve and prevent a wide range of health problems. Recent research by the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association (ICPA) found spinal manipulative therapy safe and successful in treating children of all ages.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Acute conditions may result from birth trauma, sports mishaps and accidental injury. Chiropractic care benefits children by correcting the spinal alignment to improve their overall health. When vertebral joints are misaligned during birth or from a blow or fall, muscle tissue and nerves may also be affected. Spinal adjustment frees joints, restores motion and relieves nerve pressure, which may be the cause of additional ailments. Parents report successful treatment of children’s health issues such as acute earache, upper respiratory infection, muscle pain, neck pain and accident trauma. Spinal manipulation for children as young as newborn babies is an alternative treatment for the discomfort of colic and other digestive disorders as well.
- Acute conditions may result from birth trauma, sports mishaps and accidental injury.
- When vertebral joints are misaligned during birth or from a blow or fall, muscle tissue and nerves may also be affected.
Good Exercises for Spinal Bifida Occulta
Parents surveyed by the ICPA reported behavioral improvement for kids who saw a chiropractor, as well as improved sleep and stronger immune systems. Although scientific evidence in these areas is still inconclusive, the growing number of those seeking children’s health care from chiropractors (up 8.5% since 1991, according to the American Chiropractic Association) is a positive endorsement of its benefits. Chiropractic America reports that natural, drug-free chiropractic care is sometimes more effective than traditional medical approaches for chronic earache, scoliosis and neck pain. Headaches and sleep disorders of nonspecific causes respond well to spinal adjustments, which affect and repair interrupted neural pathways. Asthma and allergy symptoms and patterns of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) may also be treatable with chiropractic.
- Parents surveyed by the ICPA reported behavioral improvement for kids who saw a chiropractor, as well as improved sleep and stronger immune systems.
- Chiropractic America reports that natural, drug-free chiropractic care is sometimes more effective than traditional medical approaches for chronic earache, scoliosis and neck pain.
Success in these areas has implications for chiropractic care’s preventive capacity. Periodic ongoing adjustments at a young age may help stave off the above ailments before they begin. Proper spinal alignment now may delay or prevent degenerative bone or joint disease, such as osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. In addition to maintaining children’s health, regular visits to the chiropractor also instill the value of proactive health care in kids. They’ll be more likely to monitor and manage their health as they grow up and less likely to be afraid or in denial of any health problems. Encouraging good lifelong health habits is one of chiropractic’s best benefits for kids.
- Success in these areas has implications for chiropractic care’s preventive capacity.
- In addition to maintaining children’s health, regular visits to the chiropractor also instill the value of proactive health care in kids.
Good Exercises for Spinal Bifida Occulta
Cons of Chiropractic Care
Scoliosis Exercises to Lose Belly Fat
Is Chiropractic Manipulation OK Post Spinal Fusion?
Cervical Traction Contraindications
Middle Ear Effusion Treatment
What Are the Benefits of Yoga for Seniors?
Causes of Throbbing Ear Pain
Symptoms of Thoracic Spine Problems
How Effective Is Massage Therapy to Treat Scoliosis?
- Branney J, Breen AC. Does inter-vertebral range of motion increase after spinal manipulation? A prospective cohort study. Chiropr Man Therap. 2014;22:24. doi:10.1186/s12998-014-0024-9
- Haas M, Spegman A, Peterson D, Aickin M, Vavrek D. Dose response and efficacy of spinal manipulation for chronic cervicogenic headache: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Spine J. 2010;10(2):117-28. doi:10.1016/j.spinee.2009.09.002
- Digiorgi D. Spinal manipulation under anesthesia: a narrative review of the literature and commentary. Chiropr Man Therap. 2013;21(1):14. doi:10.1186/2045-709X-21-14
- American Chiropractic Association. American Board of Chiropractic Specialties (ABCS).
- Margach RW. Chiropractic functional neurology: An introduction. Integr Med (Encinitas). 2017;16(2):44-45.
- Bryans R, Descarreaux M, Duranleau M, et al. Evidence-based guidelines for the chiropractic treatment of adults with headache. J Manipulative Physiol Ther 2011; 34: 274-89. doi:10.1016/j.jmpt.2011.04.008
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Use of yoga, meditation, and chiropractors among U.S. adults aged 18 and over.
- National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Chiropractic: in depth. Updated April 2019.
- National Health Statistics Report. Trends in the use of complementary health approaches among adults: United States, 2002–2012. Updated February 10, 2015.
- University of Minnesota. Taking Charge of Your Health & Wellbeing. How can I find a qualified chiropractor?
Nancy Clarke began writing in 1988 after achieving her Bachelor of Arts in English and has edited books on medicine, diet, senior care and other health topics. Her related affiliations include work for the American Medical Association and Oregon Health Plan.