Brewer’s yeast contains many nutrients important for healthful hair. It contains the B vitamins biotin, riboflavin, thiamine, niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine and folic acid. It’s also a source of selenium. All of these nutrients contribute to the health of your hair. There are many ways to incorporate this nutritional powerhouse into your diet. Try it on popcorn, in soups or sauces, on salad, mixed with butter on broccoli or in mashed potatoes.
Brewer’s yeast is a rich source of biotin, which is essential for hair growth, according to the University of Maryland 1. Biotin is a coenzyme that helps the body break down and build up protein, according to HealingWithNutrition.com. This affects hair growth because hair is made of a protein called keratin, according to KidsHealth.org. Biotin also aids cell growth, other B vitamin utilization, and fat and glucose metabolism, according to HealingWithNutrition.com. Coenzymes are substances that attach to enzymes in the body and are essential to the activities those enzymes are responsible for, according to Biology-Online.org.
- Brewer’s yeast is a rich source of biotin, which is essential for hair growth, according to the University of Maryland 1.
- Biotin is a coenzyme that helps the body break down and build up protein, according to HealingWithNutrition.com.
Benefits of C2 Green Tea
The riboflavin found in brewer’s yeast is vital for skin, hair and nail strength and growth. It is a water-soluble vitamin, so must be taken into the body daily. This vitamin also aids in breaking down carbohydrates, proteins and fats in the body, according to HealingWithNutrition.com.
Folic Acid and B6
Brewer’s yeast boosts hair health with its folic acid and vitamin B6. A deficiency in folic acid can lead to graying hair, according to HealingWithNutrition.com. Lack of pyridoxine, or vitamin B6, can lead to hair loss. That’s because vitamin B6 helps block conversion of testosterone into DHT, according to MyHairLossAdvisor.com 3. Higher levels of DHT are found in men with male pattern baldness than men who do not have this condition.
- Brewer’s yeast boosts hair health with its folic acid and vitamin B6.
- That’s because vitamin B6 helps block conversion of testosterone into DHT, according to MyHairLossAdvisor.com 3.
Other B Vitamins
Vitamins for Dandruff
Other B vitamins in brewer’s yeast boost general health and body functions, thus contributing to hair health, according to The University of Maryland Medical Center 1. Pantothenic acid, or vitamin B5, aids regulation of hormones that are involved in skin and hair health, according to MyHairLossAdvisor.com, and is critical for energy metabolism in the body, according to HealingWithNutrition.com 3. Niacin boosts scalp circulation, according to MyHairLossAdvisor.com, and helps in the digestion of fats, proteins and carbohydrates, according to HealingWithNutrition.com 3. Thiamine also aids in carbohydrate metabolism and circulation, according to the university and HealingWithNutrition.com.
Brewer’s yeast contains selenium 1. Selenium works hand in hand with vitamin E to destroy free radicals that damage cell membranes. Lack of vitamin E or improper ability of the body to use vitamin E can lead to dry or dull hair and hair loss. Selenium also improves the elasticity in skin.
- Brewer’s yeast contains selenium 1.
Benefits of C2 Green Tea
Vitamins for Dandruff
Could Numbness in Feet Be Caused by a Vitamin Deficiency?
Lecithin for Hair Growth
Good Vitamins for Dry Hair
Dry and Brittle Hair & Diet
Folic Acid & Gray Hair
Vitamin Deficiencies That Cause Gray Hair
Can You Reverse Balding With Diet?
Nioxin Side Effects
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Brewer’s Yeast
- Holisticonline.com: Hair Loss
- Myhairlossadvisor.com: Hair Loss Nutrition
- Mount Sinai Health System. Brewer's yeast information.
- Offei B, Vandecruys P, De Graeve S, Foulquié-Moreno M, Thevelein J. Unique genetic basis of the distinct antibiotic potency of high acetic acid production in the probiotic yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae var. boulardii. Genome Res. 2019;29(9):1478-1494. doi:10.1101/gr.243147.118
- Hatoum R, Labrie S, Fliss I. Antimicrobial and probiotic properties of yeasts: From fundamental to novel applications. Front Microbiol. 2012;3. doi:10.3389/fmicb.2012.00421
- Cayzeele-Decherf A, Pélerin F, Leuillet S, et al. Saccharomyces cerevisiae CNCM I-3856 in irritable bowel syndrome: An individual subject meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol. 2017;23(2):336-44. doi:10.3748/wjg.v23.i2.336
- Talbott SM, Talbott JA. Baker's yeast beta-glucan supplement reduces upper respiratory symptoms and improves mood state in stressed women. J Am Coll Nutr. 2012;31(4):295-300. doi:10.1080/07315724.2012.10720441
- Dharsono T, Rudnicka K, Wilhelm M, Schoen C. Effects of yeast (1,3)-(1,6)-beta-glucan on severity of upper respiratory tract infections: A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study in healthy subjects. J Am Coll Nutr. 2018;38(1):40-50. doi:10.1080/07315724.2018.1478339
- Hosseinzadeh P, Javanbakht MH, Mostafavi SA, et al. Brewer's yeast improves glycemic indices in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Int J Prev Med. 2013;4(10):1131-1138.
- Hosseinzadeh P, Djazayery A, Mostafavi SA, et al. Brewer's yeast improves blood pressure in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Iran J Public Health. 2013;42(6):602-609.
- Chiaro T, Soto R, Zac Stephens W et al. A member of the gut mycobiota modulates host purine metabolism exacerbating colitis in mice. Sci Transl Med. 2017;9(380):eaaf9044. doi:10.1126/scitranslmed.aaf9044
- Izadnia F, Wong CT, Kocoshis SA. Brewer's yeast and Saccharomyces boulardii both attenuate Clostridium difficile-induced colonic secretion in the rat. Dig Dis Sci. 1998;43(9):2055-2060. doi:10.1023/a:1018811331596
Linda Tarr Kent is a reporter and editor with more than 20 years experience at Gannett Company Inc., The McClatchy Company, Sound Publishing Inc., Mach Publishing, MomFit The Movement and other companies. Her area of expertise is health and fitness. She is a Bosu fitness and stand-up paddle surfing instructor. Kent holds a bachelor's degree in journalism from Washington State University.