What does fact checked mean?
At Healthfully, we strive to deliver objective content that is accurate and up-to-date. Our team periodically reviews articles in order to ensure content quality. The sources cited below consist of evidence from peer-reviewed journals, prominent medical organizations, academic associations, and government data.
The information contained on this site is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for the advice of a professional health care provider. Please check with the appropriate physician regarding health questions and concerns. Although we strive to deliver accurate and up-to-date information, no guarantee to that effect is made.
Rocephin is an intravenously administered antibiotic designed to fight bacteriological infections. The generic version is known as ceftriaxone 1. Rocephin may also be prescribed for use prior to surgery in order to help prevent getting an infection during the procedure. Rocephin is classified as a cephalosporin antibiotic that prevents bacteria from growing and kills bacteria already in your system.
If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, seek emergency treatment immediately.
Serious Common Side Effects
If you are given an injection of Rocephin, you may experience some common yet serious side effects. Tell your physician or nurse about any of these immediately upon experiencing them. They include diarrhea, tar-like stools, uncommon weakness, pain in the chest, chills, uncommon tiredness, cough, abnormal bleeding or fever. Other common serious side effects include:
- abnormal bruising
- urination that is difficult or painful
- glandular swelling
- shortness of breath
- throat soreness
- or sores in the mouth or on the lips
- If you are given an injection of Rocephin, you may experience some common yet serious side effects.
- Other common serious side effects include: * abnormal bruising
* urination that is difficult or painful
* glandular swelling
* shortness of breath
* throat soreness
* or sores in the mouth or on the lips
Serious Rare Side Effects
Ketoderm Side Effects
Patients have reported other serious side effects from Rocephin, but these are considered rare, according to the Mayo Clinic 1. They include:
- joint inflammation
- abdominal cramping
- pain in the stomach
- legs or back
- abdominal bloating
- discoloration of the skin (usually blue)
Others may include
- skin paleness
- appetite loss
- breathing problems
- fast heartbeat (tachycardia) or an irregular heartbeat,
- severe diarrhea
You also may experience a rash, swallowing difficulties, vomiting blood, wheezing and halitosis.
Other Serious Side Effects
Ceftriaxone also may create certain side effects that have been reported but not documented in clinical studies, according to the Mayo Clinic 1. Paralysis also has been reported from the use of ceftriaxone 1. Tell your doctor immediately about any of these side effects. There also have been some reports of mental depression and mood changes, but these were not found in clinical trials, according to RxList.com 2.
Non-Serious Side Effects
Levaquin 500 mg Side Effects
If you are taking ceftriaxone over a period of time, you may experience some side effects at first that will disappear as you acclimate to it 1.
Ketoderm Side Effects
Levaquin 500 mg Side Effects
Side Effects of Ace Inhibitors & Beta Blockers
Side Effects of a Meningitis Vaccine
How to Treat Ringworm That Won't Go Away
Allergies to Triple Antibiotic Cream
Decadron Injection Side Effects
Sulfameth/Trimethoprim Side Effects
Prescription Medications to Treat Ringworm
Trazodone 50 mg Tablet Side Effects
- Mayo Clinic: Ceftriaxone
- RxList.com: Rocephin
- Fair RJ, Tor Y. Antibiotics and bacterial resistance in the 21st century. Perspect Medicin Chem. 2014;6:25-64. doi:10.4137/PMC.S14459
- Fisher J, Ganellin CR, IUPAC. Analogue-based Drug Discovery (1st Edition). Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley VCH Books; 2006.
- Kapoor G, Saigal S, Elongavan A. Action and resistance mechanisms of antibiotics: A guide for clinicians. J Anaesthesiol Clin Pharmacol. 2017;33(3):300-5. doi:10.4103/joacp.JOACP_349_15
- Lupin Pharmaceuticals. Ceftriaxone injection, powder, for solution. Updated October 2018.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. Cefepime.
- Dimovska-Gavrilovska A, Chaparoski A, Gavrilovski A, Milenkovikj Z. The importance of perioperative prophylaxis with cefuroxime or ceftriaxone in the surgical site infections prevention after cranial and spinal neurosurgical procedures. Pril (Makedon Akad Nauk Umet Odd Med Nauki). 2017;38(2):85-97. doi:10.1515/prilozi-2017-0026
- Yimer EM, Hishe HZ, Tuem KB. Repurposing of the β-lactam antibiotic, ceftriaxone for neurological disorders: A review. Front Neurosci. 2019;13:236. doi:10.3389/fnins.2019.00236
- Khan ZA, Siddiqui MF, Park S. Current and emerging methods of antibiotic susceptibility testing. Diagnostics (Basel). 2019;9(2):49. doi:10.3390/diagnostics9020049
- Trubiano JA, Stone CA, Grayson ML, et al. The 3 Cs of antibiotic allergy-classification, cross-reactivity, and collaboration. J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2017;5(6):1532-42. doi:10.1016/j.jaip.2017.06.017
- Karimzadeh P, Fallahi M, Kazemian M, Taslimi Taleghani N, Nouripour S, Radfar M. Bilirubin induced encephalopathy. Iran J Child Neurol. 2020;14(1):7-19.
- B Braun Medical. Ceftriaxone for injection and dextrose injection. Updated 2009.
- Fakoya AOJ, Omenyi P, Anthony P, et al. Stevens-Johnson syndrome and toxic epidermal necrolysis; Extensive review of reports of drug-induced etiologies, and possible therapeutic modalities. Open Access Maced J Med Sci. 2018;6(4):730-8. doi:10.3889/oamjms.2018.148
- Blumenthal KG, Peter JG, Trubiano JA, Phillips EJ. Antibiotic allergy. Lancet. 2019 Jan 12;393(10167):183-98. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32218-9
- Leicht HB, Weinig E, Mayer B, Viebahn J, Geier A, Rau M. Ceftriaxone-induced hemolytic anemia with severe renal failure: a case report and review of literature. BMC Pharmacol Toxicol. 2018;19(1):67. doi:10.1186/s40360-018-0257-7
- Al-Jashaami LS, Dupont HL. Management of Clostridium difficile infection. Gastroenterol Hepatol (N Y). 2016;12(10):609-16.
Carole Anne Tomlinson is a registered nurse with experience in rehabilitation, nutrition, chemical dependency, diabetes and health problems related to the elderly. Tomlinson holds a Bachelor of Arts in criminal justice and is presently working on her master's degree in nursing. Her screenplays have been viewed by Merchant Ivory, Angela Lansbury and Steven King's associates.